2020: The New Album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovi98 View Post
I expect one album with sonority kind "Walls" , "Born Again Tomorrow"
Oh no! I don’t like those songs!!!

Sigh... If only JBJ could remember his own words: "Some of the pop songs on the radio as well as the rap stuff are products of a studio environment but then us go in and record an organic rock record."

Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
RSO really has nothing to do with it, he came into that project very late when the songs were already written and a lot of it was recorded. If you've ever seen any footage of Bob in the studio he is very hands on and very opinionated, he certainly had his clashes in the studio when we worked with Metallica. I can't see Shanks really opposing anything Jon asks for...
He came in late but "co-wrote" 5 of the songs, he gave enough input. If he's the producer and the songs make the record he is in the position to say "this won't do, let's re-record this, are we sure this is the vibe we want etc" so it coming out like it did falls on him as well. Look at what he's produced since 2014 (Though it's even odder that Radio Free America slid so far under the radar that whoever edits his Instagram didn't even know about it):

2014 – The Offspring – Summer Nationals (EP)
2014 – Black Veil Brides – Black Veil Brides IV
2014 – Sarah McLachlan – Shine On
2014 – Jann Arden – Everything Almost
2014 – Bryan Adams – Tracks of My Years
2015 – The Offspring – Coming for You (Single)
2016 – The Cult – Hidden City
2018 – Jann Arden – These Are the Days

I don't think he's the producing type he used to be. He's not going to come back and whip an aging band back into shape, I think it's just too far gone and Jon is too comfortable.

I truly think Shanks and Jon butt heads to make what they want to make. I have no reason to think there's no conflict sometimes. It's just the end product is so mediocre.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
He came in late but "co-wrote" 5 of the songs, he gave enough input. If he's the producer and the songs make the record he is in the position to say "this won't do, let's re-record this, are we sure this is the vibe we want etc" so it coming out like it did falls on him as well. Look at what he's produced since 2014 (Though it's even odder that Radio Free America slid so far under the radar that whoever edits his Instagram didn't even know about it):

2014 – The Offspring – Summer Nationals (EP)
2014 – Black Veil Brides – Black Veil Brides IV
2014 – Sarah McLachlan – Shine On
2014 – Jann Arden – Everything Almost
2014 – Bryan Adams – Tracks of My Years
2015 – The Offspring – Coming for You (Single)
2016 – The Cult – Hidden City
2018 – Jann Arden – These Are the Days

I don't think he's the producing type he used to be. He's not going to come back and whip an aging band back into shape, I think it's just too far gone and Jon is too comfortable.

I truly think Shanks and Jon butt heads to make what they want to make. I have no reason to think there's no conflict sometimes. It's just the end product is so mediocre.

I don't agree with much of that to be honest. I don't get why you are putting such a big emphases on the RSO record.

Bob has done everything from Pop to Metal...all listing his recent jobs does is is prove how versitile he is, probably one of the reasons he was what Richie wanted to help fix the RSO album. say whatever you like about that album, it is certainky varied in styles!

I wouldn't take much notice on Wiki either. Shanks' page only lists What About Now from Bon Jovi onhis production discography, none of the others!

Look at Shanks stuff and it's mainly pop artists, mainly solo artists or vocal groups. One of my main problems with Shanks is that he used a very similar sound on a lot of his records. I recognised his production style on a Melissa Etheridge album, before I knew it was him! His most recent jobs are Take That, Boyzone and Babara Steisand. Again the Steisand song has been all over BBC Radio 2 and it definitely has a Shanks sound on it too...

For me, a poor producer is one that imprints his sound on everything he does, rather than bringing out the best of the artists sound, which is what I believe Bob does...

I still see Shanks as a yes man and that's why Jon likes him. He's not going to disagree with Jon and rock the boat. He's got a cushy gig there! And he's not a band guy and he's not a rock guy. But regardless, we all know it's not going to change because Jon is too comfortable with him, his vocal insecurities probably have a lot to do with that. Shanks is never going to be the one to push Jon to try something different, or interesting. I still believe that the right producer could do that, but I guess we will never know....

Last edited by Thinny; 01-11-2019 at 08:44 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Oh no! I don’t like those songs!!!

Sigh... If only JBJ could remember his own words: "Some of the pop songs on the radio as well as the rap stuff are products of a studio environment but then us go in and record an organic rock record."

I like those songs.... ,anyway....i think that maybe the new album could reserve some surprises.... but we'll find out more probably the next year....

