Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Eric Clapton

Other Bands

Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Send a message via AIM to eheaps
Default Eric Clapton

Anybody else see him/will be seeing him this year or before. All I can say is wow. I was amazed song after song. He played mostly stuff from his solo career aside from an acoustic version of Running on Faith and a rockin' version of Layla, from what I knew. I didn't know a good number of the songs, but enjoyed every single one of them. Cocaine and Layla were the highlights of course as well as the finale that he brought out Robert Randolph (opener, and Jersey guy, saw the show at PNC in NJ). Either way though every song was better than the one before it and during each song I was like wow this is unbelievable. I didn't mind not knowing the majority of the songs because his show was significantly instrumental. If you didn't know the words...it didn't matter there weren't that many of them haha. Anyways, this was definitely one of those guys who I wanted to go through life claiming that I saw him live and am very very satisfied. CLAPTON IS THE GREATEST GUITARIST EVER!

Check out my new rock music blog -> http://herestorock.blogspot.com/

Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

Yeah I've been getting into him lately, got his new greatest hits and biography, haven't read it yet. I should read that sometime.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:19 PM
These Days

the biography is really interesting , i enjoyed it.

he's a great musician , motherless children is my favourite song by him.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Jovi Freak

Could only name the big hits, but I saw him play for almost 3 hrs a few yrs back here and he just blew me away with his sheer skill, which made up for the lack of talking and stage presence! A sheer joy to watch.

Robert randolp and band supported when i saw them too, awesome! First time a support act actually properly blew me away. They even played Voodoo Child!

andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine
Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

I've seen him 3 times now, the Reptile Tour in 2001 which was great and then twice on the 2004 tour which was pretty rubbish. I've stopped going to his shows because he's more about giving away the lead than taking it himself because he enjoys playing with other guitar players. That's all fine with me, but I'm paying to see him play and not his other guitar players. Besides that, I don't like the sound of the new band, but that's just my personal preference. His setlists have been amazing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_on_my_Hair View Post
Could only name the big hits, but I saw him play for almost 3 hrs a few yrs back here and he just blew me away with his sheer skill, which made up for the lack of talking and stage presence! A sheer joy to watch.

andi
Clapton has never, ever played for almost 3 hours, and the tour you're describing had a set that in fact was his shortest in years. If that show blew you away, you should go see him now or download one of his shows from the 1988-1992 era. That was him peaking. The tour in 2004 was just disappointing.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

Clapton has never, ever played for almost 3 hours, and the tour you're describing had a set that in fact was his shortest in years. If that show blew you away, you should go see him now or download one of his shows from the 1988-1992 era. That was him peaking. The tour in 2004 was just disappointing.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Well it seemed like 3hrs! No, but seriously it must have been about 2 and a half then. Or maybe it was because the version of 'I shot the sherrif' that he he did was about 2 days long..but anyway.
I was thinking of seeing him at Hyde park this year actually, but it clashes with twickers i think.

andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine
Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_on_my_Hair View Post
Well it seemed like 3hrs! No, but seriously it must have been about 2 and a half then. Or maybe it was because the version of 'I shot the sherrif' that he he did was about 2 days long..but anyway.
I was thinking of seeing him at Hyde park this year actually, but it clashes with twickers i think.

andi
1 hour and 50 minutes. All shows were that long. And yes, I Shot The Sherrif was brilliant that tour, it was about time that he revised that one. If Bon Jovi wouldn't have clashed with Clapton I'd have bought a ticket for Clapton too. A real shame.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 AM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

I saw him about 3 or 4 years ago, and was mildly satisfied. It wasn't a great show, certainly considering that I went to see him shine as a solo performer/guitarist. He played with a few different guitarists, one of them who was called Derek Trucks who impressed me on the slide guitar. The band was large, the music was good, but I'd like to have seen a bit more soloing from Eric. If you really want to see him shine go get the Cream, live at Royal Albert Hall reunion DVD that they did in 2005. For a band comprised of only three 60 year olds that was mind blowing.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I saw him about 3 or 4 years ago, and was mildly satisfied. It wasn't a great show, certainly considering that I went to see him shine as a solo performer/guitarist. He played with a few different guitarists, one of them who was called Derek Trucks who impressed me on the slide guitar. The band was large, the music was good, but I'd like to have seen a bit more soloing from Eric. If you really want to see him shine go get the Cream, live at Royal Albert Hall reunion DVD that they did in 2005. For a band comprised of only three 60 year olds that was mind blowing.
I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but just in case . . .

Derek Trucks has played with the Allman Brothers Band from time to time. I think he also has his own band. Not sure exactly what he's doing these days. His uncle is Butch Trucks -- drummer for the Allman Brothers Band. Ahhh . . . Southern rock.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Jovi FANatic

I saw Clapton last year, and it was well worth the money. His version of Little Wing was mindblowing! His voice isn't what it used to be, but I didn't go to hear him sing.
April 24th, 2009 at The Joint, Las Vegas, Nevada
February 20th, 2010, Key Arena, Seattle, Washington
March 6th, 2010 at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada
March 25th, 2011 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
March 26th, 2011 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
October 2nd, 2013 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC

Tags
eric clapton