Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

An In-Depth Review of My Bon Jovi Central Park Experience.

Tour Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Blaze of Posting

Default An In-Depth Review of My Bon Jovi Central Park Experience.

(Note: This details my whole day's worth of ups and downs, if you just want to read the show review go down until you hit THE CONCERT ITSELF)

Well, the Central Park concert was quite an interesting experience to say the least. We left Staten Island on the 5 o'clock Ferry, and there we discovered the first problem of the day: Lauren and Greg's (Two of my friends) tickets were East Side, and Teresa's and mine were West Side. After freaking out about this the entire cab ride down to 72nd Central Park West, we learned as soon as we arrived that the East and West Side distinctions meant absolutely nothing. So, quite relieved, we took our spot within the fist twenty spots online.
At this point, a news reporter from WABC 7 asked us and the group behind us if we'd be willing to sing a Bon Jovi song live on TV. We did, and it went over so well that we ended up appearing on 6 different live TV broadcasts on four different networks, and on three different radio stations. Surreal was the understatement of the century right there.
After our little foray with celebrity ended, we waited for 2 PM, when we were supposed be let into the park. When said time did finally come, every fear we've all had about the organization reared their ugly heads. The crowd up-rushed, and everyone's places in line became almost for nought. Once the security checkpoint arrived, our group forced our way back o the front, as we would not let our waiting go in vain. Security did end up taking my camera, which at first I wasn't that upset about.
After said checkpoint, we walked the rest of the way to the Great Lawn, where they held us for several minutes, before letting us loose Free For All style, with everyone charging for the front. We didn't run, but we did end with a spot about 9th row center at a real show. The organization on the field was even worse, as NONE of the sections were blocked off, and people kept packing into the front all day, even when there was no real room. I also began to notice that almost everyone around had cameras, which really pissed me off since my camera had been taken away. Add on to that the fact that this is the closest I've ever been at a show, and I was really upset about how so many great pictures I could have had. I still want to know why they stopped confiscating cameras, but I digress. In any case, we sat their waiting until about 7, when everyone in the crowd stood up and crowded into standing positions, which put us about 8th row center.

THE CONCERT ITSELF:
I don't know what went wrong in Sarnia, or in Detroit, but I do know the band I saw tonight was absolutely ON FIRE.
New York, New York - Central Park - 7/12/08
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME
LOST HIGHWAY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
RUNAWAY
SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD w/ Twist & Shout
BLAZE OF GLORY
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
IN THESE ARMS
WE GOT IT GOIN' ON
IT'S MY LIFE
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU - RICHIE VOCALS
HAVE A NICE DAY
KEEP THE FAITH
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout

ENCORE:
ALWAYS
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE
I LOVE THIS TOWN

