Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Instagram Warning

NBJ - Everything Else

Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Instagram Warning

If you have kids, you might want to take note of this. This morning my co-worker's ten year old grandson had federal agents show up at his house because he's being targeted by a pedophile on Instagram. The pedophile has been posing as a ten year old girl. The Feds told the parents that Instagram is the worst thing on the internet for kids to use because it gives their name, location, phone number, and photos. They told the parents that Instagram is the "weapon of choice" of pedophiles and sex traffickers. They warned that the man's next step was likely to try to set up a meeting with the 10 year old to try to take him. He had been sending sexualized messages along with warnings like, "Don't tell your parents or they won't let us talk anymore." He also had pictures of the 10 year old's four year old sister.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

I use instagram on a very regular basis, and my phone number and location are actually not visible at all. Those are all things I can choose to display, but do not. This is the same as facebook, or snapchat or whatever else - You choose what you want to show. And if you're stupid with it, then don't use it. If kids aren't aware on how to properly use social media, this is the parents fault.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:15 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
If kids aren't aware on how to properly use social media, this is the parents fault.
NO ONE under the age of thirteen should have their own Internet account, with or without the consent of low-tech or NO-tech parents!

For your future reference:

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 10-29-2021 at 01:52 AM..
Old 02-27-2015, 02:25 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

We all know practically every kid who's old enough to hold a phone has one these days. That's I posted this. People who have kids need to be vigilant and watch what their kids are doing on social media. They're going to get on it one way or the other.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I use instagram on a very regular basis, and my phone number and location are actually not visible at all. Those are all things I can choose to display, but do not. This is the same as facebook, or snapchat or whatever else - You choose what you want to show. And if you're stupid with it, then don't use it. If kids aren't aware on how to properly use social media, this is the parents fault.
Exactly.

Why bother getting yourself educated when you can be paranoid?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:55 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
2019 UPDATE: When she was 8...Mari Copeny...wrote a letter to President Obama asking him to meet with her and a group of people coming to Washington D.C. (about) the Flint Michigan USA (polluted) water crisis...He responded...(by) coming to Flint...

(She)...was crowned “Little Miss Flint” by her followers on social media...She has (since) spoken...at the Science March in Washington D.C. (and) at the United Nations Girl Up Leadership Conference...

Yesterday, her mom noticed...that many adult males were trying to have private conversations with the (now)-11 year old...(She)...took over Little Miss Flint's (Twitter) account...publicly told the(m) to stay out...(and) also exposed the(ir) names and faces...
Welcome to the twenty-first century, Mom! Your under-underaged daughter being a PUBLIC figure is all the MORE reason why her online presence should have been monitored from day one!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 11-20-2021 at 12:40 AM..