Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Tico Torres: "We're sounding amazing"

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Tico Torres: "We're sounding amazing"

(Translated from Spanish)

Tico Torres, Bon Jovi drummer: "We're sounding amazing"

PubliMetro.cl: There are several changes that Bon Jovi has experienced in recent years. The most significant was the departure of his historic guitarist Richie Sambora in November 2014. His place was taken by an old acquaintance, Phil X, who had already replaced the musician on previous occasions. Alongside him (is) John Shanks, who was the producer of his latest album "This house is not for sale" as a rhythm guitarist on their live shows.

Therefore, Tico Torres is enthusiastic about the tour that has the same name as his last album, which will bring him back to Chile this September 14 with a concert at the Monumental stadium after having to cancel his participation in the band's last visit to this side of the world, after being operated on twice for a problem in its appendix. "It broke my heart that I could not have gone the last time," says the drummer in conversation with Publimetro. It is a sort of revenge for Héctor Juan Samuel Torres, who says he is "very excited to go".

On this visit, you'll be without Richie Sambora. How has it been to go on tour without him and how have they settled?
Phil X has been with us several times before. In 2014, we did a world tour with him. He's an incredible guitarist. It's all a new type of sound for us and that makes it very exciting to work with. The band is sounding amazing and we are happy to be able to do these shows.

Bon Jovi are a band that has remained together since its inception. How do you take care to make music the most important thing?
Whatever you do because you love her, it's not really a job. It is a lifestyle. We stay cool between us. We love to keep going into the studio, composing together. We have the possibility to continue making concerts for large audiences and that is a great satisfaction. It gratifies you.

...Jon Bon Jovi said he sometimes gets bored playing the band's greatest hits. How does a band with a long career reconcile with their old material while still looking to the future?
I think the key is to stay honest with yourself. Every time we do the old songs, they are already part of the audience. They sing with us and it is as if we played them together. It does not matter how many times we play them, it gives the sensation that they sound different in Chile, Argentina, Spain or England.

Through the years we have tried to write music that generates that effect. It's what we feel about working with John Shanks as a producer. We try to keep our current sound and I think that's what makes us have different generations of audience. It keeps us cool and does not remake things from the 80's or 90's. The great thing about doing live shows every year is that people can listen to old songs and new ones.

What will the fans see in this show?
They have to go because I will be me (laughs). They have to go! As I mentioned before, the band is sounding amazing. We have prepared a lot and we have worked hard so that all the songs sound as faithful as they sound on the record. We are in very good shape. They are going to be great shows and we are very anxious to be able to play for the fans of South America. They are the best audience of all because they sing like no one else in the world.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 08-02-2017 at 04:49 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 01:00 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Glad he's positive!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:25 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Glad he's positive!
Well, remember this from the last BJ Rock in Rio show?

For Tico, the 2017 South American shows and Rio in particular won't be just another string of gigs, it will be the completion of unfinished business, LOL! And remember that he offered to be operated on AFTER playing that Mexico City gig: I attributed that to being under the influence of drugs, but now I'm not so sure...

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 12-18-2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 08-02-2017, 06:17 AM
The Distance

The band does sound great! It's their lead singer who needs work!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM
These Days

Like a fine wine they're getting better with age!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
The band does sound great! It's their lead singer who needs work!
Spot on. I think they sound good as a band but his vocals are so hard to listen too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljovi93 View Post
Spot on. I think they sound good as a band but his vocals are so hard to listen too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
The band sounded great on the past American leg of the tour but Jon did not.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
(Translated from Spanish)

Tico Torres, Bon Jovi drummer: "We're sounding amazing"

PubliMetro.cl: There are several changes that Bon Jovi has experienced in recent years. The most significant was the departure of his historic guitarist Richie Sambora in November 2014. His place was taken by an old acquaintance, Phil X, who had already replaced the musician on previous occasions. Alongside him (is) John Shanks, who was the producer of his latest album "This house is not for sale" as a rhythm guitarist on their live shows.

Therefore, Tico Torres is enthusiastic about the tour that has the same name as his last album, which will bring him back to Chile this September 14 with a concert at the Monumental stadium after having to cancel his participation in the band's last visit to this side of the world, after being operated on twice for a problem in its appendix. "It broke my heart that I could not have gone the last time," says the drummer in conversation with Publimetro. It is a sort of revenge for Héctor Juan Samuel Torres, who says he is "very excited to go".

On this visit, you'll be without Richie Sambora. How has it been to go on tour without him and how have they settled?
Phil X has been with us several times before. In 2014, we did a world tour with him. He's an incredible guitarist. It's all a new type of sound for us and that makes it very exciting to work with. The band is sounding amazing and we are happy to be able to do these shows.

Bon Jovi are a band that has remained together since its inception. How do you take care to make music the most important thing?
Whatever you do because you love her, it's not really a job. It is a lifestyle. We stay cool between us. We love to keep going into the studio, composing together. We have the possibility to continue making concerts for large audiences and that is a great satisfaction. It gratifies you.

...Jon Bon Jovi said he sometimes gets bored playing the band's greatest hits. How does a band with a long career reconcile with their old material while still looking to the future?
I think the key is to stay honest with yourself. Every time we do the old songs, they are already part of the audience. They sing with us and it is as if we played them together. It does not matter how many times we play them, it gives the sensation that they sound different in Chile, Argentina, Spain or England.

Through the years we have tried to write music that generates that effect. It's what we feel about working with John Shanks as a producer. We try to keep our current sound and I think that's what makes us have different generations of audience. It keeps us cool and does not remake things from the 80's or 90's. The great thing about doing live shows every year is that people can listen to old songs and new ones.

What will the fans see in this show?
They have to go because I will be me (laughs). They have to go! As I mentioned before, the band is sounding amazing. We have prepared a lot and we have worked hard so that all the songs sound as faithful as they sound on the record. We are in very good shape. They are going to be great shows and we are very anxious to be able to play for the fans of South America. They are the best audience of all because they sing like no one else in the world.

Thank you for posting this - love seeing the things from Tico. I think the dates may have been lost in translation or the "official" RS leaving date was 2014 but Phil was there in 2013 too for 80 shows. The band does sound good - Jon is Jon 2017 and I'm dealing with his older self - maybe he could improve the range but maybe not. I'm still going to follow them all the way to the end - whenever that may be.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
The band sounded great on the past American leg of the tour but Jon did not.

Such a shame they only now are making concert recordings available. I still enjoy the live shows, but I would kill for soundboards of the 2011 European tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Like a fine wine they're getting better with age!!!!!!
More like a fine WHINE...