The set itself was perfect for the venue, and perfect for the audience. Prayer absolutely worked as an opener, and while I still think it shouldn't be on regular basis, it really set up the crowd. Bad Name came in and knocked us all on our asses. LH sounded rockier than the last times I've seen it, but lost a bit of the casuals. BTBMB won them right back however. Runaway, while still not one of my favorite song, was tighter than I've ever heard it personally. The lack of Time Warp intro didn't hurt either, as I can't stand that thing anymore. Sleep went over big, and the crowd exploded for Twist And Shout, which works so much better in Sleep then on it's own. I blew up when Blaze started, as I'd never heard the real version live before. I was breathtaking, and I honestly thought that would be the easy highlight of the night for me. Little did I know what would happen later. First though, WLOL went over better than LH, though again lost people, and Jon really hammed the "Do we got it anymore?" line. ITA brought the crowd all the way back in, and was great minus a Bobby B. solo. WGIGO was the only new song that lost no one, as everyone seemed to be way into. It's My life was deafening, literally. I could barely hear for about a minute after the song ended. I've waited until IBTFY to even mention Richie's name in this thread. The man was on fire tonight, best I've ever personally seen him by far. And whatever was wrong with him illness wise seems to have passed, as he nailed IBTFY. And before you ask, the outro solo was delivered perfectly by Mr. Sambora, as it always should be. HAND came out of left field as I expected a slow song (MaM maybe, or I dared dream Always), and it again was deafening. Who Says came next, and was it's usual elongated self. At this point I started thinking about the encore, since I figured BM would finish the main set when Jon finished "alrighting". Obviously Wanted would be played, and I figured ILTT would follow, since it was an MLB event. I even texted JJx23 that prediction, as we'd been texting back and forth all night. BTW, Bad Medicine was almost as deafening as IML, though once again would be better served minus Shout. As the band readied for the encore, I figured it would be Wanted and ILTT, for the reasons I said before, but still hoping blindly for Always. In fact, so strong was that hope that when the band got into their encore positions, I was saying aloud "Please hit it Tico, Please hit it Tico, Please hit it Tico." Sure enough he did, and I screamed my ****ing head off. The band launched into a stunning version of Always. I couldn't believe how good it was, and that I was finally hearing it after all these years. Bumped Blaze right down to the number 2 slot for the night. After Always, the encore went exactly as I predicted. Wanted was great as per usual, and while I don't care for ending on ILTT it made some sense for this gig, and Jon made a lovely speech about NY firefighters and police officers post 9/11. Besides I got Always, everything after that was cake.
So all in all, it was a long day, and I need to sleep soon, but in the end it was a great show performance-wise, and even though the set was vanilla, I got two ABSOLUTE GEMS that I'd never heard before, while sitting as close as I've ever sat. Not to shabby I'd say, though I still wish I had pics.

Last edited by Crushgen24/88; 07-13-2008 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

nice read, thanks
Dave
1995 - 1 show
1997 - 2 shows
1998 - 2 shows
2000 - 12 shows
2001 - 14 shows
2002 - 3 shows
2003 - 22 shows
2006 - 1 show
2008 - 1 show
2010 - 5 shows
2011 - 3 shows
2013 - 3 shows
Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Jovi Obsession

Glad you enjoyed it! Shame about your camera..

Wembley Stadium 2000
Glasgow, Dublin, Huddersfield, Milton Keynes, Cardiff 2001
Glasgow, Dublin, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Hyde Park 2003
Dublin, Munich, Manchester, Southampton, Hull 2006
The o2 London 2007
Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Manchester, London 2008
The o2 London - 8 nights, 2010
Dublin, Hyde Park 2011
Manchester, Hyde Park, IOW 2013
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

really appreciate the review, glad u hada great time...

Dawn

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bon-Jo...41182859285688

JOVITALK LIVING ON A PRAYER VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHD8FJtJQ4

Dry County 8th June 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3Yi...eature=related

ALL I NEED IS YOU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UDWk6e_aE
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Glad you had a great time. I agree the way they kept letting people pack into tha first section was ridiculous. Trying to get in and out trying to get drinks and such was a feat in itself. lol People were getting mad because you had to step on their blankets and stuff, but what choice was there. lol I was completely floored when they played Always too. I had waited to hear that song for years, and then heard it for the first time at Giants 2006, but that was the TLFR version, so in effect I was really hearing it for the first time last night as well. It was beautifully done. It sucks that you got your camera taken away, so did my son's gf, so you weren't the only one even though it may have seemed like it.
3. Giants 7/29/06 TD, I Am, WITW, Undivided...need I say more?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Jovi Geek

Loved your review Brian! I'm glad you stopped me so I could give you a hug. My friend Jennifer and I ended up sitting with one of my camera friends so we were in the back right but had an awesome spot because we were protected by a cage for the camera,lol, so there were no people crowding us. We were able to dance like maniacs!! I had a blast and had a lot more fun and enjoyed the show way more than I thought I would.

deb
Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 PM
These Days

great review did you manage to get your camera back?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometownboy View Post
great review did you manage to get your camera back?
No I bought a new one, which lead to some funny ironic bullshit today.
See my review in the 7/14/08 PBP thread.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Jovi FANatic

Great to read your review, I almost got tears in my eyes when I read your reaction to Always!!
Hope it wasn't an expensive camera? Why couldn't you get it back?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Suddenly

Smile good!

bump the thread up.--------------------------------our wow gold site:buy wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,