Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon Jovi Talk Podcasts

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 08:56 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

https://youtu.be/_FHyRvZYhbg

Snippet game with a twist. Live performances.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...

Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Price of posting

EDDIE TRUNK interviews JON BON JOVI on Ritchie Sambora and evolving style
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Price of posting

EDDIE TRUNK interviews JON BON JOVI on Richie Sambora and evolving style
Old 11-07-2019, 11:11 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

A very interesting listen! I didn't appreciate Jon insinuating Bobby was there in case didn't Richie show up, the time lines don't really line up.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:58 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
A very interesting listen! I didn't appreciate Jon insinuating Bobby was there in case didn't Richie show up, the time lines don't really line up.
Well, for me they pretty much do. Sure, Bobby and Jeff came on board for the TLFR project and stayed for the HAND cycle, because
a. Shanks had introduced the new sound with an insane amount of guitar and piano layers
b. Jon seemed to want to make his kind of E-Street band at the time

But he stayed after that cycle because Richie's health had become a big liability in 2006.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 01:07 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
That's an old interview... But Bobby was added in 2005 because Jon thought he was needed to evolve their sound... I personally think he was there to fill in vocally. Kinda like the ghost of Alec.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 01:18 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
That's an old interview... But Bobby was added in 2005 because Jon thought he was needed to evolve their sound... I personally think he was there to fill in vocally. Kinda like the ghost of Alec.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Yep, Jon's voice had a rapid decline during the Bounce tour and Bobby was very much needed to save him vocally. As much as he gets slacked for his guitar playing, his singing was extraordinary.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 AM
These Days

I agree that the most probable explanation for keeping Bobby was to cover Jon's vocals and fill in the harmonies that were missing after Alec left. Keeping him around in case Richie was unreliable doesn't make sense for several reasons:
  • It would had to have happened a lot; often enough to justify the expense of adding (or keeping) another full-time touring member of the band on the payroll. That's gotta be a chunk of change "just in case".
  • If the reason truly was to have somebody waiting in the wings "in case" Richie didn't show up, you'd think Jon would have hired someone he was confident could actually fill in for Richie; well enough that he wouldn't have to worry about making an emergency call to a Phil-X.
  • Most confusing to me, why would Jon say there was no need for a contract? If Richie had been such a problem child, why wasn't there a contract in place that held him legally accountable for not showing up for rehearsals, soundcheck, performances, interviews, etc, or was otherwise unfit to perform the duties his job required?
I believe Jon's a better businessman than that; and he's just rewriting history.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:16 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I agree that the most probable explanation for keeping Bobby was to cover Jon's vocals and fill in the harmonies that were missing after Alec left. Keeping him around in case Richie was unreliable doesn't make sense for several reasons:
  • It would had to have happened a lot; often enough to justify the expense of adding (or keeping) another full-time touring member of the band on the payroll. That's gotta be a chunk of change "just in case".
  • If the reason truly was to have somebody waiting in the wings "in case" Richie didn't show up, you'd think Jon would have hired someone he was confident could actually fill in for Richie; well enough that he wouldn't have to worry about making an emergency call to a Phil-X.
  • Most confusing to me, why would Jon say there was no need for a contract? If Richie had been such a problem child, why wasn't there a contract in place that held him legally accountable for not showing up for rehearsals, soundcheck, performances, interviews, etc, or was otherwise unfit to perform the duties his job required?
I believe Jon's a better businessman than that; and he's just rewriting history.
Yeah, this. The first "band" thing Bobby was involved in was 2003, then again 2004 and then all tours 2006 forward. Richie only starting missing live shows 2008 onwards. I don't buy that Jon kept him around for that reason. Richie's health being a liability....I don't think Bobby was kept on the payroll in case Richie one day didn't show. Thats a pretty expensive way to cover your ass.

Bobby would have taken the place of Richie, not someone else coming in and replacing him entirely. If Bobby was there as a fail safe in case Richie bailed, would't Bobby be lead guitarist?

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 11-08-2019 at 07:18 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Posting everyday

I think Bobby was primarily kept around because he and Jon used to be really good friends (and Phil had confirmed that Bobby was essential in terms of keeping the humour up in the band and his vocal contributions). He also used to introduce him onstage as "my good friend Bobby Bandiera..." in later years.
But I'm also quite certain he kept him after the HAND tour in order to have some sort of safety net in case they had to make it through one night when Richie couldn't play. Maybe he had at first even thought that Bobby could handle lead guitar for a couple of shows if needed, we don't know that. After Puerto Rico he certainly knew better. And anyone who had seen Richie deteriorating from early 2006 up to the unplugged show in 2007 can understand that it would've been quite naive to go on like "yeah this will work".