Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Charleston Race War Shooting: Portrait of the Terrorist As A Young Man

NBJ - Everything Else

Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Something for the Posts

Default The Charleston Race War Shooting: Portrait of the Terrorist As A Young Man

Quote:
Daily Beast: Dylann Storm Roof has reportedly confessed to killing nine people at a historic black church in Charleston because he hoped it would start a “race war.” The 21-year-old from Lexington, South Carolina, was taken into custody in Shelby, North Carolina...and later told police that he himself bought the handgun he used in the shooting in April, according to law-enforcement sources...

John Mullins, who went to high school with Roof...remembers him as being “kind of wild...He used drugs heavily a lot...It was obviously harder than marijuana. He was like a pill popper, from what I understood. Like Xanax, and stuff like that.”

On February 28, Roof was...searched by officers...at a mall in Columbia (South Carolina)...after storekeepers complained that he was acting unusually and asking questions about opening hours and the number of staff on the premises...Roof was found to have strips of Suboxone, a pain drug sometimes used to treat opiate addiction. He did not have a prescription for the drug, which is commonly sold illegally on the street...He was charged with trespassing on April 26...found guilty on that charge a month later and fined...

Joseph Meek Jr...(a) best friend (in) middle school...says Roof had begun ranting about the murders of Trayvon Martin and Freddie Gray...“He said blacks were taking over the world. Someone needed to do something about it for the white race,” Meek said. “He said he wanted segregation between whites and blacks. I said, ‘That’s not the way it should be.’ But he kept talking about it.”

...Roommate Dalton Tyler told ABC News that Roof was “planning something like that for six months...He was big into segregation and other stuff...He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself."

...A sparse Facebook page, now taken down, showed an image of Roof apparently flaunting his belief in white supremacy by wearing a jacket with the flags of apartheid-era South Africa and white-ruled Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), which fought a bitter civil war against black majority rule...

Many of Roof’s Facebook friends, including those from his high school, are black...Christon Scriven, a friend...who is black...told the New York Daily News...“He flat out told us he was going to do this stuff...He was looking to kill a bunch of people.” He and their other friends assumed he had been joking. “He’s weird. You don’t know when to take him seriously and when not to,” he said.

Roof’s sister, Amber...had planned to get married Sunday...(H)er fiancé, Michael Tyo, lives just three miles from where Dylann Roof was arrested Thursday in North Carolina.

Yet the cousin of the church’s pastor—who was killed—quoted a survivor who said Roof told the church: “I have to do it. You’re raping our women and taking over the country. You have to go.”
Quote:
WHNT.com: Police had said earlier that Roof, of Lexington, South Carolina, may have been driving a black Hyundai...He was arrested after a traffic stop prompted by a tip from a citizen, police said.
His father should be charged as an accomplice for supplying him with the gun -- even if he didn't know about the drug arrest, he should have known about his son's high school drug problem.

Charleston is two hours south of Lexington; Shelby NC is nearly 4 hours north of Charleston. Which has me wondering about the nationality of his brother-in-law-to-be: if his sister wasn't marrying a white man, that could be part of his motive, too -- was Tyo to be Roof's next target? It would explain why he didn't kill himself.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 06-19-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

This is just evil - ugly and evil. I really despair for our American society.

Teach Your Children Well

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I read about the victims and couldn't believe this POS killed little old ladies. One was in her 70's and one was almost 90! I mean... really.... he targeted people who were engaged in a peaceful activity, hardly anyone who was "raping women." Six of the 9 victims WERE women.

IDIOT.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
...I screenshot and captioned it? My Jovitalk nick was in the original tweet, one of the captions appears in one of my earlier posts, the pic is on my server -- and you have the nerve to suspect me?
That was a joke, NOT a legal strategy.

Despite reports that he told his friends, his victims, AND the cops that he was trying to start a race war, a scramble is underway to insist that Dylann Roof is not a race-based domestic terrorist -- though the United States Patriot Act says different:

Quote:
Cornell University Legal Information Institute: U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions

(5) The term “domestic terrorism” means activities that:
(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(B) appear to be intended:
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
By his own admission, Roof intentionally performed an act dangerous to human life with the intent of intimidating or coercing a civilian population, which makes him guilty of domestic terrorism as well as murder and unlawful possession of a weapon. But depending on your political agenda, it turns out that just because Root told his friends, the cops, and even his victims that he was trying to start a race war, we SHOULDN'T draw the conclusion that he was trying to start a race war!

Quote:
NY Daily News: South Carolina...(m)agistrate James “Skip” Gosnell, Jr...announced in the courtroom packed with the victims’ anguished relatives:

“There are victims on this young man’s side of the family...Nobody would have ever thrown them into the whirlwind of events that they are being thrown into...We must find it in our heart at some point in time not only to help those that are victims but to also help his family as well.”

