Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Glycerin

Other Bands

Old 12-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Default Glycerin

Ok...so does anybody know what this song (by Bush) is about??? Is it just a song he wrote while he was stoned like Zeplin, or does Glycerin seve a prpose here??? This has bother me for many years now... hehehe

thanks!!!

B
In fact I just string words together
But you'll still sing this crap

Old 12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
This Post Feels Right

what does it mean to you? why is it important what the artist says why and about who they've written a song? Personally, I don't care. The lyrics take on a very personal meaning when I read them - with my feelings and my life experience. Many lyrics that speak tremendously to me, I'd have a hard time to actually put in different words what they mean, as I 'feel' them more than 'understand'.

It has always puzzled me when people ask me 'what does xyz mean by their song zyx?'!

must be your skin that i'm sinking in :: must be for real 'cos now i can feel :: and i didn't mind :: it's not my kind :: it's not my time to wonder why :: everything gone white :: and everything's grey :: now you're here now you're away :: i don't want this :: remember that :: i'll never forget where you're at :: don't let the days go by :: glycerine

i'm never alone :: i'm alone all the time :: are you at one :: or do you lie :: we live in a wheel :: where everyone steals :: but when we rise it's like strawberry fields

if i treated you bad :: you bruise my face :: couldn't love you more :: you got a beautiful taste :: don't let the days go by :: could have been easier on you :: i couldn't change though i wanted to :: could have been easier by three :: our old friend fear and you and me :: glycerine :: don't let the days go by :: glycerine

i needed us more :: when we wanted us less :: i could not kiss just regress :: it might just be :: clear simple and plain :: that's just fine :: that's just one of my names :: don't let the days go by :: could've been easier on you :: glycerine

bolded part being my favorite

If the song was written while stoned, would that mean it has no meaning/purpose??? Don't get that part......

To me it is a song about a co-dependent relationship. One that feels so perfectly right and the next minute it is shit only to be just perfect again.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 12-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

If the song was written while stoned, would that mean it has no meaning/purpose??? Don't get that part......

Well, considering 'stairway to heaven' honestly lyrically serves no purpose and yet is considered one of the quintessential rock songs, most people would agree with you on this. I do not. Sorry, but being a good musician also requires song-writing skills and a unique understanding of the human language that must come from somewhere beyond coke, meth, and pot.

The funny thing is, before I thought I had a loose grasp of the song, but seeing the lyric placed before makes me think much less of it. heh heh heh You and me are different like that I suppose.

I guess I am more just wondering why he chose a substance common to petroleum jelly as the centerpiece for his heavy-guitared eligy.

You've never even been curious about an author's original intent? It is the final piece of the puzzle after you have created your own meaning for the song.

B
Old 12-30-2004, 10:31 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavoid
I guess I am more just wondering why he chose a substance common to petroleum jelly as the centerpiece for his heavy-guitared eligy.
You're not really thinking the song is about glycerine? It's a metaphore, a name for someone. I agree with Spunky, it's a song about a co-dependet relationship.

I've never heard the song, nor do I know anything about Bush but if the writer has done his research then I could see where the name "glycerin" comes form: Glycerine:Important properties include: high humectancy (affinity for water), solvency, viscosity, sweet taste and virtual odorless state. Glycerin is one of the most versatile and valuable chemical substances known to man.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:54 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavoid

glycerin is used to preserve perfum and other stuff as well as it is used for explosives. In that sense it would be a good metaphor to use for a relationship as I read it in the lyrics. He says 'don't let the days go by' as he wants time to stand still in the moments of what seems a perfect relationship - glycerin = preserve. Any co-dependent relationship will have violent phases as glycerine as it is used in explosives may be a metaphor for that.

In my opinion, just because a song was written under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, doesn't mean the author doesn't know what he/she is writing about. Tons of songs were conceived under the influence that doesn't necessarily diminish their meaning --- just as much as song that was written stone sober might not offer much either.

You often hear people say 'XYZ didn't write that song - heroin did' --- to me that is extreme hogwash. Maybe the artist hit a creative nerve while on heroin - that doesn't mean the song is meaningless of the artist is not talented. It is easy to say things like that for people in the music industry, but you have to keep in mind that there are many many functional drug addicts going about their business every day. They work in banks, they are attorneys, doctors, you name it --- they still produce and sometimes they produce a lot better on coke than otherwise - it is still them doing their work....

and yes, of course I've wondered about the original intent of a song before, but I gave that up many many years ago, because most artists will never let you in on their original intent and some artists just aren't truthful either....
Old 12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Thank you guys all for helping me clear up the meaning of the song! I've always unerstood the general meaning of the song, but just never the 'glycerin' reference. I've got it now, and it is alright. Not the greatest lyrics (but not bad at all), but the music and atmosphere of the song ups it quite a bit.

And as far as the drug 'debate' goes (which really wasn't what this post was meant to be about at all! ), I like all kinds of art and music, and after looking at several paintings and exhibits and music done by potheads (people who always use the stuff to 'create', it all begins to look the same. It first it seems unique and good, but eventually it blends together and becomes boring. You can't be dependant of the stuff if you want to be the best at anything. And no, I am NOT looking for a big debate here.

I know many of you will disagree, just like half the human population thinks 'Stairway' is a good song. I don't--it's crap.

B