Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

March 18th 2017 - Nationwide Arena, Columbus Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvi View Post
2) Are we just spoilt brats who have had it too good for too long? Believe it or not, Bruce is not the norm. Artists rarely change up the setlist from night to night. Guns N Roses played 37 different songs on their current tour (63 shows to date). ACDC played 28 different songs in 86 shows. Heck, even the untouchable Adele doesn't change her setlist. She just finished an 8-show stadium tour of Australia without changing one single song, even when 3 of the 5 cities had back-to-back shows. Jovi isn't even 20 shows into the tour and we already have 35 different songs played. Plus, you also have to remember that 99% of the crowd don't know that it's the same setlist as the previous show, and 90% of them wouldn't even care.

As a diehard, I am so disappointed in the setlists, but as a realist, I don't think it matters.
I have no problem with artists that keep the same set for a whole tour. I think the difference is that GNR, AC/DC and Adele (as far as I'm aware) never come out before a tour and say they've rehearsed X number of songs and will change the set list every night.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...

Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer View Post
I have no problem with artists that keep the same set for a whole tour. I think the difference is that GNR, AC/DC and Adele (as far as I'm aware) never come out before a tour and say they've rehearsed X number of songs and will change the set list every night.
That and a lot of the "fillers" have been played constantly on the last 4 or 5 tours. In isolation, the setlists are ok. Although if you asked a casual or die hard to list the best/most popular 15 BJ songs and added 6 new ones on top, neither would list a good 4 or 5 of the songs that are played.

It would be better to take songs like Lost Highway, Whole Lot Of Leavin & We Got It Going On every night for example, if they had been played on the LH tour then not again since. But they've never left the set - whereas better songs like These Days, Dry County, Blaze, Runaway have.

Plus the expectation always has been that Bon Jovi change things up - it's been a calling card of their live shows. It's only a few changes that are needed though - and I'm glad the THINFS songs are staying at least. I don't even think Jon not being able to sing certain songs is that good of an excuse given that he can't sing Prayer, Always or Bad Medicine but still sings them.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Posting everyday

Johnny B. Goode filmed from the nosebleeds behind the stage. I'm actually suprised at how unbelievably good and clear the sound on this video is!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Johnny B. Goode filmed from the nosebleeds behind the stage. I'm actually suprised at how unbelievably good and clear the sound on this video is!

Bon Jovi | Johnnie B. Goode (Chuck Berry Cover) 3.18.17 - Columbus, OH - YouTube
Indeed. Here's one with similar sound but from the front right:

Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Breakout

I thought he sounded really good in that cover... i wonder if its due to the freedom of singing a cover... when he sings his songs he seems stressed and trying too hard...
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchb2000 View Post
I thought he sounded really good in that cover... i wonder if its due to the freedom of singing a cover... when he sings his songs he seems stressed and trying too hard...
True......
Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBJ View Post
True......
No it's not. The reason he sounded OK during JBG, it's because he sang in a very low key. He sounds just as "good" when he sings WWBTF, LH, Reunion or a couple of songs like that. If he sang JBG in original key, it would be the usual post-2013 level of butchery.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising Jon for lowering the key; I'm simply saying that it does not make any sense to imply that "Jon sounds better on covers" when it's something that's so easy vocally as that JBG performance.

Last edited by Walleris; 03-21-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
No it's not. The reason he sounded OK during JBG, it's because he sang in a very low key. He sounds just as "good" when he sings WWBTF, LH, Reunion or a couple of songs like that. If he sang JBG in original key, it would be the usual post-2013 level of butchery.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising Jon for lowering the key; I'm simply saying that it does not make any sense to imply that "Jon sounds better on covers" when it's something that's so easy vocally as that JBG performance.
The thing is that Jon DOES sound better when doing covers. He seems to often forget to sing in a nasally way and give the song as much justice as he can. This goes with almost every cover. From bad case of loving you to shout to start me up - he changes the technique in how he sings. I feel like it might be a pride thing - making a cover sound good is important to Jon.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
The thing is that Jon DOES sound better when doing covers. He seems to often forget to sing in a nasally way and give the song as much justice as he can. This goes with almost every cover. From bad case of loving you to shout to start me up - he changes the technique in how he sings. I feel like it might be a pride thing - making a cover sound good is important to Jon.
I absolutely agree. For whatever reason, he seems to always sound much better on covers than on his own songs. I always felt like it's because he wanted to do justice to those songs and honor them. Part of me also thinks it's because he hasn't developed a million bad habits/tricks to get through those songs like he has his own catalogue.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 AM
Jovi FANatic

I agree that he tends to sound better on covers, but I'm not sure the reason. Remember the iHeart radio concert a couple years ago? He didn't sound good, then they played Shout, and it was the highlight of their set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk