Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Your opinion on a Walls sounding album.

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 PM
WhamATC

Default Your opinion on a Walls sounding album.

What would you think about an album with songs that have a Walls (that new song) sound to it if Bon Jovi did one.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:47 PM
Keep the Faith

I won't really like it since I'm not a big fan of the song itself.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:52 PM
WhamATC

I would definitely not like a WWWU (I like the song) sounding album though.

I think a Walls one would be good.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Keep the Faith

I think the best album album they can make with Jon sounding good on it would be a mix of THINFS and Burning Bridges mix of albums.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Price of posting

The problem with this sound is that it is the same as WDR, No Apollogies and This is Love This is Life and some similar songs from What About Now (Pictures of You - With These Two Hands example). It's something we've really already heard, and all they have a basic problem, there are no guitars playing, only effects and drums.

An album with guitars playing, the stronger the better, that would definitely be a new sound for them now, when was the last time they made a song with great riffs and good solos? make something more organic, that would be fine. Forget Fall Out Boy and pay attention to Foo Fighters.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 03-17-2018 at 11:50 PM..
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 PM
Keep the Faith

True. Bon Jovi need to be a guitar heavy band again. I feel like John Shanks writes most of the guitars parts these days. Phil X is such a great guitarist, he's criminally underused by the band. Jon has to let Phil writes all the guitar parts and the songs will already be better because of that. And after that, the production needs to be changed. As Rolo said, it needs to be more organic. The band needs to write songs from their heart, not the same old sh*t we get.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Something for the Posts

No thanks. There's already several pop artists out there making albums in the style. How about they make an album in the style of the band Bon Jovi!?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM
WhamATC

Didnt realize that.
Havent listened to whole song of Walls.

HAND song sounding album could be good for nowadays.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:45 PM
These Days

Walls sounds shit.

It's the musical equivalent of your father who tries to be cool with your friends, but comes across as awkward with his dad jokes. I'm not crapping on this modern direction in general, but for it to succeed, the execution really matters. IMO, the only time they succeeded and it sounded pretty cool was We Don't Run. Other attempts (Walls, Born Again Tomorrow, Knockout) felt uninspired. I don't crap on Shanks as much as most people here, but he is a modern rock procuder, not EDM-pop. They should work with guys like Max Martin, Shellback, Kygo, etc. who know what their doing in THIS field. I'd love to hear that Avicii song with Jon.

However, I also disagree that their next album should be heavy guitar-driven. Jon simply does not have a voice to carry a tune over loud guitars. These type of songs require powerful anthemic choruses and high notes. I think of a song like Bullet, where they tried that direction and IMO failed, even though Jon was still a competent singer back then.

I think Jon is best suited moving into singer-songwriter-storyteller direction. To some extent, he already has - most of Destination Anywhere album, Just Older, Right Side of Wrong, Who Says You Can't Go Home, (You Want To) Make A Memory, Whole Lot Of Leavin', Lost Highway, Superman Tonight, Living With The Ghost, I Will Drive You Home, Reunion. Some of these songs are better than others, but they're all are some kind of extensions of that style that I feel does not demand so much vocally, but can still be good if the writing is good enough and that's something that Jon has shown at times he's still capable.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Walls sounds shit.

It's the musical equivalent of your father who tries to be cool with your friends, but comes across as awkward with his dad jokes. I'm not crapping on this modern direction in general, but for it to succeed, the execution really matters. IMO, the only time they succeeded and it sounded pretty cool was We Don't Run. Other attempts (Walls, Born Again Tomorrow, Knockout) felt uninspired. I don't crap on Shanks as much as most people here, but he is a modern rock procuder, not EDM-pop. They should work with guys like Max Martin, Shellback, Kygo, etc. who know what their doing in THIS field. I'd love to hear that Avicii song with Jon.
Yeah, very well put. Ever since, let's say Bounce, they tried to emulate the then-current popular sound too much and stopped sounding like themselves more and more. Of course, they've always gone a bit with what was popular, but in earlier times they incorporated modern sounds and made it sound like Bon Jovi. They're just not at the age anymore to appeal to a young peer group. For us fans it's rather embarassing and it goes unnoticed by the ones they're trying to reach with the rip-off sounds anyway.
The last time they went with a then-current sound and got it to be somehow fresh and modern was the HAND single. After that it was more or less attempt and fail.