Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Official November 26 Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Hopefully JBJ keeps We Don't Run and forget We got it going on before Keep The Faith!!!! please >_<
I agree with this! And I hope Amen has been permanently dropped!

Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 PM
These Days

A little sad to see that Jon is back to being glued at his mic stand. During the spring shows in North America it was great to see that he really found back to being a front man and and working the stage. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really uncomfortable to watch those clips. I understand his singing voice is gone and can accept it, but Jon seems to suffer on stage and doesn't seem to enjoy himself at all. It's so obvious he knows his voice is shit.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
A little sad to see that Jon is back to being glued at his mic stand. During the spring shows in North America it was great to see that he really found back to being a front man and and working the stage. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really uncomfortable to watch those clips. I understand his singing voice is gone and can accept it, but Jon seems to suffer on stage and doesn't seem to enjoy himself at all. It's so obvious he knows his voice is shit.
And the question, why does he suddenly always brag about how great he sounds nowadays - as it's more than clear that he knows he doesn't?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
And the question, why does he suddenly always brag about how great he sounds nowadays - as it's more than clear that he knows he doesn't?
Other than that one comment in the Facebook Q&A where he said "and I'm feeling great vocally", I don't recall him always talking about it.

That being said - I think that's about the level Jon can reach these days. It's been like that since his depression and whatever is holding him back, may it be physical or metal issues, seems to be permanent by now. It hasn't really changed since 2015 and it won't really change much for the reminder of their career. Sure it can vary by maybe 5 to 10 percent on a nightly basis, but that's just normal fluctuation. People thinking his range has suddenly improved etc because of the odd high note here and there need to realize that. He can do more as a frontman, the US tour this spring was way better in terms of that. But vocally, that's about what we'll get in the future.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Other than that one comment in the Facebook Q&A where he said "and I'm feeling great vocally", I don't recall him always talking about it.

That being said - I think that's about the level Jon can reach these days. It's been like that since his depression and whatever is holding him back, may it be physical or metal issues, seems to be permanent by now. It hasn't really changed since 2015 and it won't really change much for the reminder of their career. Sure it can vary by maybe 5 to 10 percent on a nightly basis, but that's just normal fluctuation. People thinking his range has suddenly improved etc because of the odd high note here and there need to realize that. He can do more as a frontman, the US tour this spring was way better in terms of that. But vocally, that's about what we'll get in the future.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
He said in the Stephen Colbert show last spring that "he's in really good shape vocally these days" and just a couple of weeks ago he said on some interview that he's "singing great". I think his standards are way below ours by now... maybe this really is a great level for him, considering the abysmal starting point? After all, he HAS improved a lot since 2015 (remember those Asian shows?).

EDIT: Plus, in the promotional text of the European tour next year (probably at least based on Jon's ideas) one of the key lines is "we're sounding better than ever"... yeah right

Last edited by BJFan99; 11-26-2018 at 06:03 PM..
Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Jovi Freak

yeah, he said that last month on an interview for Australia
he said: "I'm in great health, I'm singing great!"
then they were talking about hit high notes
and JBJ said:
"Absolutely! Yeeeah!
It's hard work!" (with a big smile in his face)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Dry County

Yeah, he has been bragging about that a lot, including "the new, better me" or something along those lines. I don't see how it's better, sorry. It's acceptable maybe, but most certainly not better than ever before.

And yeah, strange that he's not moving, though probably same cause and effect as to why he's not playing his acoustic. In an ideal world, I'd have him playing that, bouncing around the stage and hitting every note, but if I had to chose one of that, it'd probably be the latter, I don't know...

And considering his range: I don't think range is the problem (listen to the sing-alongs during Prayer, and the other aforementioned places). It's either breathing-related, psychological (godd*mn it, Jon, get rid of that hand-opening gesture after every semi-hard line you've just delivered as if you're life is depending on it) or whatever. The range is different in that his voice has lowered quite a bit so that he can't sing several notes as he's used to, but he obviously has (learned) technique to hit quite the high notes. And I do believe he's getting better at mixing the different techniques he's learned. Let's just hope it's sustainable and not getting worse every show...
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Jovi FANatic

What someone says in an interview and how he really feels might be two different things. If he feels more comfortable it might be enough for him to say so. That being said: it is hardly his fault that his voice isn't what it used to be
i dont know any band that has fans focused on the singer's voice that much. There are more factors leading to a good concert. I rather have somebody not torturing himself and sounding bad than having somebody being uncomfortable and hitting difficult notes. Jon is not on stage to please me, As long as they are putting in some effort, I am good!
Old 11-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Dry County

Call me crazy, but I think Jon may have had a vocal cord surgery around early 2016 that simply didn't turn out too well. He still had his tone and (low/mid-range) pitch control in 2014-15, wasn't cracking nearly as much as nowadays, and so on. Nowadays his ability to stay in tune and follow the melodies has declined so much that at times it's hard to believe he once was a great singer. He doesn't only struggle with the high notes (which actually seem easier for him than the lower ones, as hard as it is to understand), but his whole voice has become hoarse, monotonous and toneless. It simply doesn't resonate anymore.

Jon no longer sounds like himself. Hell, he can't even shout while speaking anymore.

Last edited by BJFan99; 11-29-2018 at 10:44 PM..
Old 11-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post

That was truly horrendous. A shambles.

Jon sounds terrible. I hate the way Phil plays the solo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk