21. In These Arms
22. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
23. Have A Nice Day
24. These Days
25. Blood On Blood
26. Livin' On A Prayer
27. I Love This Town
28. Always

The last time Bon Jovi played Dublin was June 30, 2011. The setlist contained 6 surprises. Bounce opened the show, Happy Now appeared fifth in the set, Blaze Of Glory was played, Damned and Hey God were played and Love's The Only Rule ended the show.

Considering the amount of critisism towards this show I figured why not start a separate topic about the show already?

I'm not saying Jon won't deliver that night, he's probably got a raging boner already from the idea that he'll be playing in Ireland again, but as for excitement from it's audience I'm not picking up on it anywhere. What follows now is quite a lot of text, but considering how I've been following this band for quite some time now (keep your "but you hate this band comments" to yourself please), I feel like this band is seriously adding one cluster**** to the next one.

Because to be honest, I've never seen such a massive outrage for a venue before. There's not a site on the interwebz where the decision to make Bon Jovi headline this show is heavily critisized. I know, the shows at the O2 got a lot of slack for the prices, but as a venue it was loved among pretty much everyone (finally some indoor shows in Europe again etc.). This show on the other hands gets flack from pretty much every corner apart from a few die hards here and there.

I think it's clear promoters are thinking they can use Bon Jovi as a test to see whether they can attract a different kind of audience to the venue as opposed to the more festival orientated crowds. The thing is though, I reckon the average European Bon Jovi fan is 30-40 years old nowadays, and not that interested in a muddy field with no proper exits and poor facilities. I really feel they're testing the water here with a different headliner, but the people seeing a show there every year will probably skip on this one, hence many people saying they won't sell it out, or won't sell well in general either.

I really don't get the logic behind this one. Money is obviously the driving factor for both Jon and the promoters, but considering the audience they're trying to cater, I really wonder what makes them think that this could work out? Jon will get his money anyway whether he'll sell it out or not, and if it doesn't sell out Bon Jovi will make the usual excuse by saying they limited the capacity to 30.000 yada yada SO IT SOLD OUT ANYWAY, but I really feel this is the beginning of the end for Bon Jovi as a popular touring act as every tour is surrounded by negative press everywhere. News reports are already making fun of the stats Bon Jovi include in their press release by saying "yeah that's nice dear, but you're a nostalgia act, not one that's supposed to be playing at Slane by delivering new music to a new generation). In general, no one seems to be excited about this one.

The prices are high (obviously) and considering how Bon Jovi didn't sell out the two shows at the RDS last time (total capacity roughly 75.000 people) I don't think they'll sell this one out either (total capacity 80.000 people), which would make this the first non sold out show at Slane Castle in years. What's everyone's expectations on this one? Jon's proudly presenting himself as the headliner of the show, but doesn't seem to realize that he's got nothing to be proud of right now.

What's everyone's expectations? A changed set catered at the average Slane visitor, meaning chockful of hits (And dire stuff Jon likes to play), or one that's catered a bit more towards the die hards?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 06-15-2013 at 11:57 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Price of posting

Do you mean 2013??
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Jovi Fan

Bon Jovi for Slane is definitely not the popular choice over here. It will be very tough for them to anyway near fill to capacity. Some decent support acts would go a long way towards helping them sell it though. Past gigs at Slane that I was at had up to six or more support acts with the first starting about 3pm-ish.

I think you are right about the promoters trying to attract a different audience. There was trouble over the summer at certain gigs that attract a young audience so I think they are playing it safe re getting planning permission by having a band like Bon Jovi play.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Previous acts such as Bryan Adams have sold out here. If he can, why not Bon Jovi. They have a huge die-hard following here, so maybe?

The press love to have a go and lets face it Bon Jovi are an easy target! I heard a good one today about how much did the clocks go back by on Saturday? 1987!

Set list wise, who knows? Im sure all the usual but if the night is going well maybe something special. Jon sure does love Ireland!

Dublin 1996/2000/2001/2003/2006/2008/2011*2/2019*2
Milton Keynes 2006 ~ San Sebastian 2011
Slane 2013 ~ Liverpool 2019 ~ Coventry 2019
Richie Sambora - London 2012 ~ Belfast 2014 ~ Dublin 2016
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Keep the Faith

While I don't have an answer to any of your questions above, I do aree with your points regarding Bon Jovi's target group. I agree that promoters are testing the waters with Bon Jovi, but I'm not sure if Jon has realized this or if his ego has gotten in the way of logical and rational thoughts here.

