Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon Bon Jovi and the songs he cleverly stole from others.

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Dry County

Oh and Noel Gallagher claimed that Captain Crash was a rip-off of Stay Young.

Milton Keynes Bowl 1996
The Forum 1997 (Jon)
Shepherd's Bush Empire 1998 (Richie)
Wembley Stadium 2000 (Sat)
Wembley Stadium 2000 (Sun)
Milton Keynes Bowl 2001
CD:UK 2002
Shepherd's Bush Empire 2002
Wembley Arena 2002 (Capital Request)
Wolverhampton 2003
Milton Keynes Bowl 2006
O2 Arena 2007
Twickenham 2008
O2 Arena 2010 (19th June)
O2 Arena 2010 (25th June - 40 mins of it anyway!)
Villa Park 2013
Hyde Park 2013

Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerboy View Post
Oh and Noel Gallagher claimed that Captain Crash was a rip-off of Stay Young.
he did? when did he do that?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
I think most of these are coincidental TBH.
Agreed. If you look hard enough, there's almost always a song you can claim sounds like another song. Granted there are some blatant rip offs including Hearts Breaking Even which Jon has admitted to as much that it sounded like an Aerosmith song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
7. Janie, Don't Take Your Love To Town: Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
12. Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars: Stay Young by Oasis)
I agree with you that Janie kind of sounds like Don't Look Back In Anger but I thought Jon was no fan of Oasis? I know he knocked them a couple of years ago when he made that off-colored comment about Oasis not being popular in America for a reason.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
I think most of these are coincidental TBH.
Some of them are, yeah. But most of them I feel aren't. When you're writing a song and you use the direct chord progression of another song you just know. It's not a co-incidence when you can copy an entire song directly on another song, it's just not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerboy View Post
Janie vs Don't Look Back in Anger?!
Not so sure about that.
Destination Anywhere was in the process of being written in late 95, early 96. Jon's lyrics were stolen in Feb 96 (I asked him if he had got them back when I met him March) so I'm pretty sure he'd have got to work on it before Don't Look Back was released.
However, the Oasis single was released while Jon was in the UK filming the Leading Man, so there's a minute possibility that he picked up on it.
Morning Glory was released in the fall of 1995 and Jon picked the album up pretty much the first few weeks of its release. Back then Jon was very much in the whole Britpop scene and didn't need the single release for DLBIA to get the song under his attention. That said, Janie was written in a hotel in Amsterdam in the summer of 1996 during the These Days tour after a fight he'd had with Dorothea. It was not written during the time he lived in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
I agree with you that Janie kind of sounds like Don't Look Back In Anger but I thought Jon was no fan of Oasis? I know he knocked them a couple of years ago when he made that off-colored comment about Oasis not being popular in America for a reason.
Jon was (not sure if he still is) a big fan of Oasis, up to the point of inviting them to tour with them through the U.K. in 1995. I'm not sure but I think they were supposed to be one of the support acts for the Wembley shows but Noel turned them down. After Jon commented on how "Oasis couldn't fill a bar in America" it created a huge backlash among Oasis and other music fans in general. Most felt Jon was talking out of his arse considering how Oasis sold out their date at Madison Square Garden faster than Bon Jovi ever did. Jon later retracted his comments about Oasis saying a reporter twisted his words and that Oasis deserved more promotion in the U.S.A. from the record company considering the talent they had.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
I think Jon said many times he was a big fan and wanted them to open for Bon Jovi in 1995. Liam or Noel turned him down saying "Don't get me wrong, Jon Bon Bon is a nice bloke, but his music sucks balls" or something like that. They've never been best friends since :P
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
he did? when did he do that?
Can't remember when it was, but I remember it being referenced either in a newspaper or on the radio.

Milton Keynes Bowl 1996
The Forum 1997 (Jon)
Shepherd's Bush Empire 1998 (Richie)
Wembley Stadium 2000 (Sat)
Wembley Stadium 2000 (Sun)
Milton Keynes Bowl 2001
CD:UK 2002
Shepherd's Bush Empire 2002
Wembley Arena 2002 (Capital Request)
Wolverhampton 2003
Milton Keynes Bowl 2006
O2 Arena 2007
Twickenham 2008
O2 Arena 2010 (19th June)
O2 Arena 2010 (25th June - 40 mins of it anyway!)
Villa Park 2013
Hyde Park 2013
Old 06-21-2012, 03:52 PM
The Distance

This topic has come up a million times before and weather they are similarities, stolen, or whatever, I really don't care.

Bon Jovi has a long enough catalog of originality and enough credibility as a songwriter so for someone to make a mountain out of these handful of songs is ridicules.

Bon Jovi has influences like everyone else. In my opinion, they don't scream copyright. A riff here, a zap there, it's not enough for me. You can play this game with any artist.

To be honest, this topic has less originality than the Bon Jovi songs listed.

Sorry!

Hopefully your other topic is more interesting and original

Last edited by Rdkopper; 06-21-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
This topic has come up a million times before and weather they are similarities, stolen, or whatever, I really don't care.

Bon Jovi has a long enough catalog of originality and enough credibility as a songwriter so for someone to make a mountain out of these handful of songs is ridicules.

Bon Jovi has influences like everyone else. In my opinion, they don't scream copyright. A riff here, a zap there, it's not enough for me. You can play this game with any artist.

To be honest, this topic has less originality than the Bon Jovi songs listed.

Sorry!

Hopefully your other topic is more interesting and original
I am well aware you can play this game with any artist, however, Jon is always the one going for being the real songwriter, the one who creates something original while there's close to 20 songs of his discography already that show that he stole more than just a riff here and there. I'm a big fan of Noel Gallagher's songwriting but he's the last one to claim that he didn't nick something from other artists. And there's no Oasis song that is a direct lift from any other songs. Some melody lines here and there, but that's about it. So as for other artists, I can't make a list of 20 songs of any other artist recorded that sound like other stuff. 2 or 3 maybe, yes, but not 20. If you can, feel free to create a topic about it in the Other Bands section because it's easy to say such a thing but you'll find it's a lot harder to actually do it.

Saying "Jon wrote plenty of songs so he can't possibly have stolen something else" is pretty much sticking your head in the sand refusing to believe the facts that are on the table. The question you should ask yourself instead is that if it's as obvious regarding these songs what goes on behind the scenes of what we're not aware of, hence me starting the other topic. If the songs listed here don't convince you that Jon stole from other artists then frankly I don't know what will. If a direct copy of a song doesn't scream copyright, then what does, according to you?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM
It's my post

I have a hard time believing that Jon and/or Richie sat down and said "let's steal and copy this song". They're coincidental. Yes, some songs may sound more alike than others, but if you try hard, you can find similarities in each and every song.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFan View Post
I have a hard time believing that Jon and/or Richie sat down and said "let's steal and copy this song". They're coincidental. Yes, some songs may sound more alike than others, but if you try hard, you can find similarities in each and every song.
Again, parts and bits, but not complete songs. Considering the millions of possibilities out there with the few notes we have chances are slim you'd write the exact same melody another artist has written before. Obviously it's possible, and if it happened once or twice in their career that's fine, but not over a dozen times.

In the end it's the same as me painting 100 pictures of which you recognize 12 from other artists. You'd not be saying "ha, that's just a co-incidence" either.

But go ahead and try before making such a bold claim. Try to find 20 songs by other artists that were nicked from songs previously released.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Tags
stole