Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Cheap Trick

Other Bands

Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny
Default Cheap Trick

Since Bon Jovi pretty much suck lately I listen to other bands. One of them is Cheap Trick. It never stops to amaze me how many great bands are around and I don't know them

This band is a strange collection of people. The guitarist Rick Nielsen, even in the heyday of rock music he wore a baseball cap and short hair, he still plays crazy guitars (eg a five neck guitar or Uncle Dick). I adore the singer, Robin Zander, for his ability to play with his voice. He can sing punk or metal with an interesting rasp in his voice, then he sings a ballad the way that girls want to throw their bras onstage The bass guitarist is the first one to play a 12 string bass. And finally the drummer is again someone who you wouldn't guess to be a musician in the 1970 and 80s. He is now replaced with Nielsen's son.

It's time to stop talking and listen to some music.

I Want You To Want Me
The song that made them famous. Actually its live version from Budokan 1978. Given the beat you wouldn't expect a slow song.

If You Want My Love
This is a less known version, released ten years ago. I've known this version for ages but I didn't dig further to discover the band. This is my fav song. It's a Beatles ripoff but still, I just love it. I admire Robin for carrying the vocals alone during live shows.

The Flame
Typical 1980s ballad, It's written by an outside writer to revive their career. They hated the song simple for not being theirs. However it became a huge hit. Here you can hear the brilliance of Robin, the way he plays with his voice, changes to falsetto etc.

Tonight It's You
I love the chorus, it has energy.

She's Tight
Example of their almost punk music and whole new layer of Robin's voice.

Can't Stop Falling In Love
This reminds me of The Boss.

Surrender

I can add some more videos later, for example live shows etc. Is there anyone elso who loves this band?
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights

Last edited by Johny; 05-31-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM
These Days

The Flame is one of my favourite ballads ever. A classic.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Cheap Trick are a very talented band. I've always wanted to see them live, but never got the chance.

The Flame is my favorite song from an artist other than Bon Jovi or Keith Urban. Every time I hear it, my heart melts just a little bit.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Cheap Trick are a very talented band. I've always wanted to see them live, but never got the chance.

The Flame is my favorite song from an artist other than Bon Jovi or Keith Urban. Every time I hear it, my heart melts just a little bit.
Showing my age now but I saw CT support Motley Crue in 1985. Sure there's a story in The Dirt about Nikki Sixx pissing on Rick Nielsen in a restaurant on that tour.
87 Donington
88 Birminham Nec x 3
89 MK Bowl
89 Birmingham Nec x 3
93 Birmingham Nec x 2
93 MK Bowl
95 Sheffield Don Valley
96 Manchester Maine Rd.
2000 Stoke Brittania
2001 MK Bowl
2006 Manchester/MK Bowl x 2
2008 Manchester/Twickenham x 2
2011 Manchester Old Trafford
2013 Villa Park
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

I'm so glad there are people loving them!

I'm now trying to find a video release called Silver. I have the audio but I'd love to have the dvd. Unfortunately it is very expensive on ebay and nowhere to find online. It was their anniversary concert.

I'd love to see them live.

Keep on bringing your stories! I so regret not being alive when such amazing bands were in their heyday.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post

The Flame is an awesome song. Cheap Trick is a completely underrated band imo.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Born to be my Baby

Probably one of my top 10 favourite bands of all time, or very close to.
Amazing pop/rock band, no-one really does it better. They have continued to put out quality records as well, their last couple "Rockford" and "The Latest" were amazing records. Love 'em.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj28 View Post
Showing my age now but I saw CT support Motley Crue in 1985. Sure there's a story in The Dirt about Nikki Sixx pissing on Rick Nielsen in a restaurant on that tour.
I saw that tour in Manchester,Rick Neilsen was/is still very entertaining.

Cheap Trick have just signed up to play the Pre Party on the KISS Kruise,im looking forward to seeing them again,its been to long.