Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Open All Night Revisited

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Default Open All Night Revisited

When the Box Set was released, the These Days era track became one of my all time favorite band songs, particularly with the lyrical content accurately mirroring my own feelings at the time being in the midst of letting go of a relationship. I felt that out of the 3 tracks utilizing the title, this one was the best. It was just magical in it's arrangement, complete with the apprehensive build up of "Baby! Baby! Baby! Baby!!" to reassuring chorus and then the break down pre-solo.

Now I can barely listen to the song. I'm not sure if it's the changes in taste I've had since going bionic or if I'm a bit soured on the song since it comes from a time that I don't tend to look back on with as much optimism as the song had offered up at the time.

Now having cut ties with the relationship of that time completely, I found myself focused on recovering and revamping myself (hence why I've not been around here too much,) determined to keep myself single to not lose sight of my personal goals of self improvement as well as not cause any emotional strain. I needed a break. I wanted to be sure that I didn't repeat any mistakes that I had with relationships in the past.

It always comes out of nowhere doesn't it? Sappy as it sounds, it came at me like a truck out of a place where I least expected it and thought I was safe from. There was no way to deny it. I happened to discover the first track to appear on an album with the title "Open All Night," off Bounce at the same time this was happening. I wouldn't have expected I'd ever really appreciate that version. I did find it touching upon the initial listen when the album was first released, but boring. I guess it helps to live it to change your perspective. The quieter mood of the song is perfect for what it is saying.

It's truly a shame the song is overshadowed on the album by too many boring and soulless ballads that wind up getting lumped together. A common complaint about those ballads is that they lack pain. Yet, Open All Night is wracked with it.

I got your taste in the back of my mouth
I want to reach in and pull it out
And I'd be lying if I didn't say
When you're this close I'm afraid
Of the way I'll feel if I touch your hair
The way I'll miss you when you're not there
And that I'll see you when I close my eyes
It's too late, I've crossed that line

That entire verse summed it all up way too perfectly.

The only negative comment I have about the song is the line "It's 2 am, it's last call, baby. The barkeep's gone, I'll walk you home now. Save me, baby" It really doesn't fit with the rest of the song and winds up coming off as tacked on from some other song. It makes the song sound like they've just met at a bar, but if you read the verse I quoted above, it's obvious that it's a relationship that has been on-going. Either that or they just met and the guy has serious emotional problems that she needs to run like **** from. Perhaps it's the same guy from "Always?" at least if you believe the stalker interpretation Jon was pulling out of his ass. I think I'll just keep filtering that one line out.

Keep going back over those albums over time, even those you may have written off as crap. You never know what you'll discover that you didn't hear the first time around.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:49 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
It's truly a shame the song is overshadowed on the album by too many boring and soulless ballads that wind up getting lumped together. A common complaint about those ballads is that they lack pain. Yet, Open All Night is wracked with it.

I got your taste in the back of my mouth
I want to reach in and pull it out
And I'd be lying if I didn't say
When you're this close I'm afraid
Of the way I'll feel if I touch your hair
The way I'll miss you when you're not there
And that I'll see you when I close my eyes
It's too late, I've crossed that line

That entire verse summed it all up way too perfectly.
I liked the song from the beginning. It's repetitive, but I still think it's one of the best lyrics they've written in a long time.

Quote:
The only negative comment I have about the song is the line "It's 2 am, it's last call, baby. The barkeep's gone, I'll walk you home now. Save me, baby" ... It makes the song sound like they've just met at a bar, but if you read the verse I quoted above, it's obvious that it's a relationship that has been on-going.
I have a different take on the song. I've always seen it as a man who's been in a relationship with someone, but thing's ended up not too beautifully. And he meets this girl in a bar, they hit it off and the guy is dead afraid of getting into another relationship, because he fears he's going to get hurt again. But this beat up girl just makes him want to protect her, but also she needs her to save himself from the pain he's going through. If you'll allow this, sounds like something you're going through yourself.

Quote:
Keep going back over those albums over time, even those you may have written off as crap. You never know what you'll discover that you didn't hear the first time around.
This rarely happens to me, but I agree that people should listen more and judge less.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetmisery

In the end, it still all comes to personal taste.

Me, after listening to it many times, its still one of my favorites(box set); Bounce version IMO isnt as good. I tend to like a song too when Im "feeling" it then lose interest til the next time I visit those emotions, but whenever I dont feel the song, I enjoy it for what its tune.

Last edited by sweetmisery; 04-04-2007 at 10:04 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Blaze of Posting

I like both versions.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Jovi Fan

Send a message via AIM to gabbiandandy Send a message via MSN to gabbiandandy

I have no idea what IMO is someone please help! Probably being really stupid! lol
Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbiandandy View Post
I have no idea what IMO is someone please help! Probably being really stupid! lol
In my opinion

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

I had a similar discovery of this song a few years ago. It doesn't fit with the album at all, but on it's own it's magic. I can't say the same for "You had me from hello" but Open all night is just gorgeous.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I have a different take on the song. I've always seen it as a man who's been in a relationship with someone, but thing's ended up not too beautifully. And he meets this girl in a bar, they hit it off and the guy is dead afraid of getting into another relationship, because he fears he's going to get hurt again. But this beat up girl just makes him want to protect her, but also she needs her to save himself from the pain he's going through. If you'll allow this, sounds like something you're going through yourself.

Ice
Well put and you're right, it does describe my feelings accurately. We did/do need each other.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I had a similar discovery of this song a few years ago. It doesn't fit with the album at all, but on it's own it's magic. I can't say the same for "You had me from hello" but Open all night is just gorgeous.
The title alone irks as well as the song just being plain boring even if you want to play something "feel good." Postcards From the Wasteland does a better job of being in that vein without being irritating. Taking All About Loving You and You Had Me From Hello off and replacing it with Postcards and Open All Night as the representative ballads of the album allows for both to compliment the album rather than drag it down. Among the rockers though, Hook Me Up and maybe The Distance (it could stand to be produced differently) are about the only ones that are standing the test of time for me. Right Side of Wrong also still holds up though not much in the way of personal empathy...but it was a decent attempt at something different.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Blaze of Posting

I've always liked the song since Bounce came out, it just doesn't fit at all with the rest of the album. And on the contrary to the other love ballads on Bounce it sounds and feels honest. Same can't be said for "All about lovin you" and "You had me from hello".
I like the boxset version but IMO it's not as good.

Tags
open all night (2002)