Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Polarisation of Fans

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Livin' on a Post

Default Polarisation of Fans

Just read Mike's 'Wishy Washy' post and it only re-affirmed what I have been thinking about the demographic of BJ fans for a while now.

We seem to fall into 2 clear camps.

1. Those people who have been around since 1986 (or earlier for some lucky people)

2. Those who came onboard with the last two albums.

Because of this the band are sort of in a no win situation, something that has become clear with the release of TLFR. Let me Explain!

Demographic 1 1986 +

A long time fan , possibly an ex rock/metal fan from the 80's. Has seen the band loads of times, in their 30's, maybe even 40's. Main belief - that These Days (and Destination Anywhere) were the last great Bon Jovi albums. Like the odd song on the last two albums but generally not a patch on the pre1996 ones. Didn't buy Crossroads - had songs already.
Somewhat dismayed by recent set lists that don't seem to change and that miss out great old songs and also concerned about the release of TLFR due to the same old songs being (yes, re-worked BUT-) trotted out again.

Demographic 2 2000 +

Newer fans that came onboard with Crush and Bounce. Younger, more excited by current projects, grateful for the chance to go to any live shows, don't care about set lists. Looking forward to TLFR - maybe even not a fan of the bands earlier albums (one poster on Mike's thread did say that). They own Crossroads as a main reference to the past.

The mix of these fans just don't work as evidenced by recent arguments about TLFR. Thats hard for the band to solve I think. I myself are a number 1 and feel completely marginalised by the band in recent years as I have the age and experience to be able to remember what they were like in the late 80's and early 90's, which to me, is not the same band that they are today for many different reasons.
Their outlook is different - A recent quote from Jon went like this - When asked if they are going to support TLFR with a tour he replied

"no, it would take too much rehearsing and that to us in Bon Jovi is a dirty word"

That amazed me - its his job!

But it is also a big change from the New Jersey days of being the hardest working band on the planet. Yes, times change, people get older, families arrive etc BUT you can keep that attitude even if you can't put it into practice.

Fans of post 2000 Bon Jovi just dont get this.

HOWEVER - it doesn't make me any better a fan, doesn't make me right, its just an opinion. What I am trying to do is twofold;

1. Explain from a historical perspective why demographic 1's seem like moaners all the time on here
2. Point out that I think its a no win situation. We all want different things from a band that cannot deliver them.

Hey - we are one big family but all families have issues and niggles, you just try to manage them and get along. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. You just have to get where everyone is coming from, even if you don't agree with it.

I feel like a lie down and a drink now!
Sheffield 18/05/93
Milton Keynes 18/09/93
Wembley 24/06/95
Milton Keynes 06/07/96
Wembley 19/08/00
Milton Keynes 16/06/01
Top of the Pops II Special 00 or 01
Wolverhampton 24/06/03
Milton Keynes 10/06/06
O2 Arena London 24/06/07
Coventry 24/06/08
O2 Arena London 07/06/2010
O2 Arena London 20/06/2010
O2 Arena London. 25/06/2010
Richie @ Sheps Bush London 16/10/2012

Villa Park, Bham 09/06/2013

Old 10-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Dry County

I think you take Jon's quote about rehearsing to serious .
Old 10-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Destination any Forum

Default Re: Polarisation of Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd
Just read Mike's 'Wishy Washy' post and it only re-affirmed what I have been thinking about the demographic of BJ fans for a while now.

We seem to fall into 2 clear camps.

1. Those people who have been around since 1986 (or earlier for some lucky people)

2. Those who came onboard with the last two albums.

Because of this the band are sort of in a no win situation, something that has become clear with the release of TLFR. Let me Explain!

Demographic 1 1986 +

A long time fan , possibly an ex rock/metal fan from the 80's. Has seen the band loads of times, in their 30's, maybe even 40's. Main belief - that These Days (and Destination Anywhere) were the last great Bon Jovi albums. Like the odd song on the last two albums but generally not a patch on the pre1996 ones. Didn't buy Crossroads - had songs already.
Somewhat dismayed by recent set lists that don't seem to change and that miss out great old songs and also concerned about the release of TLFR due to the same old songs being (yes, re-worked BUT-) trotted out again.

Demographic 2 2000 +

Newer fans that came onboard with Crush and Bounce. Younger, more excited by current projects, grateful for the chance to go to any live shows, don't care about set lists. Looking forward to TLFR - maybe even not a fan of the bands earlier albums (one poster on Mike's thread did say that). They own Crossroads as a main reference to the past.

The mix of these fans just don't work as evidenced by recent arguments about TLFR. Thats hard for the band to solve I think. I myself are a number 1 and feel completely marginalised by the band in recent years as I have the age and experience to be able to remember what they were like in the late 80's and early 90's, which to me, is not the same band that they are today for many different reasons.
Their outlook is different - A recent quote from Jon went like this - When asked if they are going to support TLFR with a tour he replied

"no, it would take too much rehearsing and that to us in Bon Jovi is a dirty word"

That amazed me - its his job!

But it is also a big change from the New Jersey days of being the hardest working band on the planet. Yes, times change, people get older, families arrive etc BUT you can keep that attitude even if you can't put it into practice.

Fans of post 2000 Bon Jovi just dont get this.

