Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Thief Of Hearts

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Born to be my Baby

Default Thief Of Hearts

Anyone else keen on this? I really really like it, more recently than before however.

It is simple, but lyrically very strong. Low points are difficult to spot, in order to see how it ended up being a b-side/outtake, but maybe where Jon goes very low, seen more clearly when he struggles slightly when singing it live in November 2004. There are little moments of weakness admittedly, but overall I think it is a good song. Nice melodies and a little different for Jovi.

Would really like to hear it live, although I am aware that is almost certainly never going to happen

Last edited by jovi 94; 05-04-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovi 94 View Post
Anyone else love this? I really really like it, more recently than before however.

It is simple, but lyrically very strong. Low points are difficult to spot, in order to see how it ended up being a b-side/outtake, but maybe where Jon goes very low, seen more clearly when he struggles slightly when singing it live in November 2004. There are little moments of weakness admittedly, but overall I think it is a good song. Nice melodies and a little different for Jovi.

Would really like to hear it live, although I am aware that is almost certainly never going to happen
This is one I could pass on. Lyrically it's ok but that's about it. It's got no punch to it.

And LMS too. I never got the hype over that one. I think the HAND version is ok. I actually do like the Live version on the Wal-Mart exclusive CD though.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Born to be my Baby

i like the melody, surely a punch is not always necessary?

now talking about punchy. i adore adore adore last man standing, what a smasher!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
The Distance

Quote:
i like the melody, surely a punch is not always necessary?

now talking about punchy. i adore adore adore last man standing, what a smasher!
You're right, punch is the wrong word. But I just don't feel it.

I remember MSG '05 or '06 when Jon came out center stage to LMS. I wasn't expecting it at all. All of a sudden the house lights go out, I hear girls screaming uncontrollably 1 row over, I see some sort of commotion going on, then I see a bunch of bodyguards…….. I was like WTF (I though a fight broke out or something). Then the music started, the spot light hit, and there was Jon practically standing directly in front of me. It all happened 1,2,3…… Then on his way to the stage, I got a high five…. Very cool moment.

The lyrics don't start right away on the live version. The music loops a few times so every time I hear it, I have that image in my head.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

I heard Thief of Hearts once at the Borgata show. I really like it - no it has no punch but it's a very catchy melody that appeals to me.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I heard Thief of Hearts once at the Borgata show. I really like it - no it has no punch but it's a very catchy melody that appeals to me.
cool you were at one of those shows. which night?

i would love to have been there i think the shows were superb.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
cool you were at one of those shows. which night?

i would love to have been there i think the shows were superb.
I was at night 2 of the TLFR shows in 2003 and also at the boxset show in 2004. The Borgata is a small place for this band and a very nice place to watch a show. I was very pleased that there were televised events from both shows so I could have a copy

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I really like it.

I think it has a VERY obvious Tom Petty influence to it.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Anyone else keen on this? I really really like it, more recently than before however.

I like this one. In fact I like it much better than Last Man Standing... at least the This Left version. Had it been on This Left, it would have been one of the highlight.

It is very Tom Petty. In fact, the "hey baby" is very much like I won't back down. Maybe that is why I like it so much. If they had modeled more of Lost Highway or The Circle after old Tom Petty Songs, I'd probably like them a little bit more. Two story Town also reminds me of Tom Petty.... probably the similiar title to his One Story Town.... But anyway, yes, I like Thief of Hearts. It is not their best, but certainly not their worst.

I drove all night down streets that wouldn't bend
But somehow they drove me back here once again...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I really like the song. I was at both Borgata shows and really loved hearing it. Night 1 was better than Night 2 IMO. Of course, I was very, very sick night 2. I was looking at my watch and wondering "how much longer?"

Tags
thief of hearts