Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Happy Birthday - Crush

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 AM
The Distance

Just to clear up a few points I've read...

1. TYFLM was never written for a movie. It was a line used in the Brad Pitt movie, Meet Joe Black that came out a couple years prior. Jon saw the movie, stole the line, and wrote the song. That's It... After IML became a hit, Jon was back on top and thought TYFLM was going to close it out. I remember him saying sometime later that he bet the house on that song becoming a huge hit and lost.

2. Keep The Faith could have and might even have been a solo album if the guys didn't figure it all out... Jon coming off his solo album wrote half of KTF himself... Crush was going in that similar direction however I think the minor difference between the two is, Jon had a different direction in mind with Sex Sells becoming Crush, whereas Revenge and KTF had the same direction... However, both albums are known to be the most inconsistent when it come to song selections. Bounce is a close 3rd because that was reworked too after the events of 911

Last edited by Rdkopper; 06-15-2017 at 04:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM
These Days

Suprised how many people that dislike Thank You For Loving Me. I think it's a great songs and is probably the last real "power ballad" from Jov. All About Lovin' You, Memory, Amen, Scars hasn't that feel imo. I get that TYFLM isn't up there with Always and Bed of Roses, but without comparing it to this and that it holds up very well.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Jovi Fan

I still remember that time very well. Walking a few miles to the recordstore to buy the IML single & recording everything I was able to find on TV. Jon promoted U-571 and soon after that the promotion for the band started. MTV & other music channels still played loads of BJ so this was a great time for a fan to see a lot of your fave artist.

I remember thinking that there was suddenly a "different" Jon. Maybe he really thought he was about to become a big movie star. It all looked way too polished and stiff to me.

The record itself was a disappointment to me. For starters I thought the booklet was a joke. No lyrics, no nothing. And there were only a handful of songs that I liked right away and I hadn´t experienced that with a Bon Jovi album before.
IML, Say it isn´t so, Two Story town and yes She´s a mystery were the only ones I liked right away. The rest grew on me and I became a big fan of OWN after hearing the 2001 version.

Back than it didn´t (couldn´t ?) live up to my expectations but knowing now everything that came afterwards it stands tall on my list.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:46 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger11 View Post
I still remember that time very well. Walking a few miles to the recordstore to buy the IML single & recording everything I was able to find on TV. Jon promoted U-571 and soon after that the promotion for the band started. MTV & other music channels still played loads of BJ so this was a great time for a fan to see a lot of your fave artist.

I remember thinking that there was suddenly a "different" Jon. Maybe he really thought he was about to become a big movie star. It all looked way too polished and stiff to me.

The record itself was a disappointment to me. For starters I thought the booklet was a joke. No lyrics, no nothing. And there were only a handful of songs that I liked right away and I hadn´t experienced that with a Bon Jovi album before.
IML, Say it isn´t so, Two Story town and yes She´s a mystery were the only ones I liked right away. The rest grew on me and I became a big fan of OWN after hearing the 2001 version.

Back than it didn´t (couldn´t ?) live up to my expectations but knowing now everything that came afterwards it stands tall on my list.
Yep!!! This is a carbon copy of what I would have wrote too... Less your song choices
Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
Suprised how many people that dislike Thank You For Loving Me. I think it's a great songs and is probably the last real "power ballad" from Jov. All About Lovin' You, Memory, Amen, Scars hasn't that feel imo. I get that TYFLM isn't up there with Always and Bed of Roses, but without comparing it to this and that it holds up very well.
It's not a terrible song and the live versions do bring some fire to it... I just think Luke did a horrible job producing it...
Old 06-16-2017, 01:52 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
The reason why I (and many others here) rank TD and NJ so highly is because their lack of misses, but even they have 99 In The Shade and If That's What It Takes.
You can't be serious?!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:29 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 View Post
You can't be serious?!

Do you reply to everyone who doesn't love a song that you do?

I don't hate ITWIT, but on a masterpiece that is These Days, I find it to be a filler. I do admit that it's a much better than your average Jovi filler on an average Jovi album, but it still illustrates that no Jovi record is perfect start-to-finish.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:16 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:

I don't hate ITWIT, but on a masterpiece that is These Days, I find it to be a filler. I do admit that it's a much better than your average Jovi filler on an average Jovi album, but it still illustrates that no Jovi record is perfect start-to-finish.
I don't know. If you see any posts referring to someone disliking any song, please PM me and I will act accordingly? Thanks.

I love the song. I always paired it with 'Hearts Breaking Even' and considered that the weaker song.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Price of posting

Quote:

I find Diamond ring to be the filler on this album. Awful.

Not many albums are perfect from start to finish.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
For me its just a lazy song.
Stolen words from anther song.
Crap solo
Just dirge
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo