Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon doing Prayer live Jersey4Jersey

Tour Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 03:19 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Default Jon doing Prayer live Jersey4Jersey

No one started a thread about it - ok it was only one song but it's the closest you'll have to a 'tour' anytime soon.

Really, how good was that ? To me that IS the direction. Jon shouldn't be doing those full on massive electric tours - he clearly can't handle it, vocal-wise. He is, however, able to deliver very emotional performances when playing lo-key like this.

Tours should be short and should focus more on stripped down versions where Jon can actually still shine and deliver. Just my two cents.

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011

Old 04-27-2020, 09:02 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
Really, how good was that ?
Not very good.

Jon would never, ever be able to do a full show like this. His voice is toast near the end of the song. And "a massive electric tour" is a lot, lot more easier on his vocals than shows with stripped back, acoustic arrangements. He can't hide behind anything. No backing singers, no loud PA, no poor acoustics... Even if people would actually be willing to hear a full show like this, which they won't, Jon would sound horrible, surely these Runaway concerts have proved that by now.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 04-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Really, how good was that
Jon's performance wasn't that bad,vocalwise it's a slight improvement over some of the Prayer 94 performances during the Runaway Tours. His voice sounded a bit fuller and clearer because he wasn't cupping the microphone like he usually does during concerts.

His mid range does seem to be slowly returning,he wasn't shout singing as much like last years Runaway Tour performance of Prayer 94. Jon is midly improving,but only time will tell if he'll improve more. With the 2020 tour canned Jon can have a long break and rest his voice and if he is still working with a vocal coach he can keep working on his voice until all this Co-vid 19 stuff calms down and the band can finally get back on the road.

Last edited by musiccritic101; 04-27-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-27-2020, 03:04 PM
These Days

It still sounded bad. Being 5% better than a previous crappy performance still results in crap.

I'd still be just as embarrassed to show this performance to my family and friends (who all know me as a Bon Jovi fan) as I would with any other performance of him since 2014. To your average Joe who's not used to being tortured with bad singing as this board has been for the past 6 years, this counts as crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccritic101 View Post
Jon's performance wasn't that bad,vocalwise it's a slight improvement over some of the Prayer 94 performances during the Runaway Tours. His voice sounded a bit fuller and clearer because he wasn't cupping the microphone like he usually does during concerts.

His mid range does seem to be slowly returning,he wasn't shout singing as much like last years Runaway Tour performance of Prayer 94. Jon is midly improving,but only time will tell if he'll improve more. With the 2020 tour canned Jon can have a long break and rest his voice and if he is still working with a vocal coach he can keep working on his voice until all this Co-vid 19 stuff calms down and the band can finally get back on the road.
He had a lot of time off after the BWC tour to rest his voice and get it back in shape with a vocal coach. How did that go for him? Unfortunately, as Seb said, he is toast. His instrument is broken for good. Anyone trying to find improvements where they're not really there is living in a mild form of denial. These people will point out a moment in a song where for a couple of seconds he sounds OK or where there is a note hits that he didn't hit a year ago. That's not improvement, that's just being rested and able to go at 120% for a moment, potentially after multiple takes. Which by the way is still worse than his 120% in 2017, the same way that Jon's 120% in 3-5 years will be worse than him today.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
It still sounded bad. Being 5% better than a previous crappy performance still results in crap.

I'd still be just as embarrassed to show this performance to my family and friends (who all know me as a Bon Jovi fan) as I would with any other performance of him since 2014. To your average Joe who's not used to being tortured with bad singing as this board has been for the past 6 years, this counts as crap.

He had a lot of time off after the BWC tour to rest his voice and get it back in shape with a vocal coach. How did that go for him? Unfortunately, as Seb said, he is toast. His instrument is broken for good. Anyone trying to find improvements where they're not really there is living in a mild form of denial. These people will point out a moment in a song where for a couple of seconds he sounds OK or where there is a note hits that he didn't hit a year ago. That's not improvement, that's just being rested and able to go at 120% for a moment, potentially after multiple takes. Which by the way is still worse than his 120% in 2017, the same way that Jon's 120% in 3-5 years will be worse than him today.
I've been wondering about this for a long time - is vocal chord damage automatically unrepairable? If he has pulmonary/respiratory issues caused by smoking, then of course improvement of any kind is out of question, but if it's "only" his chords that are wrecked, why don't they recover? Are they damaged so severely that there's absolutely no way he'll ever be able to regain even a bit of their former functionality?
Old 04-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
I've been wondering about this for a long time - is vocal chord damage automatically unrepairable? If he has pulmonary/respiratory issues caused by smoking, then of course improvement of any kind is out of question, but if it's "only" his chords that are wrecked, why don't they recover? Are they damaged so severely that there's absolutely no way he'll ever be able to regain even a bit of their former functionality?
There's no straight answer to that tbh. There are surgery options available for singers with damaged vocal chords but the success rate is not great, and it can actually make matters worse. It's quite possible Jon has had such surgery already and that might explain the rapid decline in 2017.

That said, stopping smoking would almost certainly help with the breathlessness and would probably prevent his voice deteriorating much more.

With all his wealth I can not believe that Jon has looked at every option available to him. It must be heartbreaking for him to sound how he sounds.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:53 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
There's no straight answer to that tbh. There are surgery options available for singers with damaged vocal chords but the success rate is not great, and it can actually make matters worse. It's quite possible Jon has had such surgery already and that might explain the rapid decline in 2017.

That said, stopping smoking would almost certainly help with the breathlessness and would probably prevent his voice deteriorating much more.

With all his wealth I can not believe that Jon has looked at every option available to him. It must be heartbreaking for him to sound how he sounds.
Exactly, you can't give a universal answer to that, it's so much down to the individual state the vocal chords are in. In Jon's case, I think they're gone for good. He probably had vocal surgery at some point, since his clipping and hoarse tone set it somewhere in 2017 and Paul Stanley had the same change in voice after having admitted that he was undergoing surgery to "fix minor issues".

I do believe that Jon's now looked at every option available, but at the same time it's pretty much him who is to blame for sounding so bad. At the latest point, after the SWW tour, he should've realized that his instrument is quite fragile and that it needs to be taken special care of. Yet, from the mid#90's onwards, he's treated it like shit. Smoking like a maniac at times, never learning to sustain a proper technique etc.
If you keep rambling about legacy, a career, longevity and don't make sure that you're voice is treated well, it's stupid...
Old 04-28-2020, 04:07 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
No one started a thread about it - ok it was only one song but it's the closest you'll have to a 'tour' anytime soon.

Really, how good was that ? To me that IS the direction. Jon shouldn't be doing those full on massive electric tours - he clearly can't handle it, vocal-wise. He is, however, able to deliver very emotional performances when playing lo-key like this.

Tours should be short and should focus more on stripped down versions where Jon can actually still shine and deliver. Just my two cents.
Totally agree, not many others do though.

Stripped down acoustic, adapting songs and vocals...classics in a TLFR style and new songs Stand Up Guy or Do what you can style 👏🏾👏🏾

Lot better than trying to bear Bad Medicine and more than half the set without yelling ‘Please God, stop’
Old 04-28-2020, 06:54 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Exactly, you can't give a universal answer to that, it's so much down to the individual state the vocal chords are in. In Jon's case, I think they're gone for good. He probably had vocal surgery at some point, since his clipping and hoarse tone set it somewhere in 2017 and Paul Stanley had the same change in voice after having admitted that he was undergoing surgery to "fix minor issues".

I do believe that Jon's now looked at every option available, but at the same time it's pretty much him who is to blame for sounding so bad. At the latest point, after the SWW tour, he should've realized that his instrument is quite fragile and that it needs to be taken special care of. Yet, from the mid#90's onwards, he's treated it like shit. Smoking like a maniac at times, never learning to sustain a proper technique etc.
If you keep rambling about legacy, a career, longevity and don't make sure that you're voice is treated well, it's stupid...
How do you know he smoked like a maniac? I know there was a period where a lot of publicity shots had him posing with a cig but that covered a relatively short period of time.

I personally think he’s in denial about his voice when you listen to some of his interviews. I also think the people around him are not honest with him about how he sounds.😒
Old 04-28-2020, 07:09 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever View Post
I personally think he’s in denial about his voice when you listen to some of his interviews. I also think the people around him are not honest with him about how he sounds.😒
I doubt he is any denial about how he sounds privately, but he's not going to on tv or radio and say how shot his voice is - he has albums and tours to sell.

As for the people around him - what benefit would it be for them to even bring it up, unless it's the elephant in the room and hasn't ever been addressed.