Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Alec John Such's final weeks (/last performance?) with Bon Jovi

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Jovi FANatic

I remember reading an article written after KTF was released, but before they'd started writing for These Days. I wanna say it was before a European show, maybe Milan. I remember it as a band interview as Alec clearly stated he wanted the next album to be heavier and Jon said he hadn't decided if it would be or not.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
I remember reading an article written after KTF was released, but before they'd started writing for These Days. I wanna say it was before a European show, maybe Milan. I remember it as a band interview as Alec clearly stated he wanted the next album to be heavier and Jon said he hadn't decided if it would be or not.
And These Days was soft & full of ballads, because during the early 90s Jovi was huge in Europe (more so than in US) because of ballads (Bed Of Roses, Always)....
Old 10-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
And These Days was soft & full of ballads, because during the early 90s Jovi was huge in Europe (more so than in US) because of ballads (Bed Of Roses, Always)....
I wouldn't call These Days soft - songs like Hey God, All I Want Is Everything, Something For The Pain, Damned, and even These Days itself aren't soft at all.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
I wouldn't call These Days soft - songs like Hey God, All I Want Is Everything, Something For The Pain, Damned, and even These Days itself aren't soft at all.
Neither are Lie to Me, My Guitar, or any other "ballad" on that album. Soft does not mean slower music. The lyrics are deep and dark. If it just means no crunching guitar and metal then fair enough, but New Jersey was already moving away from Bon Jovi going that route.

In terms of content, Bad Medicine is softer than Lie to Me. If you want heavy for the sake of heavy, Bon Jovi was never a band that was going to please you long term.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Interesting to see that timeframe since the public perception for a long time was that he'd been fired because of those 2 interviews from July.
But obviously there were 3 month more in which more stuff must have been happened which led to that decision.
The Behind the Music segment certainly leads one to believe that the July interview was the final straw, even if it took three months for Jon to actually sever the ties.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Jovi FANatic

Alec was a loose cannon - an alleged alcoholic who had some eclectic pastimes and was also not that great, or perhaps reliable, a player.

No brainer JBJ wanted him gone. He was/is a control freak.

Bare in mind, during that era, JBJ would only agree to photo's being used in magazines that HE had vetted first - Ross Halfin, a well known photographer was apparently banned from taking pics of Jon because they made Jon "look old".
Old 10-14-2016, 05:00 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Alec was a loose cannon - an alleged alcoholic who had some eclectic pastimes and was also not that great, or perhaps reliable, a player.

No brainer JBJ wanted him gone. He was/is a control freak.

Bare in mind, during that era, JBJ would only agree to photo's being used in magazines that HE had vetted first - Ross Halfin, a well known photographer was apparently banned from taking pics of Jon because they made Jon "look old".
I remember reading that quote on Ross's website but for some reason I thought it was post Crush era he said that.

EDIT: Found it http://www.rosshalfin.com/bon-jovi/bon-jovi01.php. There are quite a few late 90s pics, I dont think the banning could have happened during that era.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 10-14-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I remember reading that quote on Ross's website but for some reason I thought it was post Crush era he said that.

EDIT: Found it http://www.rosshalfin.com/bon-jovi/bon-jovi01.php. There are quite a few late 90s pics, I dont think the banning could have happened during that era.
I think this was after 2000 for sure. In fact, it may have been after 2005. I know Halfin photographed the Classic Rock spreads in 2000(2001?) and the one where Jon has cigarette smoke on his face (forget the year).

I do remember reading somewhere that Jon had a no-nudity contract, I think that was around 1995-ish. Not for his movies, but for when he was coming to events. I read that someone from his team would go ahead with a contract for the press stating if "nudity occurred" then they would not publish photos.

Not sure if that is true, probably nonsense. I always found it hilarious though.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
The Behind the Music segment certainly leads one to believe that the July interview was the final straw, even if it took three months for Jon to actually sever the ties.

Alec John Such - Behind the music - YouTube
I have always thought Richie sounds more pissed off than Jon over Alec's situation in this clip. From this, it seems Richie was on board with him being fired. Also, Jon sounds so false at the end when he says he thinks of him a lot.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlookin View Post
I think this was after 2000 for sure. In fact, it may have been after 2005. I know Halfin photographed the Classic Rock spreads in 2000(2001?) and the one where Jon has cigarette smoke on his face (forget the year).

I do remember reading somewhere that Jon had a no-nudity contract, I think that was around 1995-ish. Not for his movies, but for when he was coming to events. I read that someone from his team would go ahead with a contract for the press stating if "nudity occurred" then they would not publish photos.

Not sure if that is true, probably nonsense. I always found it hilarious though.
The "ban" may well have been post 2000 but I'm pretty sure the approving of photos was during the 90's too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlookin View Post
I have always thought Richie sounds more pissed off than Jon over Alec's situation in this clip. From this, it seems Richie was on board with him being fired. Also, Jon sounds so false at the end when he says he thinks of him a lot.
Yeah I've always thought the thinking of Alec comment was fake. Good actor, our Jon...

Tags
alec john such