HOWEVER - it doesn't make me any better a fan, doesn't make me right, its just an opinion. What I am trying to do is twofold;

1. Explain from a historical perspective why demographic 1's seem like moaners all the time on here
2. Point out that I think its a no win situation. We all want different things from a band that cannot deliver them.

Hey - we are one big family but all families have issues and niggles, you just try to manage them and get along. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. You just have to get where everyone is coming from, even if you don't agree with it.

I feel like a lie down and a drink now!
every1 is right to their own opinion, but yr stereotyping 'older' fans and 'newer' fans quite horridly i think. i know 'older' fans who actually love wot is happening with the band in recent times, oh and by the way, destination anywhere isnt a BJ record and not every1 thinks TD was their 'las great album'. i understand yr views but yr really generalising ppl as a faction and i dont think see the point of that, and wot about the ppl who were fans 1986-2000?? or dont they count?

just my humble opinion.

There are people dancing on what
they perceive to be our grave
Old 10-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
wot about the ppl who were fans 1986-2000?? or dont they count?
Yeah, there are a lot of people who discovered BJ with Crossroad (me included) and are in their early-mid 20s (me included ).But anyway, I liked your post, I understand what you mean.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via AIM to jenn1189 Send a message via MSN to jenn1189

I liked your post and agree with some of the things you said. The only thing is that you generalized a little too much. You made it seem like all the people who were fans back in the 80's (that's me!) are unhappy with the things the band are doing today. I just don't think that is true. Yes, in my mind, no album will ever top New Jersey or These Days. But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the music Bon Jovi are making today. And it doesn't mean that I'm not hoping the band will release a new album that is better than those two albums. Yes, Bon Jovi fans seem to be very picky. We want what we want and no exceptions. But I think that die hard fans of any band are going to be like that.

Like I said, I've been around from the start. I've seen them on every tour since New Jersey in 1989. That doesn't mean that I'm not happy to see them again whenever I get the chance. They came to Tampa this year, yet I still drove 500 miles to see them in Atlanta too! And Crossroads is in my CD collection. I still listen to it too.

It's funny though that you see the older fans as the "moaners" around here. I kinda always thought we were more accepting. But, I guess everyone has their own perspective. Yes, I'm disappointed I won't be getting the two new songs when I buy TLFR. But, shit happens and life goes on. Hopefully, that's the worst thing that happens in my life for the rest of this year. I won't be boycotting the album or anything like that. I've been looking forward to it and I'm still going to buy it.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Jovi Obsession

I always thought it was the younger fans that moaned alot more than the older ones.

Not to worry. Oh and i fall into the 1986-2000 catergory, so i have no opinion

Wembley Stadium 2000
Glasgow, Dublin, Huddersfield, Milton Keynes, Cardiff 2001
Glasgow, Dublin, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Hyde Park 2003
Dublin, Munich, Manchester, Southampton, Hull 2006
The o2 London 2007
Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Manchester, London 2008
The o2 London - 8 nights, 2010
Dublin, Hyde Park 2011
Manchester, Hyde Park, IOW 2013
Old 10-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to davefan Send a message via AIM to davefan Send a message via MSN to davefan Send a message via Yahoo to davefan

right you forgot the big group of people who lost their heart to bon jovi in 92 or later. think moaning isn'`t about how long someone has been a fan. An older fan might have more reason to complain about bon jovi becoming pop that a "newer" but every one can have an opinion indipanded from the time one has been a fan
http://www.beepworld.de/members57/moonjunction/
Old 10-18-2003, 05:12 PM
This Post Feels Right

I am a #1 fan, but don't really match your description. Yes, I used to be a metal fan, but my favorite BJ album (today) is TD. Of course it was SWW or NJ at release time.

Also, I don't want BJ to make another SWW or NJ. I'd like them to be a bit more rocking, but no 80s stuff please. I might have grown up in that era, but didn't get stuck I don't listen to metal anymore, at least not with any regularity, but found myself to like Eminem and Kid Rock Not quite the 30something metal fan you described.

Crossroads, hm. Close. I bought Crossroads in 2002 - used. For the longest time I hated the idea of buying a CD with only 2 new tracks - well, I found it really cheap - used. Otherwise, I probably still would not have bought it.

TLFR - I am disappointed that there are no new tracks. Will I buy it? Most likely. On release date? Probably not. Being in my 30s means I have a lot more money to spend on CDs than I had in my teens or 20s. So, I might splurge.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 10-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Jovi Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkywho
TLFR - I am disappointed that there are no new tracks. Will I buy it? Most likely. On release date? Probably not. Being in my 30s means I have a lot more money to spend on CDs than I had in my teens or 20s. So, I might splurge.
I feel you should splurge out on this cd too! I cant wait till im in my 30s with a lot more money

Wembley Stadium 2000
Glasgow, Dublin, Huddersfield, Milton Keynes, Cardiff 2001
Glasgow, Dublin, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Hyde Park 2003
Dublin, Munich, Manchester, Southampton, Hull 2006
The o2 London 2007
Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Manchester, London 2008
The o2 London - 8 nights, 2010
Dublin, Hyde Park 2011
Manchester, Hyde Park, IOW 2013
Old 10-18-2003, 07:33 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkywho
I feel you should splurge out on this cd too! I cant wait till im in my 30s with a lot more money
LOL. Being old DOES have its advantages LOL.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now