Home Register Members FAQ

David Gilmour in NYC - Review

Other Bands

Old 04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen
Default David Gilmour in NYC - Review

As many of you know - I don't usually gush about concerts. So before I even start let me say OMG what a ****ing awesome concert OK - Now that that is out of the way I can write a review.

The show was at the gorgeous art deco Radio City Music Hall, one of the most beautiful of New York's music venues. I decided not to try to tape this one since the last two times I was there the security was insane. However, last night the security was no worse than any other concert and I have been kicking myself since for not bringing my rig. Fortunately, a lot of dedicated Pink Floyd lovers did tape it so it's not a total loss.

The first part of the concert David played his entire new album - cover to cover. For those of you who don't know the album, David Crosby and Graham Nash sing backup on several songs. Imagine the first surprise of the evening when both Crosby and Nash came out to sing with Gilmour. The sound was superb as was the harmony. The crowd was very appreciative, if a little bit quiet. It was probably a case of the first time blues LOL.

The second part of the concert - after a short break was a Pink Floyd concert at it's finest - complete with a laser light show. I had been reading reviews of the European tour preceding this one and nobody ever mentioned the light show? A bit of history about their light show is that Pink Floyd never sold their music with their faces. They were never up on big video screens at a concert and they never were on the cover of an album. To compensate they treated their audience to the most fantastic laser light show on earth while playing their own music. I had not expected Gilmour to do this at Radio City last night and I was completely blown away. There wasn't a video screen in sight - the focus was on the music played along with laser lights.

Gilmour had Crosby and Nash sing backup for some of the most famous of Pink Floyd songs which turned them into something very different but beautiful. And at the end of the concert Crosby and Nash sang one of their own songs along with Gilmour - a cappella. It was an absolutely spine chilling moment.

I have to mention the level of the guitar playing - this man is a guitar god. No he doesn't play fast or shred but my god, the tone and sustain that he gets gives me chills. His slide guitar is absolutely pitch perfect.

Then the setlist - as I said, part 1 was the entire new album. Part 2 played things that haven't been heard live in so many years. Echoes - the entire 25 minute extravaganza was played in it's entirety - something I had never heard live. It's a pre Dark Side of the Moon track.

David Gilmour never had a great voice but it was always pleasing and did the job for the type of music he played. In some ways it has actually improved over the years - it has gotten a bit stronger and lower - and he sounded wonderful.

The band with him was tight and incredible. Some of the people Jon Carin and Gary Pratt have been with David since 1988 and the "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" album. Richard Wright, a founding member of Pink Floyd is still playing keyboards and singing and Dick Perry another original member is still playing the saxophone at 74. It was obvious that there was an ease and a familiarity among the players - some of the music appears to be improvised - but it is actually calculated down to the last measure. (I was counting LOL)

If there is anyone in other parts of the country that was considering getting tickets I would certainly recommend it.

I will close with an observation. Do only males go to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd concerts? Last night I was able to go to the bathroom and NOT have to stand in line. Yet the guys sitting next to me were complaining that they had to stand in line to get in the men’s room. I just laughed and told them "welcome to my world - usually". When I have gone to Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin concerts in general the same thing has happened. Last time Page and Plant were here was 1998 and I remember waiting outside the men’s room for what seems like ages for my husband and sons. The situation is usually reversed and I didn't think much of it then but last night it was really noticeable. Maybe they just drink more beer at these things LOL.

I'll close with the setlist:

Set One:
01 Castellorizon
02 This Heaven
03 Smile
04 Red Sky at Night
05 Take a Breath
06 Then I Close My Eyes
07 On An Island*
08 The Blue*
09 A Pocketful of Stones
10 Where We Start
Set Two:
11 Shine on You Crazy Diamond*
12 Wearing the Inside Out***
13 Dominoes
14 Fat Old Sun
15 Breathe
16 Time
17 Breathe (Reprise)
18 High Hopes
19 Echoes

Encores:
20 Wish You Were Here
21 Find the Cost of Freedom#
22 Comfortably Numb

*with David Crosby and Graham Nash vocals
#Crosby, Nash & Gilmour a cappella
*** sung by Richard Wright

A final thought - Arash if you are reading this - I was thinking of you last night. You would have loved it.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:24 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen

The second part of the concert - after a short break was a Pink Floyd concert at it's finest - complete with a laser light show. I had been reading reviews of the European tour preceding this one and nobody ever mentioned the light show? A bit of history about their light show is that Pink Floyd never sold their music with their faces. They were never up on big video screens at a concert and they never were on the cover of an album. To compensate they treated their audience to the most fantastic laser light show on earth while playing their own music. I had not expected Gilmour to do this at Radio City last night and I was completely blown away. There wasn't a video screen in sight - the focus was on the music played along with laser lights.
I did not know this. I saw The Australian Pink Floyd Show - a tribute band and that is how they played - it was all about the music and the light show. We never got to see their faces - the stage was kept pretty dark. I thought it was because they were 'merely' a cover band, but now all of this makes a lot more sense. I bet that is what a Pink Floyd show would have been like.

Quote:
If there is anyone in other parts of the country that was considering getting tickets I would certainly recommend it.
Yes, me!! I'll definitely get tickets!!

Thanks for that great review - getting excited just thinking about it.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Wow Kathleen....it sounds like David really came through with class! I wished I had been there. The tickets went on sale for the LA dates so quickly I wasn't prepared. It's not good timing for me either.

Maybe he'll have this tour filmed...the set list looks great too....I had figured it would mostly be Pink Floyd greatest hits...but that's not the case.

How is the album anyway? I saw the review in this thread and it was dismissed.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:05 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkywho
I did not know this. I saw The Australian Pink Floyd Show - a tribute band and that is how they played - it was all about the music and the light show. We never got to see their faces - the stage was kept pretty dark. I thought it was because they were 'merely' a cover band, but now all of this makes a lot more sense. I bet that is what a Pink Floyd show would have been like.
I read an interview with Gilmour during the 94 Pink Floyd tour where he said that they could continue doing this until they are 70 since the audience had no idea what they look like. He is the one who said - We never sold our music with our faces" which is an odd quote for a rock star. Though it could be argued (and it is) that they don't play rock at all - but I won't go there LOL. I think they play beautiful music and I don't really care what it's labeled.

And David - I think class is a good word to apply to Gilmour all around. He is what he is - almost bald, grey haired, slightly chubby and 63 years old. But when the man behind the guitar plays it like he does - who gives a shit about his age. I can only hope for an official DVD. I do know someone who filmed it - but he has been busted a few times and he says he is not releasing it to anybody. My job is to change his mind.

As for the new album - really only one person trashed it here. That's probably what you read. I posted the following in the "Post the last album you bought" thread. I'll copy it here:

I love it - David's guitar is very much on display here. Remember, he is not known for being a shredder - he plays gorgeous, legato guitar. This album may be on the quiet side but is obviously a labor of love - it's beautiful. His voice is in great shape and Crosby and Nash's vocals on the title track just add layers to what is already a good track.

It's not even remotely a "rock" album but then neither is most Pink Floyd - and this album sounds very much like Pink Floyd's best.

One thing I was struck by last night was the fact that the new album sounds so much like Pink Floyd. It's just that the audience knows the "old" stuff but doesn't yet really know the "new" stuff so the new stuff gets dismissed as crap.

Kathleen

Old 04-06-2006, 04:00 AM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to ponrauil

I've never been that jealous in my life.

Thanks for the review Kathleen, made me almost hear and see it and shiver...

Ponrauil
Old 04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
I read an interview with Gilmour during the 94 Pink Floyd tour where he said that they could continue doing this until they are 70 since the audience had no idea what they look like. He is the one who said - We never sold our music with our faces" which is an odd quote for a rock star. Though it could be argued (and it is) that they don't play rock at all - but I won't go there LOL. I think they play beautiful music and I don't really care what it's labeled.

And David - I think class is a good word to apply to Gilmour all around. He is what he is - almost bald, grey haired, slightly chubby and 63 years old. But when the man behind the guitar plays it like he does - who gives a shit about his age. I can only hope for an official DVD. I do know someone who filmed it - but he has been busted a few times and he says he is not releasing it to anybody. My job is to change his mind.

