Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes?

Other Bands

Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes?

Right, I'm watching some clips on YouTube of them covering some Stones songs etc and they sound great. Can anyone reccomend some albums or songs, maybe even boots that might help my explore their work a bit further than the odd cover? What kind of setlist do they usually play?

I actually almost went to see them a couple of years ago, but that plan fell through. I've heard good things about them, though, Oli's bigged them up to me recently (though he likes Phil Collins, so maybe that should be taken with a pinch of salt ) and I know Kathleen goes to see them a lot.

So, got any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Midnight on JoviTalk

I already told you - MESSIN' WITH THE BLUES.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Midnight on JoviTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
I've heard good things about them, though, Oli's bigged them up to me recently (though he likes Phil Collins, so maybe that should be taken with a pinch of salt )
PUH. I also love Bruce, who Southside is very closley associated to
Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Right, I'm watching some clips on YouTube of them covering some Stones songs etc and they sound great. Can anyone reccomend some albums or songs, maybe even boots that might help my explore their work a bit further than the odd cover? What kind of setlist do they usually play?

I actually almost went to see them a couple of years ago, but that plan fell through. I've heard good things about them, though, Oli's bigged them up to me recently (though he likes Phil Collins, so maybe that should be taken with a pinch of salt ) and I know Kathleen goes to see them a lot.

So, got any suggestions?
I'm sure Kathleen will chime in, too, but here's a little information to hold you until then.

Albums: Hearts of Stone and Better Days are the 2 I'd suggest for starters. FYI - Bruce wrote the song Hearts of Stone, and Jon & Bruce both help out on tracks on Better Days.

If you have a DIME account, go to http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-b...2Bjohnny&cat=0 and grab the 2 most recent BB King's shows (September and October) and the July show from the Stone Pony. I can help seed if need be.

If you go to the band's website - http://www.southsidejohnny.com/ - and click on Tour Dates, you'll see that they're currently in the UK. At the bottom of the tour date page is a link to the Show Archive which has set lists going back to 2002.

These are SSJ with Bruce from a show in 1978 in Cleveland:

This is SSJ with JBJ from 1991 at the Stone Pony:

This is SSJ, JBJ, Richie & Bobby B from a German TV show in 2001:

I've seen Southside with LaBamba's big band for the Grapefruit Moon show, and I saw most of the Jukes with JBJ at the fan club show, but I've yet to see Southside AND the Jukes. They just don't come to the American south. If I can find decent airfare for late January, I'm determined to go see them at BB King's in NYC.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:17 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Southside rocks - not just because of Bruce or Jon - he rocks plenty on his own.

Terri's suggestions are spot on if you want to check out older albums. I also happen to love Messin' With The Blues and the recent "From Southside to Tyneside" If you want to hear SSJ and Bobby acoustic - get Spittin Fire. There is awesome version of Bruce's Fade Away on that album too.

We are lucky here - I recently bought a 4 pack of concerts for Southside at BB Kings in New York for $100.00. You can't beat $25.00 a show and BB Kings makes an awesome Martini and will serve it to you on the floor - showside - also.

And this is how close you get to be to the show - right in front of the lead singer:

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to JerseyboyUK

I like them. I saw Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes last year at the Holmfirth Picturedrome and they were really good!
But they did go on a bit if i'm honest, the set length was near 3 hours if i remember correctly and it dragged a little in the middle.

still, i'd reccommend them.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:55 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK View Post
I like them. I saw Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes last year at the Holmfirth Picturedrome and they were really good!
But they did go on a bit if i'm honest, the set length was near 3 hours if i remember correctly and it dragged a little in the middle.

still, i'd reccommend them.
Haha, in going to see them on Thursday at the Holmfirth Picturedome!

I only have their greatest hits and I don't wanna go home but I'm still looking forward to becase of all the good things I've heard about then live! (never knew they played for 3 hours though!) anyway I'll post a review or summat after the gig
Old 11-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Southside rocks - not just because of Bruce or Jon - he rocks plenty on his own.
Egad! I didn't mean to imply that SSJ was only good because of collaborations with Bruce or JBJ, but my post certainly could be read that way. One of my main reasons for include that TV show from Germany was to show Southside's harmonica playing. He's terrific, but I forgot to mention that point when I wrote the post!

A video from a recent show in Germany -
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 AM
These Days

Wow, just got back from the gig! It was absolutely fantasticthe band sounded amazing, much better than on record anyway! Such a great gig and the band seemed in a really good mood! Even johnny who is suffering from gout at the momet so was hobbling all over the place!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometownboy View Post
Wow, just got back from the gig! It was absolutely fantasticthe band sounded amazing, much better than on record anyway! Such a great gig and the band seemed in a really good mood! Even johnny who is suffering from gout at the momet so was hobbling all over the place!
Honestly - the man doesn't know how to put on a bad show. Some are just better than others. I think this is the first thread that I have ever heard anyone complain about a 3 hour show LOL

You write your truth and I'll write mine.