Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Favourite and least favourite production of a Bon Jovi album

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Posting Always

Keep the Faith is probably my favourite - the songs on the whole have stood the test of time. The worst is between What About Now and Crush which was overrated in my opinion. I don’t think the songs from either of those albums age well and I couldn’t tell you the last time I listened to either of them.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:08 PM
These Days

Best = These Days
Worst = 7800 Farenhite
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 AM
These Days

These Days was the best. The sound is organic and it would have come off well in any era.

Worst I would say is What About Now, with Bounce being a closed second. Both albums were trying to capture the sound of yesterdays rock music, but in both cases those trends were already fading away by the time the albums came out and both times it really limited Richie's guitar contributions. It also didn't help that Jon was had already declined some in 2012, which perhaps caused Shanks wanting to put more effects on his voice, and for this reason, WAN would be my least favorite production.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:46 AM
Livin' on a Post

I have a bad ear for little details, I'm not a expert in production but I really like the production on Slippery, clean sound, I can really hear the bass through the whole album... NJ, KTF, TD sound good but too me not as good as SWW.
I don't know if it's because I never had a great sound system to listen so I can really hear little things underneath the big stuff but... The worst is WAN, THINFS right after and I love THINFS, especially the Palladium live album, the songs sound great there but on the actual album... Even the songs I like on WAN sound terrible on studio, What's Left of Me always had a Someday I'll Be Saturday Night vibe for me live, especially the BBB and Stutgart versions but on the studio sound like a generic pop rock song
Keep The Faith
Bounce
Lost Highway
This House Is Not For Sale
Crush
The Circle
Bon Jovi
7800º Fahrenheit
Have A Nice Day
Burning Bridges
What About Now
Old 07-02-2021, 10:16 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
These Days sounds the least dated. Everything prior, songs are great but you can really tell KTF is from '92 but TD just feels really timeless.
The general use of horns and the sitar (or whatever it is) on Something for the Pain sound 90s as ****. And not in a good way TBH, it sounds a bit bloated at times.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

My favorite is definitely These Days. There's honestly nothing about it that I would change.

KTF, New Jersey and Slippery sound great too, and as for more "modern" albums I think Lost Highway has the best sounding production, especially on Make A Memory.

Honorable mention to Crush - I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is, but there's something about the production that really hits a spot for me. Perhaps it's my tendency to romanticize that era

My least favorite production would have to be on THINFS or WAN, even though I actually really like both albums (yes even WAN), but the production is just so unclear and compressed.

And as much as it pains me to say this, as it's one of my favorite BJ albums, HAND sounds quite unclear and compressed in places too, and I think that's really such a shame.

With those albums it's like you listen to the CDs and some songs have the sound quality of a sh*tty MP3 you downloaded from YouTube in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
Honorable mention to Crush - I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is, but there's something about the production that really hits a spot for me. Perhaps it's my tendency to romanticize that era
Agree - Crush as a very clean crisp production which works perfectly. It's not flashy but for the time and the songs it's great.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
My favorite is definitely These Days. There's honestly nothing about it that I would change.

KTF, New Jersey and Slippery sound great too, and as for more "modern" albums I think Lost Highway has the best sounding production, especially on Make A Memory.

My least favorite production would have to be on THINFS or WAN, even though I actually really like both albums (yes even WAN), but the production is just so unclear and compressed.

And as much as it pains me to say this, as it's one of my favorite BJ albums, HAND sounds quite unclear and compressed in places too, and I think that's really such a shame.

With those albums it's like you listen to the CDs and some songs have the sound quality of a sh*tty MP3 you downloaded from YouTube in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think HAND is a great sounding album, besides the two big singles, for me they never did justice to those songs live, never sounded as good as the record
Keep The Faith
Bounce
Lost Highway
This House Is Not For Sale
Crush
The Circle
Bon Jovi
7800º Fahrenheit
Have A Nice Day
Burning Bridges
What About Now
Old 07-02-2021, 06:49 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
The general use of horns and the sitar (or whatever it is) on Something for the Pain sound 90s as ****. And not in a good way TBH, it sounds a bit bloated at times.
I loved something for the pain at the time, but you're right, it hasn't aged as well as the rest of the record. I still don't think I'd change anything about the record, but that song does seem a little out of place now, especially coming after Hey God.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqleonardo View Post
I think HAND is a great sounding album, besides the two big singles, for me they never did justice to those songs live, never sounded as good as the record
Regarding the songs and musical performance I totally agree with you - HAND sounds great! As I said it's one of my favorites.

However, I think the sound quality sounds quite compressed in places and as a very vocal-focused listener I feel like the vocals unfortunately kinda drown in the mix sometimes. I prefer a production where the vocals really shine on top of the mix - which is part of the reason why I named Make A Memory as an example of a very well-produced song, because the vocals sound very clear and really stand out of the mix on that song.