Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Runaway Tour Sept 23-25 Las Vegas

Tour Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Undiscovered Posts

I don't think Jon is a superficial person. This is a harsh statement.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Default Understandably so...if he reads 1/3 of the nagging complains in Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
He might not admit it publicly but he still and i dont think ever will be over Richie leaving.
Understandably so, if he reads 1/3 of the nagging complains in the facebook group from people asking for Richie to come back or saying things like "No Sambora - No Bon Jovi" - on the Bon Jovi official facebook page, 5 years after he left, under each and every post....It's insane, stupid, out of touch with the band's current reality and quite frankly, rude - but there you go.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

He loves I Will Drive You Home enough to do it repeatedly I wonder if he had his it would have been on the album proper?

EDIT: What a weird comment he made about Cincinnati Ohio.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:04 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Thanks Yovana.

Good news.

Nobody asked about Hurricane butterly or Rage of Angels?
damn fans.

His voice either.
No one knows about it but us and anyone else doesn't care. The sad truth.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Has Jon declarted that there's not much of a difference between a solo and a band album, these days?

Plus he stated that there're not plans of reunion with Richie.
That sounds so boring. Jon admits that he push hard on the band doing albums and tours without stopping, however, a couple of solo albums would have been a solution to all these problems. The band rests and returns renewed, and Jon can continue feeding his passion to write and go on tour with a different band. But I guess it's all about money (and feed the ego). And that's why this band is completely burned and feels bad.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-25-2018 at 10:24 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 PM
These Days

It's really sad how far Jon has fallen. He's only 56 too.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 09-25-2018, 11:25 PM
These Days

@Yovana: Thanks for posting the links!!

I love Jon's humor in a couple of places during the Q&A:

Q: If you weren't a rock god, what would you have been?
A: Unemployed

Q: Do you ever forget lyrics?
A: Of course not, there's a whole book of 'em right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Has Jon declarted that there's not much of a difference between a solo and a band album, these days?..
Yep, and it's not the first time.

Quote:
...But the group's face and voice seems less compelled to venture out on his own, reasoning that [the band's] collective efforts "are at least as much my solo projects as they are band records."

He pauses again, perhaps not wanting to sound immodest. "Obviously, everyone contributes to what we do," Bon Jovi says. "And we all feel great about where we're at, and where we've been. And where we're going... "
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...rview/1920023/

"Obviously, everyone contributes to what we do..." Funny. That's not how he remembered it just a few years later.

Given that the article was published on Feb 26, 2013, it would seem that either Jon was clueless about how "we all" really felt; or else things went south in a hurry. Because little more than a month after the interview, it was clear that at least one of "we all" did not feel great about where they were at, where they had been, and where they were going. Or more likely, as the reporter suggested, perhaps Jon realized how much the first statement revealed about his attitude and started spinning because he didn't want to sound "immodest".
Old 09-25-2018, 11:50 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
... but Living In Sin, IML and especially Who Says are still painful to listen to. The guy's voice is still shot, let's leave it at that...
After watching this (and finally watching the rest of the Tarrytown fundraiser beyond IWDYH), what bothers me isn't the quality of Jon's voice, per se; it's the way he suddenly can't seem to follow the melody. I've been thinking, all along, that it was because his range had gotten lower, and he was struggling to just reach the high notes, much less tune them beyond a certain point. That's not unusual. A lot of artists run into that when they age. But even on the lower songs, like the ones you mentioned, he's not singing on pitch more than half the time. LIS was almost completely monotone, with occasional shifts up or down one note from where he started; and in IML and Who Says he was just off-pitch in general. Missing a few notes here and there might be a range, vocal cord, or breath control issue. But missing more than you hit sounds like an inability to match tones.

I remembered reading that Derek Shulman once said when he first heard him, Jon "only had a range of about 3 or 4 notes and most of them were off-key" but he more than made up for it by being a front man whose star quality was undeniable. At the time, I thought he was exaggerating, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
After watching this (and finally watching the rest of the Tarrytown fundraiser beyond IWDYH), what bothers me isn't the quality of Jon's voice, per se; it's the way he suddenly can't seem to follow the melody. I've been thinking, all along, that it was because his range had gotten lower, and he was struggling to just reach the high notes, much less tune them beyond a certain point. That's not unusual. A lot of artists run into that when they age. But even on the lower songs, like the ones you mentioned, he's not singing on pitch more than half the time. LIS was almost completely monotone, with occasional shifts up or down one note from where he started; and in IML and Who Says he was just off-pitch in general. Missing a few notes here and there might be a range, vocal cord, or breath control issue. But missing more than you hit sounds like an inability to match tones.

I remembered reading that Derek Shulman once said when he first heard him, Jon "only had a range of about 3 or 4 notes and most of them were off-key" but he more than made up for it by being a front man whose star quality was undeniable. At the time, I thought he was exaggerating, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
Missing notes could easily be attributed to menieres disease which can affect a lot of musicians - maybe Jon is starting to show the effects of it.

That said - how old is the quote?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 AM
Jovi FANatic

saw the whole thing, got my bj fix...
A couple of random thoughts...
Enjoyable overall, jon not in very good form vocally, good spirits though..
Bed of roses sounded nice but it was lower key than usual...
He seems having time and tone issues which seems weird. a guy with jons experience cant suddenly face problems like these when in the past was spot n, my guess is he is too focused on his vocal performance..he is afraid he is gonna sound bad, a couple notes sound flat and because of that overthinking isnt a flowing performance some times.
He can hit some notes that an untrained ear would find impressive maybe but his technique has gone downhill, he should rework these songs to fit his voice, especially in an acoustic environment, thats a bit lazy from jon.
The back up band is great and did some nice harmonies as well. i d like to see jon make an album with that roster, or an ep, it wont happen but its obvious jon feels more and more calm and confident with them..
The Richie Sambora part was bitter for me...its clear jon hasnt fully got over it. his phrase this ship has sailed sounded absolute and i hope time and clear thinking make him reconsider. he mentioned how good shanks and phil x are sounding...which i will take as a joke...
Anyway since they are writing, and there are touring plans i guess a reunion isnt happening any time soon. (Phil x was asked recently on twitter if there are any plans for a new bj album and his response was since jon is a workaholic probably yes...just 2-3 weeks back which shows the formula with everyone working in the end is still going on...if you are Phil x, you joined the band etc etc why arent you included in the process...its mindboggling to me...jon doesnt truly appreciate him as a composer, only a shredder for 1-2 solos and phil x doesnt want to step over shanks shoes...i may be way off but that my take on this)
ps. jon doesnt want drama in bj(richie) but without any conficts there would not be rock n roll

Last edited by nikos greece; 09-26-2018 at 12:24 AM..