Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

2020: The New Album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

This sounds like it's written by someone who knows nothing about music and does nothing about assumptions as to how things work both in the business and when writing music. Going from stealing melody lines to saying "others do it too" and consequently bringing up 4 chord songs as an example of that shows quite well how the basic understanding of how (and why?) music is composed is completely lost on you.

To assume Jon's nicked the melody of Beethoven's symphony because it directly relates to the subject of the song is ridiculous considering Jon's done nothing but stealing from others in the past 20 years of his career. I thought the Top Gun reference was more on target, clearly showing the amount of cheese and predictability in his music nowadays. Jon's music hasn't been personal in a long, long time, no matter what bullshit he spouts off in interviews.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Isn’t 90% of what is on this board written by people who have no idea about music?

Just shows how silly things are when the last 6 or 7 pages are on about Jon stealing Unbroken from a classical composer...lord.

Music is repetition, millions of songs have the same structure and there hasn’t been anything ‘original’ for decades or centuries depending on how far into things you want to go.

You think Jon has been stealing from other songs...just like every other pop artist does. Nothing new there either.

I do know there’s nothing much to talk about Jovi wise, but come on guys; go outside into the open air and live a little.

New album won’t be long, so we’ll be able to say ‘best album since These Days’ once again, whilst others will just keep saying it’s shit.

History repeats itself again and again.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Aloha !

To a Trump supporter everything else other than Trump means you're far left.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Very true, thing is in most western countries I feel Jon would be very close to the centre if not slightly to the right. It's just American politics is nuts.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_d View Post
Very true, thing is in most western countries I feel Jon would be very close to the centre if not slightly to the right. It's just American politics is nuts.
All politics is nuts, worldwide. All politicians are manipulative bastards just in it for personal interests.

America-wise, I look at how many wars are created under each president, how many people are slaughtered due to first world politics, how many of their own troops are murdered fighting for ‘their’ country...

These figures may be impossible to find, but it does seem that Trump has killed less than Obama, for example. Totally crazy and unbelievable really...

Left? Right? I love what Bernie Sanders has to say, Jeremy Corbyn in UK and Errejón in Spain. But look at their CVs, they haven’t worked in the real world or suffered the real world.

Jon Bon Jovi? He’s just in it for the ride.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesedays2014 View Post
... they haven’t worked in the real world or suffered the real world.

Jon Bon Jovi? He’s just in it for the ride.
I know you related this to politics, but that's what strikes me with him constantly addressing socially relevant issues in his lyrics in the last decade. He's not writing about something he's really experienced or can relate to, thus the lyrics being a bubble of easily strung together clichés.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I know you related this to politics, but that's what strikes me with him constantly addressing socially relevant issues in his lyrics in the last decade. He's not writing about something he's really experienced or can relate to, thus the lyrics being a bubble of easily strung together clichés.
A really good post. Valid points. Jon really should write about things he know...
Old 10-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Old_Just Older View Post
A really good post. Valid points. Jon really should write about things he know...
The dude hangs out with the Clintons. What could he actually know about real people, or working class ??
Old 10-19-2019, 10:04 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Would anyone be opposed to a second thread about the album for news and updates and one for how bad the band is? Don't want to sound passive aggressive or sarcastic, just want to be excited about this.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsta View Post
The dude hangs out with the Clintons. What could he actually know about real people, or working class ??
Yeah, this. I don't think you need to "hang" with poor people to understand their problems but Jon does everything to avoid the group of people he writes about. If anything he's using them as a selling point, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Would anyone be opposed to a second thread about the album for news and updates and one for how bad the band is? Don't want to sound passive aggressive or sarcastic, just want to be excited about this.
This sounds like a pointless exercise. You'll subsequently have to moderate the thread to death by telling most regular posters on this board not to post there or it'd ruin your excitement which will then be ruined anyway once the band releases new music.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 10-19-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 11:21 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Yup.

For me, recent Bon Jovi music was at its best when Jon was writing about things that we know were affecting him - difficult split from Richie (Living With The Ghost), disputes with the record label (The Devil's In The Temple), being burnt out from making music and then rediscovering the connection with it (Scars on this Guitar), failure to realize his dream of being an NFL owner (A Teardrop To The Sea) and acknowledging he is old and not as good as he used to be, but accepting himself in this current state and still trying to do his best (God Bless This Mess). It's at its worst when we have those about "what's happening in the world right now" snoozefests - Walls, Knockout, Born Again Tomorrow, most of WAN album, etc.

This is especially important now when Jon is such a poor singer and can no longer compensate for bland lyrics with vocal delivery. I'd only note We Don't Run as the exception to this as the melody is so catchy (and Shanks did a hell of the job with Jon's voice in the chorus) so that it overcomes the lyrics being essentially about nothing.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Yeah, this. I don't think you need to "hang" with poor people to understand their problems but Jon does everything to avoid the group of people he writes about. If anything he's using them as a selling point, really.
I think this is more spot on than you're post, Dominik.
At the end of the day it's about credibility. Bruce doesn't live the poor-man's life either. But he succeeds to connect with those people through his lyrics because people believe him when he tells he cares about them.
When Jon tries to write "social conscious" lyrics its awkward because no-one believes him. Despite all his social commitment he doesn't represent those people.

Tags
2020 (album)