Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Why did they drop Nothing

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Jovi Addict

... I think nowadays they play it safe!..With the earlier albums it was "This is us, this is what we do, hope you like it" now it's more "Which songs will appeal most to the mass market...the diehards will buy it anyway!"

Old 12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy miller View Post
... I think nowadays they play it safe!..With the earlier albums it was "This is us, this is what we do, hope you like it" now it's more "Which songs will appeal most to the mass market...the diehards will buy it anyway!"
What was the name of the band that opened at Milton Keynes? Remember one of those guys posted here and he said he asked Jon about Nothing and Jon's response was he just wasn't "feeling" the song.

deb
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Jovi Addict

...mmmm can't remember Deb!...I do remember the singer blocking some of my view of the show though! ....
Ok so if Jon chooses tracks on feelings or lack of each time that's a good thing...but someone needs to hit the overide button now and then!...he's admitted in the past that he's rubbish at picking the songs for the CD's
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Tokyo Road

I agree with Matt that probably at least partly it's because it's too similar to I Am ... I also agree that it's a bloody good song, and definetly should have made the album ... over I Am if needs be!

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy miller View Post
...mmmm can't remember Deb!...I do remember the singer blocking some of my view of the show though! ....
Ok so if Jon chooses tracks on feelings or lack of each time that's a good thing...but someone needs to hit the overide button now and then!...he's admitted in the past that he's rubbish at picking the songs for the CD's
Oh yea, I agree with you. I know when Jon was asked about Unbreakable at the WPLJ Up Close and Personal concert back in Oct. 2005, he said, that is just didn't see that song standing the test of time and wanting to perform it over and over.

deb
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to Emil

I think another reason might be that the demoes and non album-tracks maybe seem more raw, real and honest to people. You know, everything doesn´t sound like it needs to be hit, Jon´s vocal are based more on emotion than singing technique and every second isn´t produced to perfection.. I sometimes think that the old material has more of a real feeling to it, can´t really explain why. But like someone here said, the band went more their own way back then and didn´t care that much about what was getting played on the radio.
So I think that might be something about the demoes and non album-tracks that appeal at least the old school Bon Jovi-fans.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
I think another reason might be that the demoes and non album-tracks maybe seem more raw, real and honest to people. You know, everything doesn´t sound like it needs to be hit, Jon´s vocal are based more on emotion than singing technique and every second isn´t produced to perfection.. I sometimes think that the old material has more of a real feeling to it, can´t really explain why. But like someone here said, the band went more their own way back then and didn´t care that much about what was getting played on the radio.
So I think that might be something about the demoes and non album-tracks that appeal at least the old school Bon Jovi-fans.

Absolutely. This may sound like a bit of a cliché, but I think many of ther older songs are simply more rock 'n' roll...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Keep the Faith

I haven't heard this track? But I agree that Jovi do tend to select the wrong songs occassionally, how on earth Dirty Little Secret didn't make HAND still baffles me. Postcards From The Wasteland is also a nice tune which failed to make Bounce.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Suddenly

Could someone tell me what album and version this song is from, I have US, Japan, and UK HAND's and know nothing of this song. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickamania View Post
Could someone tell me what album and version this song is from, I have US, Japan, and UK HAND's and know nothing of this song. Thanks.
it didnt make it to any album in any country. it was originally going to be on the have a nice day album, but was put in the scrap heap which is a huge waste!!

This youtube link is a video someone made with nothing as the background music! great song! enjoy!!

Ali.

Ali.

Tags
nothing (song)