Gosnell’s...statement — which was aired live on cable news — drew the wrath of hordes of furious social media users...
Quote:
Daily Kos: ...Charles Cotton...of the National Rifle Association...decided to weigh in with his own explanation of who was really to blame for this horrific act of domestic terrorism: One of the murder victims...State Senator Clementa Pinckney..."voted against concealed-carry. Eight of his church members who might be alive if he had expressly allowed members to carry handguns in church are dead. Innocent people died because of his position on a political issue."
Quote:
Right Wing Watch: Texas Gov. Rick Perry described the mass shooting at an African American church in Charleston earlier this week as an “accident” that was possibly caused by the over-prescription of medication...

Instead of talking about guns, Perry said, we should be talking about prescription drugs: "It seems to me, again without having all the details about this, that these individuals have been medicated and there may be a real issue in this country from the standpoint of these drugs and how they’re used.”

He added that while the shooting was “a crime of hate,” he didn’t know if it should be called a terrorist attack.

Business Insider: Reached for comment, a Perry communications adviser wrote in an email..."When watching the entire interview, it's clear from the context of his comments that Governor Perry meant incident."
Quote:
AddictingInfo: During a radio interview...Rick Santorum claimed that...Roof chose his victims “indiscriminately.”

“It’s obviously a crime of hate. We don’t know the rationale, but what other rationale could there be?...(Y)ou talk about the importance of prayer at this time, and we’re now seeing assaults on religious liberty we’ve never seen before..."
Quote:
MediaMatters: Fox & Friends host Steve Doocy stated that it was extraordinary the massacre was being labeled a hate crime, positing, "It was a church, so maybe that's what they're talking about" and citing "hostility towards Christians."

Guest Bishop E. W. Jackson agreed that "most people jump to conclusions about race," and that "we don't know why he went into a church, but he didn't choose a bar" or "basketball court."

Later, frequent Fox guest and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani theorized that "we don't know the motivation of the person who did this," saying "maybe he hates Christian churches."

And later that day on Fox News Radio, Brian Kilmeade speculated that maybe the shooter "hates Christian churches" or possibly just the state of South Carolina.
Quote:
Huffington Post: "It was a horrific act and I don't know what the background of it is, but it was an act of hatred," Jeb Bush said.

Asked again whether the shooting was because of race, Bush added, "I don't know. Looks like to me it was, but we'll find out all the information. It's clear it was an act of raw hatred, for sure. Nine people lost their lives, and they were African-American. You can judge what it is."
Now, read these stories again, pretend that Roof is black and his victims were white, and see if they still make sense!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 02-18-2016 at 07:52 PM..
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Something for the Posts

Dylann Roof had a now defunct Facebook page which "showed an image of Roof apparently...wearing a jacket with the flags of apartheid-era South Africa and white-ruled Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), which fought a bitter civil war against black majority rule." But wait -- there's more.

It turns out Roof also had a personal web site called Last Rhodesian, consisting of a home page illustrated with a bloodied body and links to just two files. One is a zip file containing several dozen photos of Roof doing things like holding confederate flags. The other file is a manifesto of sorts -- here's how he launched his brilliant career:

Quote:
The event that truly awakened me was the Trayvon Martin case...It was obvious that Zimmerman was in the right...(It) prompted me to type in the words “black on White crime”...and I have never been the same...The first website I came to was the Council of Conservative Citizens...I researched deeper and found out...that the same things were happening in...all the other Western European countries...I found out about the...other issues facing our race, and I can say today that I am completely racially aware.
About that Council of Conservative Citizens: According to Rachel Maddow, it was founded in 1954 in response to United States racial segregation laws being struck down, their specialty was harassing anti-segregationists, they've donated an average of $1000US to roughly fifty Republican groups and politicians since the decade began -- and four of those politicians are in the running to be the next U.S. president!

Quote:
Guardian.com: (CCC leader) Earl Holt has given $65,000 to Republican campaign funds in recent years while inflammatory remarks – including that black people were “the laziest, stupidest and most criminally-inclined race in the history of the world” – were posted online in his name...

(Senator) Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign said it would be returning...$8,500...received from CCC...However, a spokesman...said the senator...would instead be making an $11,000 donation to the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund..."to help support the families of victims from the Charleston shooting.”

...In a statement...Rick Santorum said he, too, would be donating past campaign contributions to the fund for the victims’ families...

ThinkProgress.org: While Senator Rand Paul quickly moved to donate the contributions he received from Earl Holt III to a fund established to help the victims’ families, this stands in stark contrast to his past handling of white separatist donors.

JS Online: Governor Scott Walker, who could announce his presidential bid as early as July 13, will give to charity the donations he received from...the Council of Conservative Citizens...

Equally important, the manifesto once and for all settles the question of Roof's motives:
Quote:
...I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the Internet. Well, someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me...
Leaving quite a few politicians with egg on their faces. But if Dylan Roof is not a domestic terrorist, not a demon, and not a racist, what does that leave? Being nuttier than squirrel turds. New Jersey governor and United States presidential candidate Chris Christie described Roof as "obviously pretty depraved." And below (from left to right): Rand Paul, Lindsey Graham, Nikki Haley, Mark Sanford, Bobby Jindal.

P.S. Roof's manifesto also contains remarks about Jews and Hispanics that give good cause to conclude that he is most likely not a Bon Jovi fan.

Last edited by rocknation; 12-09-2015 at 03:03 AM..