Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Official November 27 Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 11:38 PM
WhamATC

*Jon invites Walleris on stage infront of 50000 people for a speech about Bon Jovi and Jon*

Old 12-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
I'm not so sure. As someone pointed out, if he knew this would be the last tour, they'd market it as such. Unless they think they make enough tickets and money anyways, which seems to be the case.

I'd still say the decline has stopped for now, instead he's making small improvements. Which makes sense, since he seems to have to relearn the songs to know which voice/technique to use for which lines/words. Will it get better to a tolerable level? Or will it get worse after improving a bit? Time will tell...

I sure hope this isn't the last tour, because I'd like my kids to see them and they're too small yet, but dig the music (THINFS and Roller Coaster, to be exact) very much.
I don't think even Jon could tell that by now, but he's more realistic than some fans. After his depression, I'm sure he wanted to get back to the routine of album/touring, but at the same time he's mentioned it more than before that touring is the part he clearly hates the most. Plus that interview in the Spiegel magazine in late 2016/early 2017:
Jon: "I told my wife we'd be going to tour..."
Dorothea: "Why?"
Jon: "To make some money..."
Dorothea: "That's a shitty reason"
Jon: "I realized that she was right. I need to find something to make it interesting for me as well..."
And I've never seen this guy more uncomfortable and insecure on stage than for big junks of the THINFS tour. Can't imagine what mental mountain he has to climb to get up to that mic night after night...
Old 12-01-2018, 01:20 AM
WhamATC

I wonder why he dislikes touring? He seemed to really like it more than 15 years ago. I guess it's cause of time outside of touring, spend time with some other stuff and voice too?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:50 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamATC View Post
I wonder why he dislikes touring? He seemed to really like it more than 15 years ago. I guess it's cause of time outside of touring, spend time with some other stuff and voice too?
Like spending some time with his daughter? Sorry, but pun intended

Anyhow, yeah, I think bonjovi90 is right, he has to climb some mountain to get up on stage every night, when it was he who commanded the band to tour every other year... Very strange...
Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamATC View Post
Travelling the world is just not for everyone. Most people hate the constant change of surroundings, the waiting at airports and waiting to get from a to b. It's not just getting to the show, it's getting in your airplane, in your tourbus, in your hotel room. It's all 5 stars but the waiting is still the same. If you can't enjoy that, you won't enjoy touring. It also doesn't help if you're like Jon and spend your time on the road in your hotel room as opposed to actually doing some sightseeing it gets lonely and boring quite soon. I've started travelling the world 5 years ago and I reckon I've seen more of the world than Jon has in the 35 years he's spend touring it.

Now usually the shows are the things that make it all worth it but nowadays he's barely able to make it through a song, let alone an entire show without ****ing up somewhere. With all the smiles, waves and pointing he does after he butchers something he comes across as some nervous wreck who knows he's in a desperate need to cover up the many mistakes he makes every night. He's not got much to worry about when it comes to his audiences when people still go and buy tickets for this cluster**** and say performances like Sat. Night from this show are worth "a 7,5" or "not that bad". It really shows how much faith he has in his own material. He could loosen up a bit yet it's remarkable how he can't do shows on autopilot anymore and it's more boring than ever.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 12-01-2018 at 07:27 AM..
Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 AM
These Days

Quote:
Like spending some time with his daughter? Sorry, but pun intended
Nah, I have it on good authority that Jon thinks "that’s really not a great excuse." Might not have been a bad idea, though, when you think about it.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 12-01-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Jon recently said he wasn't depressed, only growing as a person or some kind of similar bullshit.

I think denial is still strong. Sure, "depression" is a blanket for many shitty feelings and it's used very liberally, but you don't do a personality 180, look like a deer caught in the headlights and as if you'd rather be somewhere else every single show night and call it improvement

At least stink eye thrower extraordinaire Jon had some damn passion inside and cared about the show, even when he was being a dick. This robo Jon is ****ing sad to watch.

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 12-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
Jon recently said he wasn't depressed, only growing as a person or some kind of similar bullshit.

I think denial is still strong. Sure, "depression" is a blanket for many shitty feelings and it's used very liberally, but you don't do a personality 180, look like a deer caught in the headlights and as if you'd rather be somewhere else every single show night and call it improvement

At least stink eye thrower extraordinaire Jon had some damn passion inside and cared about the show, even when he was being a dick. This robo Jon is ****ing sad to watch.
couldn't agree more!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post

It's funny (and sad even more), I watched clips from Japan and Australia with my wife, who has some experience in that regard, and the first thing she said about Jon is "depression". In her view, that would explaind a great many things, and I tend to agree. His voice being shot to pieces I don't buy for a minute. For that, he's able to hit too many high notes he couldn't even in 2011. Maybe it's more that he's having to relearn how to sing the songs, because his voice has lowered quite a bit and the muscle memory doesn't really fit anymore. Combine that with being insecure and all that cluster**** about Richie, his daugther, the record company, and you've got someone hanging on to dear life at the mic, afraid of getting everything wrong, and in succession succeeding at that.

On a side note: we've been watching Munich 2011 again, and even there he still had the tendency to cling to the mic stand and make the "open arms" gesture after some difficult parts. So it's not all new, as I thought, it's only been getting worse... But, his body gesture was all different in 2011 (and even 2013, though then he already looked a bit like not really wanting to be there).
Old 12-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
(and even 2013, though then he already looked a bit like not really wanting to be there).
IIRC he said he "was burned out" the last day of the tour in 2013, that he was on depression then "why should I put myself through all that again?" and if he was going to tour again would have to be his desire and not only money.
Seeing the show in Australia, as I said on that thread he doesn't look happy.