Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

John Shanks

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
He's got a guy who he can trust, who understands him. He's safe...

The more I hear JBJ saying Shanks is his shrink, the more I think he's going to stay
I also wish Shanks could be hard at JBJ, no the other way
like Shanks himself has said: "I'm very lucky, because I see the artist. I see him when he's pacing around the room trying to find the right word. I'm always the one to say, let's record it, we've got it, let's put it down. He's like, 'No, man, let's get it to a place where the lyric is tight and locked down. If he's hard on me, he's twice as hard on himself."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Remember that a song like Something For The Pain

it was because John Kalodner who told them to rewrite it again, in JBJ words: "He's one of the smartest guys I've ever met. That's just the way it is. He's been a friend of mine... and Kalodner said, 'I don't like it'. And it was his persistence that made the song Great! after 6 months of toil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys View Post
Yeah, he's on another level, but only when he's not completely drunk.
you know, he must also have some guilt too, who knows?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by † ÀžžÀ † View Post
What are people’s views on Shanks? Is he truly responsible for the current sound? How much blame can be laid at his door for Richie’s departure?

Does his continued presence impinge on your love of the band and moreover threaten their legacy? How do you feel seeing him up on stage?

I was not exactly a fan and today listened to his podcast with Everyone Guitar. Suffice to say I now like him even less. For me he comes across as arrogant and full of his own importance. I also remember him retweeting that photoshopped image of Sambora gazing at the band during their THINFS shoot. So disrespectful.

As far as I’m concerned Shanks’ friendship with Jon has brought about the end of the Bon Jovi we knew and love. To his detriment Jon can’t look beyond him as far producers go and it’s resulting in serious dissatisfaction amongst the fan base.

It was pretty insulting to see Shanks up there at the RHOF performance. It’s also pretty insulting to know he handles most of the studio solos when’s Phil X is now an official member. How is that allowed to happen?

Anyone else wish Jon was brave enough to move in another direction?
My opinion about Shanks, is a big commercial producer, but he has already repeated too many times with Bon Jovi, and it starts to be a problem, there is no freshness, the guy tries but his tricks are the same, and yes, he is responsible for the current sound of the band, with Jon, but let's not forget who is the producer of each recording. Richie has also had a creative descent in this band, I guess because of all the problems he had to deal with, and being in a band in constant movement it should not have been easy to stay on the boat for so many years.

I do not like John Shanks, but now I see it as a necessary evil to continue. The friendship with Jon has arisen as a result of the distance of Richie, and we do not forget that John Shanks has obtained several hits, from Lost Highway, all their albums are numbers 1.

I would love to see Jon make a solo album, it's the only way to hear a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakatar View Post
I wonder why Jon decided to dump Luke Ebbin (and Bob Rock / Peter Collins before him) in the first place?
Jon did not work with Bob Rock because Bob had the agenda occupied at that time, I remember he was producing Skid Row - Subhuman Race, a great album badly produced by the way. Then Bob Rock, was working with Metallica for years (Load-Reload- Garage Inc - S&M -St Anger).

In past interviews, Jon wanted Bob Rock to produce his sixth album, but it was not possible.

Metllica worked for 14 years with Bob Rock, and finally there was a stagnation in the sound, now we have the same problem with John Shanks.

The great thing about having a different producer on each record is that it gave you a new flavor, and... it's a pity that this will not happen.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-10-2018 at 10:38 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Posting everyday

[QUOTE=YOVANAfromPeru;1244418

it was because John Kalodner who told them to rewrite it again, in JBJ words: "He's one of the smartest guys I've ever met. That's just the way it is. He's been a friend of mine... and Kalodner said, 'I don't like it'. And it was his persistence that made the song Great! after 6 months of toil"

[/QUOTE]

That's my biggest gripe right now - there is no one challenging Jon to push the envelope.
If Jon doesn't want to lose Shanks at all, maybe at least a cooperation with another producer would help. Lost Highway was half produced by another person (can't remember the name now) and it's the most organic sounding record we've had in the 2000's.
I'm sure Shanks is capable of a different sound as well, but no is challenging him to push for something out of his comfort zone, as he isn't pushing the band members to leave theirs either. It's going round in circles.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
That's my biggest gripe right now - there is no one challenging Jon to push the envelope.
If Jon doesn't want to lose Shanks at all, maybe at least a cooperation with another producer would help. Lost Highway was half produced by another person (can't remember the name now) and it's the most organic sounding record we've had in the 2000's.
I'm sure Shanks is capable of a different sound as well, but no is challenging him to push for something out of his comfort zone, as he isn't pushing the band members to leave theirs either. It's going round in circles.
Exactly, you said all the things I had wanted to say for a long time, just couldn't find the right words.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Livin' on a Post

That's it guys, after the circle, we be going round in circles.. and there ain't no way around it 😀
Old 09-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

It's kinda depressing to read this thread. So much truth can hurt indeed. Guess hardcore fans are the biggest dreamers in the world. No one can save this band if they themselves don't want it anyway!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:37 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
It's kinda depressing to read this thread. So much truth can hurt indeed. Guess hardcore fans are the biggest dreamers in the world. No one can save this band if they themselves don't want it anyway!
"Everyday it's the same when they say that it might be the end.
In the end - when it ends - then I'll listen to them..."
Old 09-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Keep the Faith

I think the consensus amongst the hardcore support is Shanks has indeed done as much as anyone to bring about their seeming demise. He's safe though, having latched onto Jon and got his claws in so deep he'll soon be confirmed as an official member no doubt. At that point I'm out.

I so wish Jon could realise the negative effect his friendship with Shanks has had. He genuinely risks alienating his loyal fans, those who would otherwise had been there far longer than the type he still hunts with chart success.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
It's kinda depressing to read this thread. So much truth can hurt indeed. Guess hardcore fans are the biggest dreamers in the world.

If someone has to be depressed is JBJ.
Hopefully he'll care but I don't know because sometimes he's kind the devil LOL and as you said we're the biggest dreamers in the world...
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Jovi FANatic

nice topic and almost every post is right on topic, interesting analysies.
Shanks needs to go. As simple as that imo. they need new blood. Rick Rubin...maybe the biggest producer ever in modern music or a freud for others..he took johnys cash career and helped him release quality material when he was almost forgotten.
Jon needs to get the band together and surround them with a new guy who would respect their legacy, realise their strengths and produce them with a certain vision. Shanks is full of himself and his approach is more copying trends than following a path. His anwser to sth like this would be i am doing what the artist wants me to BUT a great producer must say NO sometimes, its obvious Shanks undermined Richies role imo...(Richie may have dissapointed many of us but imho remains a major talent), to be a harsh here...(jons unfair analogy) if shanks was producing u2 would he play the guitar parts??? he wouldnt dare...
( u2s one riff was found by the producer as was the intro texture of beautiful day along with many others...) still he should utilise Richies input and not try to replace the guy. i am not saying it was a part of a big masterplan just that he didnt value the chemistry of a great band and thought it was just jons name and voice...
Jon needs to change...I trul believe Jon is a brave guy..when u r on the spotlight u ll make mistakes but a guy in his 50s with 4 children, money fame etc who goes sky diving shows a lot to me...he ll figure it out. maybe not in the next album but he will.

ps. has anyone notice the new band for the acoustic events??? how much better are these 2 new guys than bobby or phil x who participated in the past?