Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Why did they drop Nothing

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by APK876 View Post
In regards to B-sides vs. regular album tracks, I agree with the notion that post 2000, the band has made some serious mistakes with album song choices.

CRUSH
Overall, we all have our favorites and we love some songs more than others, however, "Thank you..." could have easily been replaced (not enough heart in that one) and "Save The World" is just god awful.

BOUNCE
Easily the album where half of it (IMO) should have been dumped and replaced by demos. EVERYONE agrees that there were some serious mistakes with the song selection on this album. It's a shame because I think it's easily the band weakest album and one that will not stand the test of time. In fact, every b-side sounds better than half of the album.

HAND
A pretty solid representation of songs, I just feel that they slept through the writing process. There are some damn good songs on it, but few "classics". I do feel that "Nothing" and "Unbreakable" were far superior to "Wildflower" and "Bells of Freedom".

I think the box set showcases how many damn good songs these guys have. I have to tell ya, I wish they would be a little more daring in their song selections and write from their gut and their heart instead of trying to write a big hit. The record industry that Bon Jovi grew up in and had major sucess in is dying a very fast death. In 5 years time, it won't be about where your album debuted, how many number one's you have or how many records you sold worldwide...it'll be about the live performance and credibility.

Their best music (SWW, NJ, KTF, These Days) came when they took chances and dared to be different.

xTony
Sounds about right to me.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Jovi Geek

I still love Save The World and would not have replaced it. And I disagree with Unbreakable and Nothing being better than Wildflower and Bells Of Freedom. I think the right choices were made for HAND.

deb
Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 AM
PLAY KING OF THE MOUNTAIN...
I Don't Want To Post Forever

First time I've heard that, sounds pretty cool
Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Troublemaker
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
First time I've heard that, sounds pretty cool
yeh i aint heard it until the other day

alto better than i am if you ask me
Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Tony, I've got one word for you: Complicated. It's about as lyrically outstanding as the songs Madonna wrote/recorded around the time of "Holiday." It's much more embarrassing IMO than Bells. Bells took on new meaning for me through my friend Debbie in Biloxi. The song helped her get through loosing just about everything to Katrina. Picturing what used to be the Gulf Coast while listening to those lyrics touches my heart. The lyrics of that song were able to take on a meaning they never intended. I think that's one of Jon & Richie's gifts as songwriters. They do write songs that can appeal to people in situations they never imagined when they wrote the song.

Quote:
Their best music (SWW, NJ, KTF, These Days) came when they took chances and dared to be different.
Were they really taking chances and being different with SWW and NJ? We're about the same age, but I don't remember the songs from SWW or NJ standing out as anything really different than whatever else was on the radio at the time. The difference to my pre-teen and teenage ears was that I liked the singer better than I liked the others (Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, Def Lep, Aerosmith, Winger, Warrant). But either they were playing the same melodic rock and power ballads as everyone else or everyone else was striving to be Bon Jovi.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:08 AM
PLAY KING OF THE MOUNTAIN...
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Yah, Keep the Faith was kind-of an update, whereas These Days was probably taking a risk (one that certainly paid off in Europe if not in the silly states)
Old 12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by APK876 View Post
In regards to...

The song helped her get through loosing just about everything to Katrina. Picturing what used to be the Gulf Coast while listening to those lyrics touches my heart. The lyrics of that song were able to take on a meaning they never intended. I think that's one of Jon & Richie's gifts as songwriters. They do write songs that can appeal to people in situations they never imagined when they wrote the song.QUOTE]

I'm glad your friend found something in it, but compared to numerous other songs by other artists, I cringe when I hear it, it's really a low level reach, especially politically. JBJ mentioned how he wrote it to appease both the left and right wing people where if he had written what he really felt from his gut versus being worried what people would think, I think we would have a better song. It's VERY well intentioned but compared to hundreds of other songs I have heard, it's weak (IMO). Please remember, it's my feelings only. But after hearing BOF I can see why Springsteen fans make fun of JBJ.

Were they really taking chances and being different with SWW and NJ? QUOTE]

Yes, they were using a acoustic guitar, recording in mono, talk box, etc. SWW was different from what else was out there and NJ was recorded from the gut without constant "over thinking". Really, did the minor changes to HAND and Complicated really improve the songs? No. In fact, they dumbed them down.

What it boils down to me is that they have sold 100 million records, had another #1 song, sold out stadiums in the US....what other reasures could he possibly want?

At some point, I want the band to go back to their roots and create music that will not sound embarassing a decade from now. I want complicated albums that may take me a year to appreciate rather than chasing commcerial dreams of grandeur.

xT

I see your point but I simply disagree about NJ. NJ took no chances, was rushed to get out and was merely SWW pt 2 in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I love the album, I just don't believe it was all that different than it's predecessor. I went into this agreeing with Becky that SWW was just another 80's album, albeit a frigging great one but I never thought of it your way. They did do a lot different than the current (at the time, obviously) rock scene, good points.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to bonsab

How could i live,
Why would i try.
I could learn to live without you but i would die.
I could learn to live without you but that´s a lie
Noo, i won´t let you down.
No, i won´t let you down.

I hope they bring good songs in the the new album.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I see your point but I simply disagree about NJ. NJ took no chances, was rushed to get out and was merely SWW pt 2 in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I love the album, I just don't believe it was all that different than it's predecessor. I went into this agreeing with Becky that SWW was just another 80's album, albeit a frigging great one but I never thought of it your way. They did do a lot different than the current (at the time, obviously) rock scene, good points.
NJ may not really have been groundbreaking, but it just about the peak of their growth in the hair metal direction. The way I once heard someone describe it, which I agree with, is a combination of the best bits of 7800 and SWW

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!

Tags
nothing (song)