Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Judge Clears Stairway To Heaven Copyright For Trial

Other Bands

Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Something for the Posts

Default Judge Clears Stairway To Heaven Copyright For Trial

MSN.com: A trial is needed to determine if Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven copies its opening notes from a song performed by the rock band Spirit...

(A) federal judge has ruled...that lawyers for the trustee of late Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe had shown enough evidence to support a case that Stairway to Heaven copies music from the Spirit song Taurus.

"Taurus" was written by Wolfe in either 1966 or 1967, years before Led Zeppelin released "Stairway to Heaven" in 1971...(L)awyers for Wolfe's trustee may be able to prove they are substantially similar...

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 05-25-2020 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 02:28 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

That, to my ears sounds very similar. Can someone tell me why they would wait over 40 years however?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 AM
Something for the Posts

A legal loophole of sorts:
Quote:
Skidmore was able to overcome statute-of-limitations hurdles to sue over Stairway to Heaven because the song was remastered and re-released in 2014.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 04-13-2016 at 05:34 AM..
Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Something for the Posts

Led Zeppelin did not copy 'Stairway to Heaven' intro, jury finds

Music history will not be rewritten...A Los Angeles jury deliberated for about five hours before deciding the band did not steal its most famous licks from another band.

A jury found Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page not guilty of copyright infringement on perhaps their most famous song Stairway to Heaven.

The case centered on claims that Led Zeppelin copied key note patterns in the first two minutes of their hit from a song by the 1960s psychedelic band, Spirit. That song, "Taurus," is an instrumental ballad released four years prior to "Stairway to Heaven."

Old 06-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
Led Zeppelin did not copy 'Stairway to Heaven' intro, jury finds

Music history will not be rewritten...A Los Angeles jury deliberated for about five hours before deciding the band did not steal its most famous licks from another band.

A jury found Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page not guilty of copyright infringement on perhaps their most famous song Stairway to Heaven.

The case centered on claims that Led Zeppelin copied key note patterns in the first two minutes of their hit from a song by the 1960s psychedelic band, Spirit. That song, "Taurus," is an instrumental ballad released four years prior to "Stairway to Heaven."
I am quite pleased about this - these guys have been my #1 most loved band since I was 20 - that's a long damn time.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Something for the Posts

But just when they thought it was finally over...

Last edited by rocknation; 07-15-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Old 06-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
But just when they thought it was finally over...

That's a big..........groan........

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:15 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

That's a big..........groan........
2019 UPDATE: But the joke might end up being on us:
A U.S. appeals court decided on Monday to review its recent decision regarding whether Led Zeppelin stole the opening guitar riff for its 1971 anthem Stairway to Heaven...The rock band...had been accused of copyright infringement for stealing the riff from Taurus, a song written in 1967 by the guitarist Randy Wolfe of the lesser-known band Spirit...Wolfe drowned in 1997...

A jury in Los Angeles ruled in favor of Led Zeppelin in June 2016, but the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 3-0 last September that errors by the trial judge required a new trial.

He said the three-judge panel erred in deciding that a sheet music “deposit copy” of Taurus, rather than sound recordings by Spirit, defined the scope of what could be copyrighted under the federal 1909 Copyright Act...

Fortunately, this post won't be ending on a downbeat:
Quote:
CNN: Facebook has reversed a ban it placed on a classic 1793 Led Zeppelin album...cover...Houses of the Holy...because...it violated its policies...(T)he social media giant('s)...guidelines state that they "do not allow content that sexually exploits or endangers children..."

The Grammy-nominated album's artwork shows stylized images of nude children climbing the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland...

...(Facebook said) (i)n a statement to Ultimate Classic Rock, a...site with more than a million followers on Facebook..."As our community standards explain, we don't allow nude images of children on Facebook...But we know this a culturally significant image. Therefore, we're restoring the posts we removed."

Last edited by rocknation; 10-02-2023 at 07:24 PM..
Old 06-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Livin' on a Post

I suppose that you people have noticed also that "River Runs Dry" intro resembles Stairway To Heaven in a similar fashion??

For me that's a bummer as I like the actual song and I would really prefer to just edit out the intro and the outro. They "ruin" the good feeling of the rest of the song by reminding me of STH. Not cause I don't like STH, but cause it seems like an out of place reference.