Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon at Billy Joel Concert

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 03:04 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Looking at the performance on a more granular level (again, it was passable), he still looks awkward even when attempting to do the front man schtick. I believe he has just lost it, whatever "it" may be.
Personally, I disagree. He looks like a guy in his 50s, grey hair and all, doing the front man schtick. I am fine with that - it's like Sinatra on coke (or rather, like a Sinatra affected by coke).

Old 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
he still looks awkward even when attempting to do the front man schtick. I believe he has just lost it, whatever "it" may be.
The vibes I was getting from Jon's performance is that he was trying hard to tap into his 2008-2011 stage persona (or whatever you wanna call it) which is why he looked somewhat awkward because Jon didn't want to make a fool of himself at a fellow musician's concert.

This is the maybe the 2nd time Jon has decided to revert to how he use to act on stage,you like how Jon was between 2008 to 2011 where he looked like he actually enjoyed himself onstage and was actively moving around the stage. Rock in Rio 2019 being the 1st time.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Personally, I disagree. He looks like a guy in his 50s, grey hair and all, doing the front man schtick. I am fine with that - it's like Sinatra on coke (or rather, like a Sinatra affected by coke).
You said that's your opinion so I am only coming back to further the discussion and not to try to change your mind.

If he is a guy in his 50s (grey hair, etc.) why would him doing that at 57 be different to him doing it at 47? That suggests something physical impedes him from looking as natural as he used to just ten years ago.

That may be. However, it looks to me that he cannot be the natural frontman anymore becuase he isn't one. He has moved on and needs to force it, which is why it does seem forced to me.

And look, I am no fan of the rock star living in the past and am not seeking that from Jon. That said, there's something missing when I see him perform. I think the most obvious explanation is a lack of passion.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Price of posting

when he could do justice to Billy Joel.
nostalgic mode on
Old 01-27-2020, 10:33 PM
These Days

I'm going against the grain here, but I think he did a better than decent job; especially (as I mentioned earlier) with the way he stayed in time and managed to keep up with the words without running out of breath, and apparently without a teleprompter. There's gotta be some reason he can do that with a cover but can't do it with his own songs, most of which don't require spitting out that many words at that clip.

With respect to him being a front man, by the time Big Shot was done I was actually thinking that there aren't many performers who could own the stage like he did in someone else's show and make you believe for a minute that the main act and his guys were Jon's backup band. Part of that may come down to Billy allowing himself to be upstaged; but I thought it was impressive nevertheless.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:39 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

God, the power in Richie's voice....
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
when he could do justice to Billy Joel.
Bon Jovi - Say Goodbye To Hollywood (Billy Joel Cover / Los Angeles 2002) - YouTube
nostalgic mode on
How I wish we had a full version of this one...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:00 PM
Jovi Freak

I think he looked VERY well! -_-
Old 01-27-2020, 11:14 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I'm going against the grain here, but I think he did a better than decent job; especially (as I mentioned earlier) with the way he stayed in time and managed to keep up with the words without running out of breath, and apparently without a teleprompter. There's gotta be some reason he can do that with a cover but can't do it with his own songs, most of which don't require spitting out that many words at that clip.

With respect to him being a front man, by the time Big Shot was done I was actually thinking that there aren't many performers who could own the stage like he did in someone else's show and make you believe for a minute that the main act and his guys were Jon's backup band. Part of that may come down to Billy allowing himself to be upstaged; but I thought it was impressive nevertheless.
I get both sides. He was good in terms of timing, but then again, that song (in terms of key and singing) is really not demanding.
In terms of him sounding better on other songs: I guess it has to do with muscle memory. He had so many "wrong" tricks over the years when he sang the catalogue that he falls back into the habit of doing them, but they don't work with what he has left now.
And in terms of teleprompter: There were some on stage. You can see the one on the left in this video and another video of the show shows one center stage at the front. Jon spied on it a bit as well.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:16 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

I actually REALLY enjoyed this. I thought he sounded alright. There was a certain line he sung and it sounded like Jon from a few years ago.

I don't even think he looked awkward. It's just dodgy dancing that he's always done but I'm used to it and expect it.

For the first time since about 2014, I actually thought he looked quite cool. Black suit jacket that was nice, smartly dressed and looking really relaxed. This is the type of Jon I've missed.

This will sound stupid but looked like he felt comfortable in his own skin a bit more. Winks to the crowd, the old smirk we are used to seeing, lounging on the piano when Billy Joel is singing etc..

The feedback on twitter has been decent from what I've seen. I don't think this has done any harm to ticket sales anyway.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...