Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

What About Now revisited

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
The last major artist I heard had signed one was Madonna, I think? Not sure how that worked out for her.
But again, that wasn't really a record deal as such. It was an add on (through Live Nation) to her record deal, which was with Interscope. the deal with Live Nation was for 10 years and expired last year, but I wouldn't be suprised he her legal team got her out of it before that. It certianly won't have been renewed, so as I said, those kind of deals are outdated now and have been for some time.

Last edited by Thinny; 07-30-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 11:32 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
But again, that wasn't really a record deal as such. It was an add on (through Live Nation) to her record deal, which was with Interscope. the deal with Live Nation was for 10 years and expired last year, but I wouldn't be suprised he her legal time got her out of it befroe that. It certianly won't have been renewed, so as I said, those kind of deals are dead and buried and have been for some time.
Madonna's "deal" as such was with LiveNation, it's quite a bit more complicated than it's worth explaining on here but for all intents and purposes it was a 'true' 360 deal as LiveNation had ownership of all rights mechanical and otherwise. The Interscope deal was a license to reproduce, rather than anything of a traditional record deal - the rights were still owned by LiveNation.

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Something for the Posts

They may own the rights, but live nation partnered with interscope to do the record label side of it. Techincally, she was signed to Interscope with Live Nation maintaining the rights and dealing with the 360 deal. Either way, it's a dead and buried deal now. And it's getting too complicated and off topic!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:02 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Just given WAN another spin, for the first time in about two years.

It's just dull and lifeless - easily the worst Jovi album for me - and the whole thing feels rushed and unfinished for whatever reason (not getting in that!). Another few months recording and it could have been better, for example

Highlights:
What's Left of Me could have been a great song - some good lyrics and melody ruined by the recording.
That's What The Water Made Me - again another potentially good to great song that falls short. Probably the best song on the album.
BWC could have been a pop masterpiece. Easy to singalong to, incredibly catchy. Might have been better given to another artist though.
Pictures of You - good song. Bad recording and bad production.

Lowlights:
Army of One. Just awful lyrics.
Amen - It's been said before but nothing more than a bad Hallelujah rip-off.
Thick As Thieves - Awful lyrics again - the middle 8 especially.

The songs are key, and JBJ can still be a great songwriter as THINFS proved IMO. But most of the songs on WAN are just lines that rhyme, there's no passion, no fun, no nothing. Complete waste of time.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
They may own the rights, but live nation partnered with interscope to do the record label side of it. Techincally, she was signed to Interscope with Live Nation maintaining the rights and dealing with the 360 deal. Either way, it's a dead and buried deal now. And it's getting too complicated and off topic!
Oh dear... well "technically"... ah nevermind. These things are hard enough to discuss with people who genuinely should know what they are talking about let alone "the internet".

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I'd rather spend my time with something that's worth it since I just got a Pro Shot VHS of a certain concert in a small London theatre in 1990 that many fans have never though it'd exist.
Please elaborate! You can't just drop a bomb like that without details???

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 02:38 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez View Post
Oh dear... well "technically"... ah nevermind. These things are hard enough to discuss with people who genuinely should know what they are talking about let alone "the internet".
Obviousy you are the authority on the subject!

Either way this deal is actually the opposite of what RD had initally suggested in this thread. This is the promoter talking more of an involvement in recorded output, not the label taking more of an involvement on the bands touring schedule...

Last edited by Thinny; 07-31-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Old 07-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Just given WAN another spin, for the first time in about two years.

It's just dull and lifeless - easily the worst Jovi album for me - and the whole thing feels rushed and unfinished for whatever reason (not getting in that!). Another few months recording and it could have been better, for example

Highlights:
What's Left of Me could have been a great song - some good lyrics and melody ruined by the recording.
That's What The Water Made Me - again another potentially good to great song that falls short. Probably the best song on the album.
BWC could have been a pop masterpiece. Easy to singalong to, incredibly catchy. Might have been better given to another artist though.
Pictures of You - good song. Bad recording and bad production.

Lowlights:
Army of One. Just awful lyrics.
Amen - It's been said before but nothing more than a bad Hallelujah rip-off.
Thick As Thieves - Awful lyrics again - the middle 8 especially.

The songs are key, and JBJ can still be a great songwriter as THINFS proved IMO. But most of the songs on WAN are just lines that rhyme, there's no passion, no fun, no nothing. Complete waste of time.
Don’t get all the hate for Army of One but then praise for Pictures.
AOO has cringy lyrics, but we’re talking about Bon Jovi...it’s full of positivity and self-help. Even if you hate the lyrics, the two guitar solos alone make it better than a lot of post 2000 tracks.
Re Pictures, I really have tried, but that horrible Killers-like production and that ‘Picasso’ line, lord that IS the definition of cringyness 😂. Shanks at his best/worst
Old 07-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Keep the Faith

I don't listen to it very much although I have some nice memories connected with that album. But like somebody else wrote before, the songs as a compilation for this very album don't work. When you listen to single tracks as part of a shuffle most of them aren't too bad.
The problem I had right from the beginning with this album is the song order. The first half is ok the second half bores to death. That's what I thought 5 years ago and that's what I'm still thinking after I listened to the whole album just an hour ago.
I'm With You and What's Left Of Me are my favourites. Both could have been better if the production wasn't the way it is. I also like Army Of One and the band's choir on Because We Can. That's What The Water Made used to be a favourite as well but I probably listened to it too much.

I don't know, if that album is the worst in their history. That classification always depends on my mood. Some days it's What About Now, on other days it's This House. And since I never got warm with Lost Highway that one has its ups and downs in my personal ranking as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:56 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

To me, Bounce, HAND and the Circle are WORSE albums, although can't deny Shanks destroyed the potential of certain songs...

Tags
what about now