Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Darkness - One Way Ticket To Hell.... And Back!

Other Bands

Old 11-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default The Darkness - One Way Ticket To Hell.... And Back! (REVIEW)

So let me just say that I just listened to the new Darkness album and I won't lie.... I'm surprised because they just proved that they aren't going to be a one hit wonder...... I have a feeling about this one. It's going to be huge. To the hard rocking songs, to the songs that sound dedicated to the one and only Queens, and to the couple ballads that sound just great. I'm loving this album twice as much as Permission To Land... Be very optimistic while listening to it, you'll realize that it's simply.... Awesome. Mark my words... It's going to be huge.

Ok so I said I was going to write a review... Hear is what I've heard and have officially taken in...

The Darkness - One Way Ticket To Hell.... And Back

1. One Way Ticket - So just about everyone has heard this one. A pretty simple rocker with a good radio sound. Great song with an interesting guitar solo. It's one of those songs that could take awhile to get into, but once you do, it just sticks to your brain for hours at a time! LOL... 8/10

2. Knockers - Great song! Probably one my favorites off the record. It's chorus is very catchy with Justin singing the high notes with ease. There is a small guitar solo, but the feel of the song is rock with a little country twang involved. Great song! 9/10

3. Is It Just Me? - Another great song.... Great rocking beginning but it wears off towards the chorus. Not a bad feel to it. The guitar solo is my favorite part of this song. It's great, one of the better ones on the album. Enjoy it and soak it in! 7/10

4. Dinner Lady Arms - If you want to call it ballad then fine. It's a softer song, but it certainly keeps up with pace. The chorus is another catchy one with a solid melody that'll have you singing for a long time! Another great guitar solo here with the beginning sounding like something Eddie Van Halen might rip. I like this song a lot and probably could be a single. 9/10

5. Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time - Another softer song with really really catchy guitar parts and added strings and piano. Like, I see the Queen in this song... I remember them mentioning that they've had a lot of Queen influence on this album because of the producer and the studio they were recording in. (Queen's old Studio) It's a cool song with a light guitar solo that really doesn't dissapoint. 8/10

6. Hazel Eyes - A rather cool intro, also sounding like Styxx wrote this one. LOL... It has a Styxx feel to it. Also could sound a little japanese. Before it kicks into the acoustic intro. Then it just jumps into Justin's high pitched singing with bagpipes and all that. I think this is the song that has the most potential to be one of their best songs to date. Couple of guitar solo's in it to add the kick. It's an interesting sounding song! 10/10

7. Bald - Very dark guitar intro with the chant of bells every couple seconds, before kicking into the heavy riff with wailing guitar. First thought to me was... Hells Bells!!!!!! It certainly has an AC/DC feel to it. The chorus is rather catchy. Has a really loud guitar solo before going into the mellow sound of Justin singing and the dark guitar intro. Add another guitar solo in there too. Another song that's just really really awesome. My favorite! 10/10

8. Girlfriend - Got a quick beat at the beginning with decent guitar. Justin has it going at all octaves on this song. The chorus is again very catchy with strings added... Not before adding some brass intrumentation to it also though! Some might consider this to be a filler but even so, the song is not too bad. It has a guitar solo that sounds very different!!!!!! It has a glimpse of the brass and strings involved. Rather cool I'd say though. Again, pretty good song! 7/10

9. English Country Garden - This is the song that I think sounds quite like Queen. Piano intro with a glimpse of guitar. The chorus chants the title of the song with back up vocals that highlight many of Queen's best songs! It has a very fast guitar solo that might just give you shivers. Cool song nonetheless! 8/10

10. Blind Man - Want to put a Queen song on the Darkness album??? Here ya go. Again, added brass with piano and just Justin singing. Later in the song the chants with back up vocals sound JUST LIKE Queen. It's a pretty song. You won't hear any guitar in this song till he end where the outro is rather soft and very beautiful. 8/10

This is the real deal guys... I'm very impressed. I liked Permission To Land to a point but I didn't think a lot of those songs were written with thought and creativity. This album is full of songs that could be huge hits and fans of this band will not be dissapointed. They aren't going anywhere... They are the real deal and I can't wait for this album to get into stores. I have a good feeling about this one! 8.5/10 is what I'd give this album. It could be close to a 9. Please, soak this album in... It's great!

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????

Last edited by RyanBounce04; 11-21-2005 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Added Review, new title...

Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Next 100 Posts

The Darkness...finally!!!After all these"Good Charlotte,Simple Plan" treatments every day on MTV,something really pleasant for my ears
Old 11-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I've seen the video for the new single recently and I heard Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time on BBC Radio 2 today and though it was great. I've been waiting for this album for what seems like an age. To me this album seems much more polished up and produced than the last album.

Ah well I preordered it from Play.com a while back so this time next week I'll be listening to it!

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman

Took a while for me to get into the latest single, but now I'm a big fan. The video is quality, too. I booked a couple of tickets to see them on their new tour. If it's anything like the winter tour last year, it'll be awesome. Looking forward to getting the new album.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Posting Dead Or Alive

Ryan. Where id you find this? Help me. Pm me!
2010: NJ x3, London x4. 2011: Munich, Manchester, London, Dublin x2, Lisbon. 2012: RS London.
2013: Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, London. 2014: RS Belfast. 2016: London. 2019: Dublin x2, Liverpool, London

Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Undiscovered Posts

u damn right ryan..Heard the album..it's way too damn good...Hazel eyes and one way ticket are hits..But Bald is a stunning song..huh!! can't get enough of it..Rock'n'roll rules..darkness rulez....
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

Just listened to it twice through and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I know lets see how high Justin Hawkins can get on the next song, and the next after that, wait he may even break his record again. It's just an album full of high pitched screaming. Permission to Land had one or two decent songs on it to be fair, but so far I'm not impressed by this follow up.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:55 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
It's just an album full of high pitched screaming.
He's not even screaming, it's just wussy falsetto singing.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:59 AM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
He's not even screaming, it's just wussy falsetto singing.

Ice
Yeah it sounds like someone has whacked him in the balls or somethin'!

Old 11-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Yeah it sounds like someone has whacked him in the balls or somethin'!

LOL!!!!

Tags
the darkness