Home Register Members FAQ

Coldplay - Montreal August 3rd - Review

Other Bands

Old 08-04-2005, 04:17 PM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to ponrauil
Default Coldplay - Montreal August 3rd - Review

Hi all,

Here's a short review of the show I went to yesterday.
I got my tickets late so we weren't in the best seats (high on the right side facing the stage) for seeing the guys, but for the light show it was perfect.
And I must say, before talking about the music itself, this band has the best light show you can get these days, worked out for each and every song, fitting them perfectly.

Coldplay hit the stage after Canadian band Black Mountain came close to leaving everyone indifferent. Their music (Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance influenced) seems good but their sound was awful.

Coldplay then had to get the crowd impatient to rise the tension up gain. They finally came out and kicked off with Square one and Politiks, very efficient, but then had a technical problem with Chris Martin's guitar and had to restart Yellow twice before it sounded fine, and it did, with huge yellow ballons bouncing all over the crowd.
They then played a mix of new songs from X&Y and classics - Speed of Sound, God put a smile upon your face up to The Scientist (great participation from the crowd) - which got everyone well in the show.
During a black out they promptly installer a close up set on the half-circle front of the stage and played Don't Panic and 'til Kingdom Come before going back to the "normal" set.
The climax was reached with Clocks... But then they brought it down with Talk and left stage for the 1st time after only 70 minutes...
They did come back for a great encore with Swalowed in the Sea, In My Place and Fix You (my new favorite from them since that time I listened to it with my baby girl falling asleep on my chest) who were brilliant all 3 but then they left for good.

So overall a great show but way to short for a 3 album catalog band. They could easily have added 4 or 5 songs to make this set perfect. (What about Trouble, Sparks...?)

Chris Martin is a great frontman with a nice attitude, very respectful of his audience, he spoke French as much and as well as he could, and put on the local Hockey Team shirt. I know he probably does such things at each concert but it still shows that he tries to make it special everynight.
The rest of the band was also fine, I really like that drummer's style.

Here's the set list :

Square One
Politik
Yellow
God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
Speed of Sound
Low
The Hardest Part
Everything's Not Lost
White Shadows
The Scientist
Don't Panic
'Til Kingdom Come
Clocks
Talk
----
Swallowed in the Sea
In My Place
Fix You

Ponrauil

Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Last Man Standing

Default Re: Coldplay - Montreal August 3rd - Review

Nice review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponrauil
Fix You (my new favorite from them since that time I listened to it with my baby girl falling asleep on my chest)
Very cute . Saw the first play of the video for fix you (i think someone said it was filmed at Bolton) and the ending with the crowd singing along sounded amazing. Def one act il be getting tickets for next time they tour and I do hope they carry on playing the bigger venues.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman
Default Re: Coldplay - Montreal August 3rd - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotica80
Saw the first play of the video for fix you (i think someone said it was filmed at Bolton) and the ending with the crowd singing along sounded amazing.
Yeah, I was there awesome atmosphere during that song, it really was. Not to sure about what they've done with the video though. Could have easily shown the whole performance and left the start out. What's the deal with walking through London then ending up in Bolton? :P

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the show. I missed Trouble and Shiver, but it can't be helped. Would've liked to have heard Swallowed by the Sea. How did that one go down?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM
This Post Feels Right

Thanks for the review Aure.

I too haven't bought any tickets but am now regretting it. The only tix I see popping up from private resale are 'not so good' seats and I want to take my son, so I wasn't sure if I should do the upper row. Anyway, since he is more interested in the lightshow than Chris Martin, I think I'll go for it, provided I get tix for face value

8/16 it is.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now