Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Runaway Tour Sept 23-25 Las Vegas

Tour Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 01:05 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
saying things like "No Sambora - No Bon Jovi" - on the Bon Jovi official facebook page, 5 years after he left, under each and every post....It's insane, stupid, out of touch with the band's current reality and quite frankly, rude - but there you go.

Are you kidding? I still not over Alec...

Old 09-26-2018, 01:08 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
Anyone have the set list?
1. Bad name
2. I will drive you home
3. Lost Highway
4. When We Were Beautiful
5. Bed Of Roses
6. Living in sin w/Chapel of Love
7. Color me in
8. Joey
9. It's my life
10. Who says
11. I put a Spell On You

Audibles were:
Prayer
Saturday Night
Amen

Europe will still be This House Is Not For Sale tour, and MAYBE new album in 2019 with tour in 2020...

I only kinda liked Roses and Spell on you
Seems like he doesn’t care (it almost sounds like a soundcheck to me)
and people got excited when he played Who says, really?
JBJ’s dancing sometimes is horrible, and that setlist is very boring... even his jokes and stories weren’t the best this time, maybe because those questions didn’t help either...
Old 09-26-2018, 01:55 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Missing notes could easily be attributed to menieres disease which can affect a lot of musicians - maybe Jon is starting to show the effects of it.

That said - how old is the quote?
The quote from Shulman? It was in one of the biographies, iirc. I want to say Daniels' or Jeffries'. It could have been in Daniels' Bon Jovi Encyclopedia. That was the first one that popped into my mind. I'll look for it, but it may take a while. Some of my books are still packed away.

I'm fairly sure the quote is at least 13 or 14 years old. Most of the books I've gathered predate my interest in BJ, and I started following them around 2005.

I'm not familiar with menieres disease. I'll look into it. Thanks!

EDIT: I just looked it up and as a disorder of the inner ear, it could explain a lot. Not only the off-pitch singing, but since the inner ear controls hearing and balance, it might explain him moving around less, his death grip on the mic, as well as the way he cups it. And the intermittent nature could also explain the inconsistency in performance levels that BJ Fan99 mentioned earlier. Man, I sincerely hope that's not it; but yeah, something like that would explain a few things.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 09-26-2018 at 03:05 AM..
Old 09-26-2018, 02:32 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
... i hope time and clear thinking make him reconsider. he mentioned how good shanks and phil x are sounding...which i will take as a joke...
I'm pretty sure it wasn't; but I like the way you think!

The part I thought surely had to be a joke (but probably wasn't), was this comment (about 31 minutes in): "It wasnt 'the darkness' it was 'the awakening'...I liked that. And I think this bigger, better, newer... y'know, me, and the band... "

I'm still trying to figure out on what planet and in which universe ANYBODY would think that what we have now is a "better" Jon OR a "better" band. Bigger and newer, I'll give him; but BETTER??? I seriously hope he's just whistling in the dark to save face, or trying to sell the hype; because if he truly believes that BS, he's gone waaaaay past delusional. He's certifiable! His brain is goo... I don't know of anyone who thinks this lineup or this Jon is better than they were 5 + years ago. (That's not quite true. I do know one person who thinks this is a "new and improved" version of Bon Jovi. But considering the source, I can't say that surprised me.)

I'll give the man credit for carrying on; I admire him for that. And anybody can see that it has been a struggle. And I think the band sounds good on THINFS and in the promo shows. But better than what they had before? No way. Even if you take the missing guitarist out of the picture, Jon's voice and stage presence, alone, would make that a ridiculous statement. Nice try, though, Jonny.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:57 AM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Missing notes could easily be attributed to menieres disease which can affect a lot of musicians - maybe Jon is starting to show the effects of it.

That said - how old is the quote?

Does JBJ have Ménière’s disease for sure? I’ve never heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2018, 04:03 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky0003 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he was just saying that something like that could explain the off-key notes I was talking about.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:10 AM
These Days

Quote:
...That said - how old is the quote?
I haven't found the specific source I remember; but here is a similar quote from a 2009 interview:

"...I saw the drive and the ambition of Jon Bon Jovi, despite the fact that he could only sing 5 notes and most of them out of tune. However, I could see the drive that he had in him to make it."

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/gentle-giant
Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
saw the whole thing, got my bj fix...
A couple of random thoughts...
Enjoyable overall, jon not in very good form vocally, good spirits though..
Bed of roses sounded nice but it was lower key than usual...
He seems having time and tone issues which seems weird. a guy with jons experience cant suddenly face problems like these when in the past was spot n, my guess is he is too focused on his vocal performance..he is afraid he is gonna sound bad, a couple notes sound flat and because of that overthinking isnt a flowing performance some times.
He can hit some notes that an untrained ear would find impressive maybe but his technique has gone downhill, he should rework these songs to fit his voice, especially in an acoustic environment, thats a bit lazy from jon.
The back up band is great and did some nice harmonies as well. i d like to see jon make an album with that roster, or an ep, it wont happen but its obvious jon feels more and more calm and confident with them..
The Richie Sambora part was bitter for me...its clear jon hasnt fully got over it. his phrase this ship has sailed sounded absolute and i hope time and clear thinking make him reconsider. he mentioned how good shanks and phil x are sounding...which i will take as a joke...
Anyway since they are writing, and there are touring plans i guess a reunion isnt happening any time soon. (Phil x was asked recently on twitter if there are any plans for a new bj album and his response was since jon is a workaholic probably yes...just 2-3 weeks back which shows the formula with everyone working in the end is still going on...if you are Phil x, you joined the band etc etc why arent you included in the process...its mindboggling to me...jon doesnt truly appreciate him as a composer, only a shredder for 1-2 solos and phil x doesnt want to step over shanks shoes...i may be way off but that my take on this)
ps. jon doesnt want drama in bj(richie) but without any conficts there would not be rock n roll
The part about Phil x is spot on. He only played 4 or 5 solos on THINFS and seemingly had no input into the guitar parts on the album - which is staggering considering how good he is and how much Jbj said he saved the band.
The same thing will happen with the new album. It will be 12 average songs, with short solos in 3/4 of them and none in the rest . With Phil X on-board Bon Jovi should be making a guitar orientated rock album not the utter dirge THINFS was.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 09-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky0003 View Post
No idea - it's pure speculation, but it would explain the lack of ability to hit notes, and the inconsistancy.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I haven't found the specific source I remember; but here is a similar quote from a 2009 interview:

"...I saw the drive and the ambition of Jon Bon Jovi, despite the fact that he could only sing 5 notes and most of them out of tune. However, I could see the drive that he had in him to make it."

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/gentle-giant
Thanks for that. Not sure it's true of pre-2009 JBJ though!