Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Rank these 5 albums

Other Bands

Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Just posting

Default Rank these 5 albums

So, 5 of the biggest bands of the 80's (and today in fact) releases new records in 2008:
Metallica, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses.

How would you rank them?

I'm leaving Metallica off of my list as I haven't listened, and have no interest in doing so, to Death Magnetic.

1.Chinese Democracy - GNR: Yes, it's over-produced, but most albums are these days. Really only 2 songs that didn't do it for me.

2.Saints of Los Angeles - Crue: Title track was killer. A few fillers on it, but all in all, some of the best stuff I've heard from them since 1989.

3.Black Ice - AC/DC: Typical AC/DC album. A couple of really good tracks though. If available on itunes, I'd probably just go after 3 or 4 songs.

4.Songs from the Sparkle Lounge - Def Leppard: Had a couple of OK songs. Go was damn good. The rest, eh. Some really bad lyrics and blatant Bon Jovi ripoffs.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Something for the Posts

Chinese Democracy - 3.5/5

Haven't heard any of the others. I'll probably buy Death Magnetic and Black Ice some time, but I don't like Def Lep or Motley Crue.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Tokyo Road

I'll answer this in about a months time, when I've had more time to digest Chinese Democracy, SOLA, and Death Magnetic (all of which I've only had for less than a couple of weeks). I don't have much interest in the AC/DC album though, I'm just going to assume that it's like an inferior Back In Black (which I think is an overrated album anyway) with a slightly more modern sound, and the single did nothing to dispel that belief

I do like Songs From The Sparkle Lounge a lot though

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Jovi Freak

Why do I feel like this topic is somewhat connected to the popular beliefs that "Bon Jovi whould go back to their old sound, look at all the success Motley Crue, AC/DC, Metallica, etc. are having" type thread that has been popping up from time to time?

To answer the question:

I haven't listened to any Def Leppard that wasn't produced in the 80s however my brother bought a few singles from "Sparkle Lounge" and I hated them. I couldn't get through "Nine Lives" with Time McGraw.

I think Death Magnetic is okay. It has a few tracks that I really like but after those few, some of them are ok but I get annoyed at the length of the songs. Some of them just seem to go on and on. I put it on the same level as Jovi's "Have a Nice Day" album in the sense that--It's an ok album, I was expecting more from the band but I'll take it given the amount of shitty pop music that's out there right now.

I have no interest in "Saints of Los Angeles" and I'm hoping that curiosity will make me go get "Chinese Democracy" but it hasn't happened yet. I still enjoy buying the actual ablums as opposed to downloading so I can't be bothered to spend my money that way at the moment on a CD I'm not crazy about. Maybe I will check my campus's used CD store.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
Why do I feel like this topic is somewhat connected to the popular beliefs that "Bon Jovi whould go back to their old sound, look at all the success Motley Crue, AC/DC, Metallica, etc. are having" type thread that has been popping up from time to time?
Not intentionally. I'm one of the few that was VERY happy with Have A Nice Day.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:

To answer the question:

I haven't listened to any Def Leppard that wasn't produced in the 80s however my brother bought a few singles from "Sparkle Lounge" and I hated them. I couldn't get through "Nine Lives" with Time McGraw.

I think Death Magnetic is okay. It has a few tracks that I really like but after those few, some of them are ok but I get annoyed at the length of the songs. Some of them just seem to go on and on. I put it on the same level as Jovi's "Have a Nice Day" album in the sense that--It's an ok album, I was expecting more from the band but I'll take it given the amount of shitty pop music that's out there right now.

I have no interest in "Saints of Los Angeles" and I'm hoping that curiosity will make me go get "Chinese Democracy" but it hasn't happened yet. I still enjoy buying the actual ablums as opposed to downloading so I can't be bothered to spend my money that way at the moment on a CD I'm not crazy about. Maybe I will check my campus's used CD store.
Nine Lives is probably the worst song on the album IMO. Songs like Go, Love, Cruise Control, Tomorrow and Gotta Let It Go are much better. If you did want to check the rest of the album out at all

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Nine Lives is probably the worst song on the album IMO. Songs like Go, Love, Cruise Control, Tomorrow and Gotta Let It Go are much better. If you did want to check the rest of the album out at all
Gotta Let It Go wouldn't be bad if it's chorus wasn't a note for note rip off of Have A Nice Day.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I might check them out. I'll have plenty of time to listen to music tomorrow.(it's our year to host Thanksgiving so I'll have plenty of time during prep)
Thanks for the suggesions but I can't prmoise anything since I haven't liked anything from them since their 80s stuff.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I was thinking about starting a similar threat myself, but I wasgona included Whitesnake's Good To be Bad album asell.

Chinese Democracy - Only got the CD on Monday and played it a few times, but I gotta say I'm impressed. After hearing some demos from 2006 I was very underwhelmed and not anticipating this album one bit. I always think outside of the box when it comes to albums like this or Death Magnetic in terms of anticipation, and honestly, I liked it. Yes, overproduced to hell and way too ballad heavy, but it's a very original sounding album and still has that classic G'n'R sound. And I love the industrial elements. So far, stand-out tracks are Better (though not totally blown away from the demo I hear 2 years ago), Chinese Democracy, There Was A Time and Sorry (Axel's high vocal bits in this song are ****ing awesome!)

Saints Of Los Angeles - Too me just sounds like Girls Girls Girls with a violent injection of Sick Love Song, but it's very good. Obviously after an 8 year gap, they can't be too risky. Some filler, yes, but it's better than what I was expecting. I'll certainly be going back to this one in years to come. Title track and The Animal In Me are the best.

Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Still haven't made my mind up about this album. It has some fantastic songs like Go, Tomorrow and Cruise Control, but the rest seemed either rip-offs of old Leppard songs like Armageddon It (which is one of my least faveourite Def Leppard "hits" anyway), or they just try to sound like T-Rex and Mott The Hoople too much. And it's too short, only around 35 minutes, which I find ironic when Joe Elliott complained that even though he's a Linkin Park fan, their albums are around this length. It's certainly rockier than X, but at least X sounded much more complete and more experimental. This will be amongst my least-listened-to Leppard albums.

Death Magnetic - The most OVERRATED album this year. It's not bad, but to me it's just plain boring. Even the semi-decent songs on there like Cyanide and Day That Never Comes are third rate versions of old songs. All my mates here think it's wonderful. Horrible production aswell.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
I might check them out. I'll have plenty of time to listen to music tomorrow.(it's our year to host Thanksgiving so I'll have plenty of time during prep)
Thanks for the suggesions but I can't prmoise anything since I haven't liked anything from them since their 80s stuff.
Not even Retro Active or Euphoria?

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.