Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

John Mayer

Other Bands

Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda
Default John Mayer

I just saw him live on Monday in Edmonton and holy shitballs can this guy play. Like, I knew he could play - I was especially a fan of his work with the trio for quite some time. But man oh man.

Any other fans? I also quite like his new album. The guitar tone on Rosie melts me.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 AM
These Days

Long time fan.

I love the new album. Still Feel Like Your Man and Moving On And Getting Over are instant classics. In The Blood is the track that I mostly listen to these days, so is Rosie.

I had almost given up on him after underwhelming Born And Raised (who had some good moments) and then the complete turd that was Paradise Valley, but this is a return to forum. Saw him live twice (2013 and 2014) and was quite dissapointed in the setlists that were very heavily focused on these two albums and not enough hits, but he corrected that in the 2017 tour - it's a shame I won't be able to see him.

Although, since this is a Bon Jovi forum and we're routinely harsh on Jon's voice, we have to acknowledge the fact that Mayer has completely lost his upper register he used to have back in mid-to-late 2000s and cannot properly sing stuff like Waiting On The World To Change, Bold As Love and a few others. It's obviously not as bad as Jon (since Mayer, unlike Jon, never had much range, so his songs are much easier to sing), but the vocal nerd in me is still disappointed that he never fully recovered from those 2011-2012 vocal issues. If you watch the Where The Light Is DVD that's a confident singer with a distinct youthful tone; nowadays, a lot less so.

Last edited by Walleris; 04-20-2017 at 05:16 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Just posting

Paradise Valley fairly decent! I will be found, Wildfire and Dear Marie are some of his best songs, and it shows that he could pull off the country vibe.

I also really liked Born and Raised. Queen of California, Walt Grace's Submarine Test and Shadow Days are my favorites.

TBH I didn't care for Battle Studies.

I saw Mayer on Monday in Edmonton and he did play bold as love with the trio, and sounded fairly decent on that.

The only real parts I thought were how Free Fallin' definitely took a hit in the vocal department. But also, Mayer had surgery on his vocal chords more than once and there was a chance he would never sing again. The fact that it is where it is now is incredible.

But let's be real here. Where John shines is with the Trio. Where the Light Is and TRY! Are my most listened to live albums, period. To see the Trio perform live felt like I was on another planet.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:15 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Paradise Valley fairly decent! I will be found, Wildfire and Dear Marie are some of his best songs, and it shows that he could pull off the country vibe.

I also really liked Born and Raised. Queen of California, Walt Grace's Submarine Test and Shadow Days are my favorites.

TBH I didn't care for Battle Studies.

I saw Mayer on Monday in Edmonton and he did play bold as love with the trio, and sounded fairly decent on that.

The only real parts I thought were how Free Fallin' definitely took a hit in the vocal department. But also, Mayer had surgery on his vocal chords more than once and there was a chance he would never sing again. The fact that it is where it is now is incredible.

But let's be real here. Where John shines is with the Trio. Where the Light Is and TRY! Are my most listened to live albums, period. To see the Trio perform live felt like I was on another planet.
Hmm, you guys are getting me excited. I'm still debating if I should go to 1 of the Amsterdam shows in 2 weeks. I really like his playing not too fond of the vocals..
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
Hmm, you guys are getting me excited. I'm still debating if I should go to 1 of the Amsterdam shows in 2 weeks. I really like his playing not too fond of the vocals..
I just saw him Monday. The chemistry he has with his band is out of this world. His playing is even better live. It was the first show in years where i had shivers down my spine. And when the trio had their part... damn.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Just posting

I can't stop listening to The Search for Everything.

Helpless might be the best song I've heard in years. That build from the solo into the build at 2:12 and then the breakdown. It's. so. good.

Also, that guitar tone in Rosie. And that envelope filter at the end of the song on the guitar. Frick, the tone in that song sounds like melting butter might sound like.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I heard him on country radio this morning. I honestly didn't pay much attention, but I was surprised to see his name on the monitor. Has he made a country CD, or it it just the one song?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:31 AM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I heard him on country radio this morning. I honestly didn't pay much attention, but I was surprised to see his name on the monitor. Has he made a country CD, or it it just the one song?
His albums paradise valley and born and raised have heavy country/folk influence. I wouldn't say its country per se though.

Also, becky - he did an AMAZING show with Keith Urban
Look up john mayer keith urban crossroads on youtube. Every song they do together was magic, whether it was an Urban original or Mayer original.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
His albums paradise valley and born and raised have heavy country/folk influence. I wouldn't say its country per se though.
I'm so glad he is over that period of his career and went back to bluesy pop for his new album (of course, except for that turd, called Emoji Of A Wave).

But yeah, a country fan will probably find a lot to enjoy on Born And Raised. I do too, it's just was such a disappointment after a great initial run of 4 strong albums.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I have heard of that Crossroads special with KU, but I've never taken time to watch it. I'll see if it's on YouTube this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tags
john mayer