Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

These Days (Live) you're wrong!!

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Runaway

Send a message via MSN to Pauly Send a message via Yahoo to Pauly
Default These Days (Live) you're wrong!!

Hey,

Ive recently read some threads on how Jon sang These Days at the Alpine Valley gig and the way some of you have said he cant sing it anymore and have to totally desagree!
If you'd of heard the way he sang it at Hyde Park you wouldnt be saying that,it sounded awesome and he hit the high notes at the end of the song also.
I think its down to what mood he's in for the song he sings,as at Hyde Park it was spur of the moment,like he was really in the mood,where at Alpine he had to sing it coz it won the vote and maybe he wasnt in the mood.
But for the people that say his voice isnt as good anymore i find ridiculous, theres no rock stars that can sing as good and as perfect as him! He sounds better now than he ever has.

Old 07-14-2003, 08:58 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default Re: These Days (Live) you're wrong!!

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly
Hey,

I think its down to what mood he's in for the song he sings,as at Hyde Park it was spur of the moment,like he was really in the mood,where at Alpine he had to sing it coz it won the vote and maybe he wasnt in the mood.
Yeah right, like your mood causes a low vocal range. Whahahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly
But for the people that say his voice isnt as good anymore i find ridiculous, theres no rock stars that can sing as good and as perfect as him! He sounds better now than he ever has.
Whahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah right.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 07-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Jovi Geek

Mannheim Version is pretty awesome!!

New Jersey is not just a state
- Its a religion!!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Bicycle Repair Man
Blaze of Posting

in HP Jon struggled really hard with TD - i liked that he tried for the high parts, but he didn't get them successfully or cleanly

and the same is true of Mannheim

I've got the tools, I got the girl
and I certainly got the tools to satisfy
Plus make you beg for more
Old 07-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrock
in HP Jon struggled really hard with TD - i liked that he tried for the high parts, but he didn't get them successfully or cleanly

and the same is true of Mannheim
He did a pretty darn good job in Munich tho!!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

OK here's a question. If someone cannot sing something the way they used to, due to age (or voice changing or whatever) should they stop singing it entirely? Or should they do the best they can.
I'm sure that's why Jon lets the audience sing the highest parts of Prayer anymore - should he drop the song entirely? Should he rearrange These Days to fit his voice now?
Believe me - it happens to everyone. Paul Simon has rearranged many songs to fit his older voice - that way he can still sing them.
I'm not trying to start an argument here but would really like to know opinions on this.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to jedijovi

I read several reviews from Alpine Valley and in the venue his voice sounded apparently better than what we were getting off the soundboard for the webcast for that song. No one in their reviews felt he sounded off- they were surprised to read that we thought he did. I do think that he should sing what he wants- all older singers adjust and do that.
Something from the love they gave
Old 07-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
OK here's a question. If someone cannot sing something the way they used to, due to age (or voice changing or whatever) should they stop singing it entirely? Or should they do the best they can.
I'm sure that's why Jon lets the audience sing the highest parts of Prayer anymore - should he drop the song entirely? Should he rearrange These Days to fit his voice now?
Believe me - it happens to everyone. Paul Simon has rearranged many songs to fit his older voice - that way he can still sing them.
I'm not trying to start an argument here but would really like to know opinions on this.

Kathleen
I agree Kathleen. So he can't sing the high parts anymore in some songs, but at least he tries and tries very hard. bless him!!
Besides, these days he has a vocal coach which he didn't use to have.
So maybe he was straining his voice too much in the early days without realising it? He has also said in recent interviews that he has learnt to use his voice properly now and even writes differently to incorporate that.
I think that speaks for itself really.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via AIM to jenn1189 Send a message via MSN to jenn1189

I definitely think they should rearrage the vocals to fit Jon's voice better now. Like on Prayer, we sing the high notes for him. I don't want songs to be eliminated entirely because as times goes on, Jon's voice is changing and he can't sing them the same way anymore. Richie and Dave can do the high harmony, let Jon do the low harmony...whatever. There are ways to change around the vocals so that the song still sounds great, even if it's a little different from the original.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via ICQ to Captain.Crash Send a message via MSN to Captain.Crash

Jon can hit the high notes sometimes, just like Always sometimes sounds good and sometimes it doesnt. The bottom line here is would you rather hear a strained These Days? or I got the girl? We had the vote, we should have all known that he couldnt hit those notes before we voted. As for the vocals that night? the crowd couldnt hear it because it is loud in the crowd and when you are in the mood you can criticize properly. Feb 2003 i saw them in Toronto and it sounded amazing, when i heard the boot i realized that he does struggle sometimes but thats ok its only one aspect of the show. And as far as being in the mood? wow.