Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sex Sells

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 05:55 AM
The Distance

Default Sex Sells

I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times over but I have a few questions.

Jon was supposed to release back to back solos in the late 90's. Does anyone know why SS was squashed? I've heard people say they released Crush instead but that was 2 years later and only a coulple songs were recycled. Was it b/ DA failed commercially?

And what was the Listening Party? Where was it? Are those songs live? The sound is so bad, I can't even tell. Are there any fans on this board who were there that could elaborate?

When was it even written and recorded being that DA was released in '97 and Jon toured it in '97 '98? When did he have time for this Sex Sells album that I belive was supposed to be released in '98 '99? I know he wrote DA while making movies. Did he write the SS songs at the same time? I'd say no b/c the songs sound so much different.

I find this "lost" album interesting. What was the reason for doing back to back solos? Why spend all that money and time writing / recording and then squash it?

And last, what do you think of those songs? Good Ain't Good Enough? Last Chance Train? Rich Man, etc?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times over but I have a few questions.
Since I joined probably a dozen topics about it have been created. But I'll answer anyway. Please remember I'm 18 and probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Jon was supposed to release back to back solos in the late 90's. Does anyone know why SS was squashed? I've heard people say they released Crush instead but that was 2 years later and only a coulple songs were recycled. Was it b/ DA failed commercially?
It was not because DA failed commercially. There were even advertisements out for it. No one really knows why it wasn't released.

Quote:
And what was the Listening Party? Where was it? Are those songs live? The sound is so bad, I can't even tell. Are there any fans on this board who were there that could elaborate?
As far as I know, no one here has heard any of Sex Sells apart from the stuff released on the boxset and Bsides.

Quote:
When was it even written and recorded being that DA was released in '97 and Jon toured it in '97 '98? When did he have time for this Sex Sells album that I belive was supposed to be released in '98 '99? I know he wrote DA while making movies. Did he write the SS songs at the same time? I'd say no b/c the songs sound so much different.
Can't answer this question as not much was said about the album. It only takes 2 weeks in a studio to make an album though. I'm sure there was time. Many artists write music on the road.

Quote:
I find this "lost" album interesting. What was the reason for doing back to back solos? Why spend all that money and time writing / recording and then squash it?

And last, what do you think of those songs? Good Ain't Good Enough? Last Chance Train? Rich Man, etc?
I think it was a good album, much better than anything that came after it. Neurotica, Garageland, Ordinary People and Temptation are all good songs. It was just dropped and no one knows the real reason why.

Last edited by Panda; 05-08-2011 at 06:21 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 AM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Since I joined probably a dozen topics about it have been released. But I'll answer anyway. Please remember I'm 18 and probably don't know what I'm talking about.
While I totally agree where you are coming from in this squabble, you really should just drop it.

P.S: Garageland is awesome. As is Real Life.

Last edited by TwinFan; 05-08-2011 at 06:25 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Jovi FANatic

Sex Sells the title was later switched to Crush when the title track was dropped. I don't know much about a 2n solo album other than a lot of songs were written. I know nothing of original intentions.

You will see Sex Sells posters in the Band's Real Life video.

I love Last Chance Train, Crazy Love, and Sleep While I dream. Rich Man is okay but I can never seem to turn it off once it has started. I guess I really do like it even though I know I'd make fun of you if I caught you listening to it

I drove all night down streets that wouldn't bend
But somehow they drove me back here once again...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
As far as I know, no one here has heard any of Sex Sells apart from the stuff released on the boxset and Bsides.
Most of us have heard it, although a very badly recorded version from the fan club listening party.

AFAIK Sex Sells started out as a Jon's solo, became a band album, then Dave hurt his finger and the recordings had to be delayed. After the break SS recording process morphed into what became Crush. Most of the songs were deemed "not so good" so they wrote "better" songs.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
I wasn't there but I can confirm 100% that it was demos played from a CD.

Quote:
Given that Jon has his own studio, and more money than he could ever spend, he wouldn't really consider it wasted I'm sure-even if the songs don't get released in solo form they can alway be turned into Jovi songs or sold to other artists.

Quote:
I love Rich Man... and I love You Can Sleep While I Dream too. Some of the others were pretty good too. I'd love to hear Sex Sells though if it was deemed good enough to be title track-theoretically making it as good as Keep The Faith and These Days! :O
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 AM
These Days

What I can remember reading was that Jon was ready to go with his third solo album in '98 but there was some problem at the record company which meant that there had to be a fairly prolonged delay in any release, bringing it into '99. Jon decided instead to get the band back together and use his songs and Richie's songs for what would've been Sex Sells produced by Bruce Fairbairn. Bruce sadly died and the band interviewed a lot of potential new producers and decided on Luke Ebbin. They then continued to work on the songs, rewrite/record some, and write and record new ones and Sex Sells, the song, was dropped, and Sex Sells, the album, morphed into what became Crush.

So there really was no lost album, no more than there was a lost album with Have A Nice Day when they decided to rework and rewrite that one.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 05-08-2011, 12:20 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
So there really was no lost album, no more than there was a lost album with Have A Nice Day when they decided to rework and rewrite that one.
Yes there was, you've got your history a bit mixed up there. The band had recorded some songs already and then Fairbairn died. When Luke came in he steered the band into a completely different direction, changed the tone of the songs and the band re-recorded several stuff. It's why Satellite sounds so different from the rest of the Sex Sells demo's. With Have A Nice Day only 2 songs were changed, with Sex Sells there were over 30 songs and yet only a few of them were used for Crush.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
It's why Satellite sounds so different from the rest of the Sex Sells demo's.
Is Satellite a Fairbrain's production? If so, what other known SexSells/Crush era songs were produced by him?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
I wasn't there but I can confirm 100% that it was demos played from a CD.

Does anyone know the date of this? I'm trying to put together a timeline between DA and SS. Between written, recorded, and released

Also where it was played? I'm sure in NJ but where?

So musically, we got TD in 95. Tour '95 '96. DA '97 Tour '97 '98 And then lets say SS in late '98. It's hard for me to judge this album based on the songs we know b/c most are demos and it's musically all over the place. Would you say it's fits the post 2k mode or more of a 80/90's vibe?

To me Last Chance Train is 80's. Temptation is 90's. Shadow Dancing is '00

And someone above said Real Life but that was specifically written for the soundtrack. I love the tune and the musical direction. tI was a more back to basics sound. Was this their last origional soundtrack?

Anyone like Mr Big Time by the way?

Last edited by Rdkopper; 05-08-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Tags
sex sells