As for the new album - really only one person trashed it here. That's probably what you read. I posted the following in the "Post the last album you bought" thread. I'll copy it here:

I love it - David's guitar is very much on display here. Remember, he is not known for being a shredder - he plays gorgeous, legato guitar. This album may be on the quiet side but is obviously a labor of love - it's beautiful. His voice is in great shape and Crosby and Nash's vocals on the title track just add layers to what is already a good track.

It's not even remotely a "rock" album but then neither is most Pink Floyd - and this album sounds very much like Pink Floyd's best.

One thing I was struck by last night was the fact that the new album sounds so much like Pink Floyd. It's just that the audience knows the "old" stuff but doesn't yet really know the "new" stuff so the new stuff gets dismissed as crap.

Kathleen
As long as it is honest and not trying to be what people expect it to be. I will be sure to give it a shot when I can. The tour is definatetly out though.

I definately do not have "rock" expectations when it comes to Floyd, Gilmour, or Waters. I expect advanced edgy compositions that beg definition. Pink Floyd is one band I will probably never outgrow and never be embarassed to play full blast...no matter what age I am, precisely because of the type of artistry that goes into their work.

Did you happen to see Roger Waters on the In The Flesh tour? Well to be honest, I am not sure that was the name of the tour, but I am referring to the tour that was filmed for DVD. I don't pay much attention to his solo work. But I picked up the DVD of the show. I have slowly come to appreciate it more and more. At first...I was like "how can he top what the rest of the guys did on the Division Bell tour?" But that was an unrealistic expectation. It couldn't be about bettering in that same vein...it had to take a different route. That's what was done here. It's minimalist while being advanced at the same time with background projection. I've only recently started really paying attention to what is going on with that screen in the background. I was wondering how that screen came off if you were actually there.

I thought the performance of "Another Brick Pt II" was ass, the kind normal folk don't like. The song was always designed to be commercial.....and for Pink Floyd..even commercial is done with class. The performance of this same song by the other guys on the Division Bell tour was without question..the most bad ass, the kind we salivate over, performance of that song I've ever heard. They truly delivered it to justice. Roger's version on this DVD, however....does the exact opposite...absolutely no class with the big chorus crowd sing-along approach.....going as far as repeating that damn chant a 3rd time as an outro. I love "The Happiest Days..," but the fact it has to be attached to the horrid gagfest it segues into kills what is otherwise a rousing performance. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the opening performance of "In The Flesh" other than the show goes downhill so quickly and early on after that.

Thankfully, what is probably now my favorite version of "Mother",,, doing to that song what the other 3 guys did to "Another Brick...," is what followed. The show doesn't do that horrible dip again..though Comfortably Numb didn't do anything for me either from this show. I liked Jon Carin's handling of "Dogs" quite a bit.

I have yet to pick up David's live acoustic DVD.....but I'm going to have to put that on my list along with finally picking up Live at Pompeii.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

that sounds fantastic. i saw some big names advertised for there in the coming weeks, it seems like quite a venue. glad you enjoyed it, shame i wasn't in town for another couple of days.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
These Days

woow kathleen, you know what? i was reading your review and i said to myself: "ok, a nice and decent gig like the one on his live dvd" but when i read ECHOES!!!! i was like "OMG! he played ECHOES!" believe me, you got me standing and shaking all over when i read that he played that! :P and Wearing the inside out! i think they never played it live, or maybe on some rare occasions, i might be wrong though. i think Dominoes is a Syd Barret solo song that he likes to play.

anyway, i really enjoyed readingyour review Kathleen, it was really nice, thanx for the thoughts for me, i wish i could be there too.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Dominoes is a Syd Barrett song. He introduced it that way. Have you noticed that he always seems to include a Barrett song?

And - in addition to Echoes - at some of the European gigs he played Wot's ... Uh The Deal from Obscured by Clouds. I wish he had played that here too but I was a very happy person that night.

**edit** I just found out that on night 2 they did play Wot's the Deal and Coming Back to Life

Kathleen

Last edited by Kathleen; 04-06-2006 at 06:10 PM..
Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 AM
These Days

really? its really great that he's playing some the floyd's classiscs. i think Astronomy Domine will appear sometime too, they used to play it on the Division bell tour.

I never liked Coming back to life, i think it's one of the worst songs that he wrote for pink floyd after Waters Left the band.