Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Letter To A Friend

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

Default Letter To A Friend

Yeah, you can bet chor ass I'm making a song thread - I'm jumping on the bandwagon baby.

Letter To A Friend - what a brilliant boxset song. I remember I used to never listen to it because I judged it by it's title (what can I say? I was shallow back then).

But then a situation erected (hehehehehehe) where I became really close to this girl I once despised. I judged her too, I thought she was really bitchy because she was one of those drop dead gorgeous girls. Then I got to know her and well, she was bitchy but also very clever!

But she started dating a very good friend of mine. But I didn't care, she was just my friend and I knew my mate really liked her, I was happy for them - and as far as I was concered, I was still gonna marry Katie Melua one day anyway.

But me and this girl started getting closer. Always hugging, always working together when we had to work in pairs at college, always doing our little "booty shakes" togther, our handshakes, the way we'd be teasing each other and if it was a movie it'd be the part where we would lean in and kiss.

So yeah, I couldn't fall for this girl because she was with my mate. But I'm a sucker and I knew I would eventually fall for her.

One day I was on the bus, flicking through the songs on my iPod. I was looking through the boxset because I remember reading that Jon wrote some song about Kurt Cobain and I was interested in hearing it, I couldn't remember the name of it so I just assumed it was Letter To A Friend.

Well, that song definatly wasn't about Kurt Cobain. Oh whilst I'm here, let me tell you a little joke about Cobain.

Kurt Cobain had dandruff. How do I know? I found his head & shoulders behind the couch - BA DUM TSH!

Anyway. I realised that this Letter To A Friend song was brilliant and it spoke to me people, it spoke to me. The passion in Jon's vocals blew me away. I really liked it.

So I overdosed on it but the other night I rediscovered it.

Now my pretties, discuss this song, discuss it!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
These Days

I think the song is okay. It's got a nice groove and Jon sings in great but it never seems to reach the highs that it should. If feels to me when I listen to it that it's got a lot of unfulfilled potential. So I like it but I don't love it.

Also am I right in saying that this song is one of only two Bon Jovi songs who's title isn't part of the lyrics of the song?
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Blaze of Posting

I love the lyrics more than the song itself.
One of the highlights of the boxset for sure....
Old 02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Suddenly

Default livin on the edge eih?

Wide awake chief!!
there's somethin wrong with the world today, i DON'T know what it is, somethings wrong with our eyes..................
Old 02-28-2010, 04:54 PM
These Days

I remember thinking, 'What the shit is this?!' when I first heard it, but it did grow on me.

Reading the lyrics without hearing it definitely makes it sound/look better. Like Butters said, it just seems unfinished (obviously, I spose).

Barely even remember how it goes now actually, man I haven't listened to those tracks in ages... I AIN'T GONNA LOVE YOU!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grypweed View Post
I remember thinking, 'What the shit is this?!' when I first heard it, but it did grow on me.

Reading the lyrics without hearing it definitely makes it sound/look better. Like Butters said, it just seems unfinished (obviously, I spose).

Barely even remember how it goes now actually, man I haven't listened to those tracks in ages... I AIN'T GONNA LOVE YOU!
That sums it up. The lyrics are great, it's a passionate song. It just needs more work on the arrangement to deliver. It tries to build, but it's almost like what seems to be a building massive orgasm that results never happens.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Blaze of Posting

I'm gonna agree with everyone else. The lyrics are great, and I relate to them as I went through something REALLY similar about 5 years ago. But, like a lot of the box set, it sounds too unfinished, a true demo. Not complaining, as I love that we have it, but still.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
I'm gonna agree with everyone else. The lyrics are great, and I relate to them as I went through something REALLY similar about 5 years ago. But, like a lot of the box set, it sounds too unfinished, a true demo. Not complaining, as I love that we have it, but still.
I'm living it, except it crossed over into Dirty Little Secret, Damned, and WLOL.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Suddenly

Smile

From what I gather I'm interpreting this slightly differently to other people

The first few time I heard it, I thought it was quite contradictory (much like the first time I heard Anything for Love by MeatLoaf- it does actually make sense), but after listening to the lyrics a little closer (and considering the title), you realise they are infact very good.

My interpretation is more of a 'too close friends' sort of thing, 'I love you too much as a friend to love you like that' (One of those things that no-one believes makes sense until they are in that situation)

However it is interpreted though, it's undoubtedly a great song, but I will readily agree that it could have been a lot better. After all, it wasn't actually released on a studio album!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

God darn it.

Everyone else who made a song thread was like "I don't understand why people don't like this amazing song"

But then everyone replies with

"I love this song!"
"This song is the tits"
"WOOT WOOT for this song"
"I really like this song too"
"My favourite Bon Jovi song!"

But when I make a song thread the replies are like...

"Meh"
"'tis ok"
"Sounds unfinished"
"Needs polishing up"
"This song is alright, but nothing special, you're shit at this Oli"

It hurts me.

I think it would have been ruined if they did anything else to it <_<

NOW START PRAISING THE SONG A LITTLE BIT MORE.

Tags
letter to a friend