Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

September 14th 2017 - Estadio Monumental, Santiago, Chile thread

Tour Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Born to be my Baby

Jon should just sing in Spanish through the entire show.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:12 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwehehehe View Post
Jon should just sing in Spanish through the entire show.
Quick, somebody install Google Translate on the Teleprompter!

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 09-16-2017, 01:22 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez View Post
Are you suggesting he's going senile?
You said it first lol. Not really what I was implying though
I'm reluctant to say "he was depressed so" because the word *depression* gets thrown around too easily, but he'd be a complete jerk if he was just trying to milk some sympathy, so I guess I have to believe him. And it's pretty plausible that his mind doesn't work as well as it should.
Depression and high levels of stress take a huge toll on your body and mind. They tend to shut down after a while to survive, and that means not being able to perform even menial tasks. Body and mind sort of "slow down", and remembering the simplest thing can be taxing, especially in a situation where you *need* to remember them. It's as if you want/need to remember, but your mind is telling you "hold on, I can't do it properly if I'm under stress". Like a trigger of sorts...

Being around the teleprompter could be a mental crutch. Or his eyesight is poor and he needs to read one line at a time in huge bold capital letters, which makes it impossible to stay too far away for too long. It happens to the best of us, you get old, you start feeling like shit, you need a bigger teleprompter...

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know

Last edited by symbeline; 09-16-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
You said it first lol. Not really what I was implying though
I'm reluctant to say "he was depressed so" because the word *depression* gets thrown around too easily, but he'd be a complete jerk if he was just trying to milk some sympathy, so I guess I have to believe him. And it's pretty plausible that his mind doesn't work as well as it should.
Depression and high levels of stress take a huge toll on your body and mind. They tend to shut down after a while to survive, and that means not being able to perform even menial tasks. Body and mind sort of "slow down", and remembering the simplest thing can be taxing, especially in a situation where you *need* to remember them. It's as if you want/need to remember, but your mind is telling you "hold on, I can't do it properly if I'm under stress". Like a trigger of sorts...

Being around the teleprompter could be a mental crutch. Or his eyesight is poor and he needs to read one line at a time in huge bold capital letters, which makes it impossible to stay too far away for too long. It happens to the best of us, you get old, you start feeling like shit, you need a bigger teleprompter...
I don't think I buy it. He doesn't need to tour. He doesn't need the money and there's nothing left to prove - multiple years Jovi have had the biggest tour of anyone, by any measure, they closed the most iconic venue in the UK, they opened the most iconic venue in their turf. It's done. Regardless of the band Jon's now touring because he can, because he thinks he can still do it. And he'll count the green at the end of the day and be satisfied that regardless of our comments he was right... he's still god and we're just the critics who never got it because he is now surrounded by employees who are at his behest, not a one of them with a prospect of such a lucrative career to back out to as the tours offer. Shanks included - hit records get you **** all these days no matter how well connected you may be.

There's another reason I don't buy it too, when you're depressed you experience extremes. I can well see the hotel room being a cave of despair but the shows are the ultimate high, tens of thousands of people who just want to see you and push you along. Depression doesn't come in an all black brand and I can't see anyone touring with it who doesn't get a kick out of the show. The rest may be a cunt but the show... I don't buy it.

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 09-16-2017, 05:36 AM
Blaze of Posting

These Days in full:

Keep the Faith:
Old 09-16-2017, 05:49 AM
These Days

Jon struggles with These Days. I'm usually quite hard on Jon vocally, but I enjoyed that These Days despite some rough edges. He nails some parts in the choruses and I actually finds the verses worse than the choruses.
I love the "Ain't nobody left but us these days" at 5.52. Much passion, he hits the notes with some nice rasp and actually holds the note for quite some time. I definetely take These Days sounding like this any day instead of no These Days.

Last edited by DryCounty; 09-16-2017 at 05:53 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 05:51 AM
These Days

Also, why is there no backing vocals in the verses? "Everybody's got their cross to bare these days", "No one wants to be themselves these days" and the "Don't you know that all my heroes died."
Wouldn't be that mch of a effort to let David or Everett sing it.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 AM
These Days

Wow. His voice is really shot on that These Days, it breaks like and maybe worse than back in 2003. Still, what a song, I'd rather hear it again this way that never hearing it again.

Also, maybe this isn't the place to talk about it. But I don't like the way the percussionist sounds, I think that overlays with Tico and makes the songs sound weird. Why can't he just play on the songs that, according to Jon, need the extra sound? Like Aerosmith or Nickelback do with their guest musicians?

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Last edited by ezearis; 09-16-2017 at 05:59 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Dry County

Holy shit, that These Days was hard to listen to - much worse than Alpine Valley '03... However, this must still be the worst version of TD ever:

https://youtu.be/Om7Vo__oJhE

Also, I couldn't hear any rasp on any part of the Chile version. Honestly, I prefer the way he belted out the last "ain't nobody LEFT but us these days..." in Brisbane '13 - while that version wasn't any better in general, at least he tried to sound like the kick-ass hard rock singer he used to be:

https://youtu.be/FSuITJ9I-AU?t=5m32s
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Keep the Faith

Adele show us that it's probably impossible to fix vocals. She has money, she made surgery for her voice and she ended tour because she couldn't sing. There are rummors athat she didn't go on tour again.
And she hasn't played 3000 shows like (band/solo) Jon and she didn't played tour on steroids (SWW/NJ).
I think that Jon works on his voice but there is nothing which can help him for 100%.
This videos are ok for me. I could go on show like this. He sing at the same level like Bono in Chorzów 2009.