Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon's falsetto?

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-19-2014, 11:54 PM
These Days

Default Jon's falsetto?

Randomly, I was wondering. Does Jon ever sing falsetto? Pretty much any male singer I know at least sometimes does that. I had to think really hard to remember he sang falsetto in the chorus of Say It Isn't So! This song hasn't been played in 13 years, so is that the only time?

http://youtu.be/OeWnHQ_OCLg?t=1m7s

Even when he went falsetto, he didn't see too confident about it!

If that's indeed the only time, why do you think he never sings in falsetto? It's somewhat acceptable for (some) male singers to lose their voice with age, but their falsetto voice usually still remains in tact.

Lastly, I'm no vocal expert. I struggle to understand the difference between falsetto and head voice. A while ago I tried googling and that didn't help. So, in the mean time, if anyone could explain this once and for all (preferably, with video examples), it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Walleris; 11-19-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Lastly, I'm no vocal expert. I struggle to understand the difference between falsetto and head voice. A while ago I tried googling and that didn't help. So, in the mean time, if anyone could explain this once and for all (preferably, with video examples), it would be greatly appreciated!

Falsetto is a voice that is created by just the edges of the vocal chords. It's thin, high voice that has less power than your regular voice. Falsetto voice is very pure, as in there's not really any harmonic overtones in it.

http://youtu.be/HxbY6jigFK8?t=1m45s

Here's KISS's Paul Stanley singing in head voice and falsetto. Most of the chorus is falsetto and it's also used in parts of the verses. ("I'm no hero..." is sung with head voice, falsetto starts at "wish I could be...")

That's basically it. Some singers can produce stronger volume than most with falsetto, but it still sounds like falsetto, not head voice.

My own head voice is pretty loud and I can sing most notes in head voice. I pretty much consider falsetto and head voice the same thing, but with different pressure. Falsetto is much more relaxed, but also weaker. Head voice requires more power (and more air), but it's much louder and "rockier". Falsetto always sounds weaker. Falsetto is easier to cotrol for me and it's also easier to sing softer with it.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.