Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Def Leppard + Poison to Tour

Other Bands

Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Dry County

Well... I could have, but why would I choose as exemplory the only Cheap Trick single not written by the band?

In an interview with Gerry Galipault, Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos: "Tom (Petersson) rejoined (in 198, and then the vice president at Epic told us he had these 2 songs and they're both gonna be #1. He goes, 'We got one for you and one for the group Chicago, but you can have first choice.' He said, 'I think the one 'The Flame' would be good for you guys.' The other one was 'Look Away,' and it sounded like some girl singing on the demo. We really didn't like that song anyway, so 'Sure, we'll do 'The Flame.' We're game.'"

This was Cheap Trick's only #1 hit. It was written by songwriters Bob Mitchell and Nick Graham. The song is a soft ballad where the singer tells a girl he will always be there for her. It was not typical of Cheap Trick's sound, and was also their only hit not written by their guitarist Rick Nielsen

Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Jovigirl90

Kinda annoys me how sheffield aint on the list
Its only the home town an all !! haha

Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008

Bon Jovi - O2 Stadium london 17th June 2010
Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeExcellent View Post
Well... I could have, but why would I choose as exemplory the only Cheap Trick single not written by the band?

In an interview with Gerry Galipault, Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos: "Tom (Petersson) rejoined (in 198, and then the vice president at Epic told us he had these 2 songs and they're both gonna be #1. He goes, 'We got one for you and one for the group Chicago, but you can have first choice.' He said, 'I think the one 'The Flame' would be good for you guys.' The other one was 'Look Away,' and it sounded like some girl singing on the demo. We really didn't like that song anyway, so 'Sure, we'll do 'The Flame.' We're game.'"

This was Cheap Trick's only #1 hit. It was written by songwriters Bob Mitchell and Nick Graham. The song is a soft ballad where the singer tells a girl he will always be there for her. It was not typical of Cheap Trick's sound, and was also their only hit not written by their guitarist Rick Nielsen
Who cares? It's still a Cheap Trick single. Many bands have their softer songs, but to label them as "dentist music" is just friggin' stupid.

Is Metallica "dentist music" because of Nothing Else Matters?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2k86 View Post
Really? I admit the Yeah!/Sparkle Lounge tours have not been great, but from what I've seen/heard from the Adrenalize/Slang/Euphoria tours, Joe sounded very good. Have you not seen Tokyo 1999?
Sorry I missed your reply/question amongst the miasma

I never heard/saw the Tokyo 99 show.

I saw them in 92 and my wife and I figured Joe was having a rough night late in the tour, next time was 8/18/99 and it was pretty bad (recorded it), then 7/30/00 awful (recorded it), and finally 9/10/06 again dreadful (recorded), I have heard a handful of boots of decent recording quality over the years and most of them were very weak vocally. He is able to sing fine when not on tour but I think his voice is too fragile for the abuse it gets, I have heard TV live perfomances that were fine. Dave

1995 - 1 show
1997 - 2 shows
1998 - 2 shows
2000 - 12 shows
2001 - 14 shows
2002 - 3 shows
2003 - 22 shows
2006 - 1 show
2008 - 1 show
2010 - 5 shows
2011 - 3 shows
2013 - 3 shows
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Dry County

With Leppard, the complaint goes beyond the ballads - production that rounds off all the rough edges, empty radio-friendly lyrics*, little desire to surprise or excite. They are sanitized by pretty much any measure and targeted squarely at commercial radio.

They're just too, too formulaic. It's not a matter of whether they have ballads or pretty songs, just that every bit of personality they have is watered way down for comercial reasons**.

To deliver a universal sentiment in an accessible way is no bad thing, but they don't have the ability to do it in a unique or interesting way. At least since Hysteria***. Is it the band that really impresses you or is it Mutt Lange - do they sound that different to Bryan Adams or Shania Twain?

When Def Leppard or Poison do make an emotional connection do they touch something that is unique to you, help you really make sense of rebellion/loneliness/whatever or is it just bland statements about partying/my baby/rock 'n roll? You see Def Leppard live and even they don't seem to enjoy their shows.

Neither of them bad bands, but I don't see how you could really love them, believe and them and be inspired by them in 2009. Poison particularly haven't even added anything new to their own back catalogue in god knows how long, let alone anything of worth.

It's fun to live in 1987 every now and then, but it just boggles how they can still have such appeal.

Cheap Trick for their fans though are just one of those bands. You would know anyone who shared the interest to just be supercool. There's a thread for them somewhere, will look at youtube and see what's worth posting here.

* Been covered elsewhere around here

** The Flame being the only Trick single where that happened, pretty much in the slipstream of Mid 80's Def Leppard and Jovi, and a creative lowpoint from the band.

Even comparing ballads like for like, their own Voices is in a different league. It pulls the heart. Real feelings, mostly sadness (good thing in a love song), and a ****ing awesome coda.

*** Love Bites IS awesome.

Last edited by BeExcellent; 03-03-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK View Post
Do Poison really have a big enough market in the UK?
On their own they'd fill Kentish Town Forum, Nottingham Rock City or Dudley JBs - not much more. They'd probably be a big enough support act to push Def Leppard into arenas rather than theatres.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
On their own they'd fill Kentish Town Forum, Nottingham Rock City or Dudley JBs - not much more. They'd probably be a big enough support act to push Def Leppard into arenas rather than theatres.
And what sort of venues would Cheap Trick be able to fill? I'm not sure what you're taking offence at here, I hardly think the band are being coerced into supporting Posion and Def Leppard ... I expect their record sales and ticket sales of their own future tours will benefit from the extra exposure that playing bigger venues will bring

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Cut myself on angel hair
Slippery When Wet

Send a message via MSN to UKjovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
And what sort of venues would Cheap Trick be able to fill? I'm not sure what you're taking offence at here, I hardly think the band are being coerced into supporting Poison and Def Leppard ... I expect their record sales and ticket sales of their own future tours will benefit from the extra exposure that playing bigger venues will bring
I would have thoughts so too because i bet there's a lot of people that never heard of cheap trick
Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjovi View Post
I would have thoughts so too because i bet there's a lot of people that never heard of cheap trick
There, in a nutshell, is what I was getting pissed off about. That so many people don't look beyond the mainstream when music can be so much more rewarding. This was just one example of a wider problem.

I don't begrudge CT the tour - it is great that they'll reach people who've never heard them before.

On their own in the UK, the biggest venue they played in recent years was the Albert Hall. Typically they'll draw a couple of thousand in London and play a few 800 seaters around the country.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
There, in a nutshell, is what I was getting pissed off about. That so many people don't look beyond the mainstream when music can be so much more rewarding. This was just one example of a wider problem.
Well, some people listen to and enjoy music but it's not their passion. Therefore there's no real drive to look beyond what's readily available, especially when they're already getting enjoyment out of it. Not everyone looks to music for some deeper spiritual mind-blowing soul-grabbing heart-stealing influence. Maybe they are passionate about something else that affects them in the way music does for others.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...

Tags
def leppard, poison