Last edited by Jovi98; 01-11-2019 at 11:35 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Breakout

I think that in this time of inactivity of the band until the summer concerts, they should edit is doing Bruce Springsteen, historical concerts. Christmas would have been a perfect time to edit some of the concerts they did in the previous Christmases.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Jovi Fan

Hi!

I hadn´t listened to "1000000 BJ Fans can´t be wrong" for ages, until this week. I remember thinking many of the songs not being that good, but now I think they have gotten better thanks to the years and albums between. I have realised once again that the past doesn´t have to be just a photo.

I wish they could release a record that made their best albums seem less superb, but maybe they´re not in that wave anymore.

I think they´re content with their legacy and that that prevents them from looking for more, it´s just like they have no ambition (voice troubles an others appart).

I think.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
I don't agree with much of that to be honest. I don't get why you are putting such a big emphases on the RSO record.

Bob has done everything from Pop to Metal...all listing his recent jobs does is is prove how versitile he is, probably one of the reasons he was what Richie wanted to help fix the RSO album. say whatever you like about that album, it is certainky varied in styles!

I wouldn't take much notice on Wiki either. Shanks' page only lists What About Now from Bon Jovi onhis production discography, none of the others!

Look at Shanks stuff and it's mainly pop artists, mainly solo artists or vocal groups. One of my main problems with Shanks is that he used a very similar sound on a lot of his records. I recognised his production style on a Melissa Etheridge album, before I knew it was him! His most recent jobs are Take That, Boyzone and Babara Steisand. Again the Steisand song has been all over BBC Radio 2 and it definitely has a Shanks sound on it too...

For me, a poor producer is one that imprints his sound on everything he does, rather than bringing out the best of the artists sound, which is what I believe Bob does...

I still see Shanks as a yes man and that's why Jon likes him. He's not going to disagree with Jon and rock the boat. He's got a cushy gig there! And he's not a band guy and he's not a rock guy. But regardless, we all know it's not going to change because Jon is too comfortable with him, his vocal insecurities probably have a lot to do with that. Shanks is never going to be the one to push Jon to try something different, or interesting. I still believe that the right producer could do that, but I guess we will never know....
My emphasis on the RSO example was people are making it the be-all end-all that if they get a producer like Bob Rock it will produce a well crafted product that will bring the fans back and make everyone happy. My point was in doesn't work that way when you're as big as Jon and Richie, they're going to make the album they want to make and it doesn't matter who is producing. 30+ years in, no producer is going to tell them to re-write a song and everyone's examples of producers doing so are very outdated. IF any producer comes along and pushes them to change then the hardcore fans will accuse them of pandering to modern styles. It's a lose/lose.

Agreed with Shanks's style. The overly compressed sound, the guitar parts. Like I said in a previous post, it's easier to hear the parts he played on WAN knowing what his playing is like. One of Michelle Branch's hits came on and it was very easy to realize it was him playing.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
My point was in doesn't work that way when you're as big as Jon and Richie, they're going to make the album they want to make and it doesn't matter who is producing. 30+ years in, no producer is going to tell them to re-write a song and everyone's examples of producers doing so are very outdated.
This may be true in Jon or Richie's case, but certainly not every band. I recently watched a documentary on the making on the last Deep Purple record, which was released last year, and Bob Ezrin (the producer) was very critical of their perfomances and their songs and suggested some major changes to them. Of course at the end of the day it's up to the band, but if they don't listen to the producer then they are wasting their money hiring him. He's there to be critical and get the best out of them. There is absolutely no point in one that just agress to whatever the artist wants.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
This may be true in Jon or Richie's case, but certainly not every band. I recently watched a documentary on the making on the last Deep Purple record, which was released last year, and Bob Ezrin (the producer) was very critical of their perfomances and their songs and suggested some major changes to them. Of course at the end of the day it's up to the band, but if they don't listen to the producer then they are wasting their money hiring him. He's there to be critical and get the best out of them. There is absolutely no point in one that just agress to whatever the artist wants.
But isn't that contradictory to say he's agreeing to whatever the band wants but it also sounds like his style? I mean Jon clearly likes working with him and likes how the records sound and I guess that's the sound he's chasing and John gets it dialed up the fastest. It's sad when someone you respect falls into routine, he needs to push himself to do better.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
But isn't that contradictory to say he's agreeing to whatever the band wants but it also sounds like his style? I mean Jon clearly likes working with him and likes how the records sound and I guess that's the sound he's chasing and John gets it dialed up the fastest. It's sad when someone you respect falls into routine, he needs to push himself to do better.
Not really, a producer having their own sound on the records and pushing the band to be better are really two different conversations, one doesn't contardict the other. Personally, I think it boils down to lazyness on both parts.

Tags
2020 (album)