In addition, I expect them to sell out because I totally expect them to add a big co-headliner. And by that I mean not only for this particular gig, but for the entire leg of the European tour. Touring Europe every two years and playing the amount of shows Bon Jovi do (Madonna and U2, people from that same category, only tour half as regularly as BJ do and then rarely ever play as many shows per country) is simply overfloating the market. In addition, ticket prices overall appear to have gone up again (significantly more than your average inflation rate of 3-5 per cent) while Europe is on the verge of another economic recession. This has nothing to do with the band's decreasing polularity, but with tough economic circumstances. While the band's management has accounted for such issues in Canada (I'm pretty sure places like Toronto will get adidtional shows once they have tested demand via sales for the first shows), they have failed in this respect in Europe so far.

The only positive indicator in this respect is that they did not book the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff (capacity 74,000), but opted for the significantly smaller Cardiff City Stadium (capacity 26,000).
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

Slane will attract a good 20-30,000 people purely because it's Slane. It's an historic event and people use it as an excuse to go out and get drunk for the weekend. I doubt it will sell out totally but it'll be close enough. I just hope the stage and light show do the venue justice.

Also, I can't remember a time when the Irish media and snobby fans haven't cried over the headline act. Oasis, The Stereophonics etc were laughed off as unworthy acts to play.

Last edited by ticos_stick; 10-30-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Well, I'm planning on going
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Well, I'm planning on going
Me too. The band should be well up for this one.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

They moan about RDS not selling out..but that was over 2 days. Put both the 2 nights crowds together(yes I'm aware a good amount would have been to both) plus the estimated 15,000-20,000 Slane party revellers and people who just want to go see Bon Jovi in Ireland because they can and I think it would be pretty close to selling out.
Milton Keynes 1989*Milton Keynes 1996*Manchester 1998(Richie)*Stoke 2000*Manchester 2003*London 2003*Dusseldorf 2006*Manchester 2006*Milton Keynes 2006*London 2007*Manchester 2008*London 2010*London 2010*Edinburgh 2011*Manchester 2011*London 2011*Zeebrugge 2011*Lisbon 2011*Asbury Park, NJ 2012*Amsterdam 2012(Richie)*Shepherd's Bush 2012(Richie)*Manchester 2013*Birmingham 2013*Cologne 2013*Lisbon 2013*Milan 2013*London 2013
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budge View Post
They moan about RDS not selling out..but that was over 2 days. Put both the 2 nights crowds together(yes I'm aware a good amount would have been to both) plus the estimated 15,000-20,000 Slane party revellers and people who just want to go see Bon Jovi in Ireland because they can and I think it would be pretty close to selling out.
Plus, both RDS shows were mid week. Slane being on a Saturday is a big bonus. (It will take me till all hours Sunday morning to drive home from it!)

Dublin 1996/2000/2001/2003/2006/2008/2011*2/2019*2
Milton Keynes 2006 ~ San Sebastian 2011
Slane 2013 ~ Liverpool 2019 ~ Coventry 2019
Richie Sambora - London 2012 ~ Belfast 2014 ~ Dublin 2016
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Jovi Freak

The hipster kids and music press obviously hate Bon Jovi, nothing new here, hence the vocal minority creating the fuss online. There will be 60,000+ fans there on the night however that will think otherwise, and well numbers like that speak for themselves so I don't care what others moan about. I don't think that it will ''sell out'' in that they will get more than the 60K or so, but it *is* a saturday.. and Slane is a big day out here for many, especially as it usually has a great supporting bill. But then again the prices are a ripoff as the Irish fans get shafted as it is a standing venue and so none of these infamous 'cheap seats' available.

I am actually going to wait until support acts are announced before I 100% commit, as even though I am a huge fan, It is infact easier for me to go to a Manchester or a Glasgow, and tickets are cheaper too, plus transport, bars etc are more available

But yeah if Bryan Adams, RHCP, U2 etc can do it, what's so wrong with Bon Jovi? Its the same fuss every year about Slane here, just that this time you are more aware of it Seb as its Bon Jovi this time.

No conspiracy here Sebby boy, its not the end of the band, there isn't going to be a fan revolt, the world isn't going to end etc.

andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine