Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

2020: The New Album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge104 View Post
He didn’t say that, did he?
As quoted above he says it will be on the record. That's a strange thing to say if it will only be on the digital version, but I guess we will have to see...

Last edited by Thinny; 06-29-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 04:22 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Or they're realistic enough about how much the physical copies would sell and didn't do that massive of a first order. I'm not too well versed in manufacturing so it's just a theory but it's possible the label took a minor loss. It did take a LONG time to be officially delayed.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:35 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Or they're realistic enough about how much the physical copies would sell and didn't do that massive of a first order. I'm not too well versed in manufacturing so it's just a theory but it's possible the label took a minor loss. It did take a LONG time to be officially delayed.
The label would not destroy copies that had manufactured. Bear in mind that you are talking CD and Vinyl copies for all over the world, you are talking 100s of thousands. there isn't the kind of money in it these days where any label would be up for taking the hit on that.

If they had already been produced then expect a download code to be bundled with the album for We Do What We Can.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
The label would not destroy copies that had manufactured. Bear in mind that you are talking CD and Vinyl copies for all over the world, you are talking 100s of thousands. there isn't the kind of money in it these days where any label would be up for taking the hit on that.

If they had already been produced then expect a download code to be bundled with the album for We Do What We Can.
Oh true enough, I guess I forgot about vinyl too. Yeah, think you're right.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:39 PM
Jovi Addict

Send a message via MSN to Jack27

I've just listened back and jotted down what was said.

It came up because Jon was asked about "instinct and feeling" because he was supposed to be on tour this summer and instead was in quarantine...and he immediately pivoted and moved fast to release a new song "Do What You Can" and if he could talk about what that was like, what inspired you and what that process was like:

Jon:

I was meant to release the bands 17th album which was called 2020 and it’s a topical record, there’s so much to write about these days. It was completed and it was ready for release on 15th May. When the pandemic hit the record had already been finished and was in the proverbial can. This pandemic hits and I was at a place called the JBJ Soul Kitchen, which is one of our 3 restaurants where we serve an in need customer and a paying customer and created a model in community dining, but as I was washing dishes, a position which I hold with great esteem, my wife snapped a picture and she wanted to let the public know that we were open for takeaways, so she asked if we could put the picture up and asked what I think the caption should be, and I said “if you can’t do what you do you do what you can”…and I walked away not thinking anything of what I’d just said, but as marketeers can appreciate, a fellow marketeer, you know where’s that next thing, goes here’s a bumper sticker, ya know, there’s a song title, and so I started to write that song and I had some fun with it. I’d written the song in its entirety but I was also able to step back and realise that we as a planet were going through something together at the same time, so via the zoom, you know the World of technology, I put it out there and say “write me a verse, anyone who can write me some poetry, some prose, send it, and if I get my hands on it I can try and put the melody to it and we can all share this common experience, so it was fun to get that kind of input, and then I’ve recorded the song since with the band, proper, you know the way I wrote it. It’ll be on the record. How can you write a topical record and not have something about COVID and infact the George Floyd incident.

Jon was then asked if he was able to crowd source to incorporate but cut back in:

No, I mean not in the final, erm, as I said I had already written the song in its entirety but with the public I shared the chorus and the first verse to give them the melody and the idea and said lets crowd source. Truth is I didn’t really want 6,000 co-writers on the song [Laughs].
Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack27 View Post
How can you write a topical record and not have something about COVID and infact the George Floyd incident.

[Laughs].
Wait, I think I missed something, would there be a song about the events of the George Floyd incident?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:31 PM
This Post Feels Right

Yeah something is off here. He's implying Do What You Can references the George Floyd incident but that was May 25, looooooong after DWYC was written OR he changed lyrics. Or because weeks feel like months his timeline is off?

Or another song. I just don't know which of those is the most likely.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 PM
Jovi FANatic

my guess is he either wrote another song, or changed some lyrics in an existing song and will include it on 2020.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:48 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Yeah something is off here. He's implying Do What You Can references the George Floyd incident but that was May 25, looooooong after DWYC was written OR he changed lyrics. Or because weeks feel like months his timeline is off?

Or another song. I just don't know which of those is the most likely.
I don't see DWYC working with regards to the George Floyd thing AT ALL.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
I don't see DWYC working with regards to the George Floyd thing AT ALL.
I truly hope not. Unless it's a throwaway "we're marching for the rights" or something alluding to it. But rich white people singing about this will just....yikes..not go over well.

Tags
2020 (album)