Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Promo Albums vs Standard Albums ... Differences

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 AM
Undiscovered Posts

Default Promo Albums vs Standard Albums ... Differences

Hi folks,

It just happened that I acquired my first promo album ever. It's an advanced promo of crush for promotional use only.

The thing is that track 4 (Two story Town) has 10 seconds more of intro.https://www.discogs.com/Bon-Jovi-Crush/release/4021165
Yes, I know that in discogs appears to have 5.10min but I can prove that this info is wrongly credited on the website and it actually runs to 5.20.

At the intro you can hear the guys talking and (david i guess) hitting the keyboard as though a cat had just walked over the keys.... then, the countdown starts.

I've also read in hoffman forums (for audiophiles) that sometimes promos have a different mastering that standard albums (usually less compressed which equals better sound ) but I don't feel its the case in this promo crush.

However, and hence this post. Does anyone have a promo album of bon jovi with different arrangements etc.?

Since we are talking about this I am going to mention that I am aware of undiscovered soul having a different tracklist order and different takes or arrangements/intros etc. Also just checking discogs I found there is a bonus track song called 'all that remains' in the shm-cd version of this album in japan I was not aware of. Can't find it on youtube... anyone has heard it?

https://www.discogs.com/Richie-Sambo...lease/10242716

Edit: OK, I found a link to two story town... its only 5.15 (in the promo album its 5.20) but the intro is there so you get what i mean https://youtu.be/4tozyi9EBP0

Last edited by on_m3rcur_7; 12-13-2018 at 03:10 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_m3rcur_7 View Post
Since we are talking about this I am going to mention that I am aware of undiscovered soul having a different tracklist order and different takes or arrangements/intros etc. Also just checking discogs I found there is a bonus track song called 'all that remains' in the shm-cd version of this album in japan I was not aware of. Can't find it on youtube... anyone has heard it?

https://www.discogs.com/Richie-Sambo...lease/10242716
That's a typo - it should be All That Really Matters.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Jovi FANatic

Yes, I got the promo cd as well and I posted about 2 story town probably about 6 years ago. Also undiscovered soul , there is an expanded version on apple play, the whole album has a completely different arrangement and mix, vocally and musically, I love it

http://www.facebook.com/eddie.bland
Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Something for the Posts

That version of Undiscovered Soul is the Japanese mix. For some reason it was released in Japan months before the rest of the world and the mix was completely different to the final version that the rest of the world got...
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

There's no promo discs out there with as many differences as the one for Crush. There's even some differences between the advance copies and the promo discs. If you've got one with "There's no Santa Clause" you've got a rare version I think. I can't remember the other differences, it's been awhile since I was into collecting Bon Jovi stuff.

Before Crush was released advance copies were issued on tape, not on CD. None of these have alternate mixes or slightly different lyrics. However;

Destination Anywhere's advanced cassette tape for the U.S. is without Naked meaning the US release was supposed to have 11 tracks, the international release 12 and the Japanese release 14. Later on, Naked was added to all releases. I've no idea why.

After Crush was released advance copies and promo's were released on CD. It's how the internet used to get its hands on mp3 releases of songs several months before an album was released. Some have different songtitles on them as in the advance copy for the One Wild Night lists the final track as a UK Mix instead of just 2001.

The sampler for the box set has a different edit of The Radio Saved My Life on it but this isn't mentioned on the artwork. The song starts without its guitar intro. The song was released as a radio single and Japan and although that single artwork mentions a radio edit some CD's have the original album cut on it if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
That version of Undiscovered Soul is the Japanese mix. For some reason it was released in Japan months before the rest of the world and the mix was completely different to the final version that the rest of the world got...
A version of Undiscovered Soul leaked in Japan and thus the record company decided to prevent everyone from buying the unofficial leak to release what they had at that moment, which is the unfinished mix of Undiscovered Soul. Several overdubs had not yet been done and Steven Tyler wasn't playing on the harmonica either.

Once Undiscovered Soul was released in 1998 Mercury Records Japan added a bonus disc in Japan to try to get people to buy the final mix as well. The final release of Undiscovered Soul has never been released without a bonus disc in Japan. Mind you this is all before the internet so not many people knew about this rare Japanese release back in 1997. All attention was on Jon anyway hence the record being delayed a bit.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 12-13-2018 at 10:44 PM..
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

There's no promo discs out there with as many differences as the one for Crush. There's even some differences between the advance copies and the promo discs. If you've got one with "There's no Santa Clause" you've got a rare version I think. I can't remember the other differences, it's been awhile since I was into collecting Bon Jovi stuff.

Before Crush was released advance copies were issued on tape, not on CD. None of these have alternate mixes or slightly different lyrics. However;

Destination Anywhere's advanced cassette tape for the U.S. is without Naked meaning the US release was supposed to have 11 tracks, the international release 12 and the Japanese release 14. Later on, Naked was added to all releases. I've no idea why.

After Crush was released advance copies and promo's were released on CD. It's how the internet used to get its hands on mp3 releases of songs several months before an album was released. Some have different songtitles on them as in the advance copy for the One Wild Night lists the final track as a UK Mix instead of just 2001.

The sampler for the box set has a different edit of The Radio Saved My Life on it but this isn't mentioned on the artwork. The song starts without its guitar intro. The song was released as a radio single and Japan and although that single artwork mentions a radio edit some CD's have the original album cut on it if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else knows?

A version of Undiscovered Soul leaked in Japan and thus the record company decided to prevent everyone from buying the unofficial leak to release what they had at that moment, which is the unfinished mix of Undiscovered Soul. Several overdubs had not yet been done and Steven Tyler wasn't playing on the harmonica either.

Once Undiscovered Soul was released in 1998 Mercury Records Japan added a bonus disc in Japan to try to get people to buy the final mix as well. The final release of Undiscovered Soul has never been released without a bonus disc in Japan. Mind you this is all before the internet so not many people knew about this rare Japanese release back in 1997. All attention was on Jon anyway hence the record being delayed a bit.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Thanks for this. Very informative!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Strangely my Japanese double disc version has exactly the same mix on it as the original Japanese release, not the later international release...It does have the updated artwork, but that audio is the same...
Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Strangely my Japanese double disc version has exactly the same mix on it as the original Japanese release, not the later international release...It does have the updated artwork, but that audio is the same...
Damn, I forgot about that one. You're right.

Yeah, I've no idea why that is. It makes absolutely no sense!

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 12-15-2018, 01:39 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
Also undiscovered soul , there is an expanded version on apple play, the whole album has a completely different arrangement and mix, vocally and musically, I love it
Quote:
When was that expanded version released? I wasn't aware of it until reading this? It's on iTunes UK so I think I'll grab it. I've heard the 1997 mix of the album but never bothered picking the CD up because I didn't think it was worth it but that and the bonus CD live tracks from Spreckles Theater 1991 makes it more worthwhile. Is this expanded version on CD also?

I've also noticed Stranger in This Town also has an "expanded" edition on iTunes aswell. But by expanded, I mean they've just added "The Wind Cries Mary" at the end, just like the original Japan release.

Just goes to show how my finger is not on the pulse of new Bon Jovi releases anymore.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 12-15-2018 at 01:48 AM..
Old 12-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
When was that expanded version released? I wasn't aware of it until reading this? It's on iTunes UK so I think I'll grab it. I've heard the 1997 mix of the album but never bothered picking the CD up because I didn't think it was worth it but that and the bonus CD live tracks from Spreckles Theater 1991 makes it more worthwhile. Is this expanded version on CD also?
Yes, it was on CD in Japan only, relased in 1998
https://www.discogs.com/Richie-Sambo...elease/9373913