Home Register Members FAQ

New Fan Club Package Updates

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 06-16-2021, 05:22 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Let's see, Richie put Come Back As Me and Engine 19 on YouTube, the latter co-written by Bernie Taupin.

I think Jon can release some demos from his last stage, I don't think it's a problem of rights, licenses and so on. I think Jon wants to reserve those unreleased songs for a future box set, the thing is, he promised never-before-heard tracks. I just wish this shitty subscription is over, and let's start a new cycle.
I don't think he cares about the box set and what's out there as much as you think he does.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:23 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
I think you are pinning too much on the box set. What reason is there for Jon to release a box set? There's no money in it and he is showing and has shown that he doesn't really do anything purely for the fans. I would be shocked if a new box set is released.
This. I'd love to see it but let's all get a bit realistic here. In 2021 who is the market for a new BJ Box Set. The 2004 sold okay but not gangbusters and that was what...3 years after the band's resurgence? If we're talking online? Sure, it has a better shot but that's also what the Experience could have been and they botched that.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:52 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Let's see, Richie put Come Back As Me and Engine 19 on YouTube, the latter co-written by Bernie Taupin.
Perfectly fine, as YouTube do pay royalties for streaming. Same as Spotify and iTunes and Amazon. That's not the same as it being part of a package like the Bon Jovi experience which people are paying premium prices for. There's nothing to stop Jon sharing stuff on there, as long as the royalties are paid and that is where the problem lies I expect. He doesn't want to pay....

Quote:
I think Jon can release some demos from his last stage, I don't think it's a problem of rights, licenses and so on. I think Jon wants to reserve those unreleased songs for a future box set, the thing is, he promised never-before-heard tracks. I just wish this shitty subscription is over, and let's start a new cycle.
You're right, the licencing deal with Universal will only include the album tracks, so he would be able to release demos and unreleased tracks from the last few years....BUT if they are co-writes, he will still need to pay royaties to the co-writers publishers...

Last edited by Thinny; 06-16-2021 at 05:56 PM..
Old 06-16-2021, 06:08 PM
This Post Feels Right

All the more baffling he can't just focus on the songs he wrote alone. The fact that he name dropped Halo is what confuses me. If it were a case of legalities and royalties he would....know that stuff by now, right?
Old 06-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
All the more baffling he can't just focus on the songs he wrote alone. The fact that he name dropped Halo is what confuses me. If it were a case of legalities and royalties he would....know that stuff by now, right?
You'd think so wouldn't you. But why no Halo after all these months still? I'd imagine his legal team would have had something to say about him giving away other people's work without paying them for it....why else the delay? Part of me does think that they were just arrogant enough to think that they could just do what they wanted, and then reality hit when it was too late...

If he was to just focus on the songs he wrote alone you'd wipe out 90% of the back catalogue though.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:40 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Jon has been in the business 40 years, for all intents and purposes managed the band for 30 years, and doesn't seem like a stupid guy. You would think he knows the legalities better than any of us on here. And just to back up any lack of knowledge on his part, he surely has access to leading lawyers.

This has to be more than putting together a package and then realizing "wait a minute, we cannot use any of this stuff". It is increasingly leaning to them just not caring enough and wanting to make a quick buck.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:44 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Jon has been in the business 40 years, for all intents and purposes managed the band for 30 years, and doesn't seem like a stupid guy. You would think he knows the legalities better than any of us on here. And just to back up any lack of knowledge on his part, he surely has access to leading lawyers.

This has to be more than putting together a package and then realizing "wait a minute, we cannot use any of this stuff". It is increasingly leaning to them just not caring enough and wanting to make a quick buck.
Yeah that's fair.

I think...Jon focussing on songs he wrote alone would wipe out some options, yeah, but it's options people don't even know exist. The rate the dude has written over the last 30ish years there's going to be enough songs he did before he decided to take it to another writer to work on with them. The fact that he can't even pull out one of those, I really don't get it. To think the dude doesn't have enough unreleased self-written songs for 12 months, 1 a month, I just don't buy it.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Yeah that's fair.

I think...Jon focussing on songs he wrote alone would wipe out some options, yeah, but it's options people don't even know exist. The rate the dude has written over the last 30ish years there's going to be enough songs he did before he decided to take it to another writer to work on with them. The fact that he can't even pull out one of those, I really don't get it. To think the dude doesn't have enough unreleased self-written songs for 12 months, 1 a month, I just don't buy it.
That's what I was about to throw in. Stuff like "Lost Boys" which he even mentioned in the Experience video by saying that this would be a good option to share (a few months in) would at least lead to the option of him sharing some solo-written demos. Of course I'd prefer full band recordings, but this is something that surely could be shared.

It so much feels like the essay of a student who promises to turn the world around in the introduction leading up to end, but ends up barely creeping through by the skin of his teeth by having done the absolut minimum requested in the end.

Might well be that they'd have to invest a few bucks to share some things, but then again, they probably had to so on the American XS service, on the bonus live tracks in the vault of 2010 and on the New Jersey demos in 2014. If we think back, it was Jon back then who restricted a great edition by not wanting to pay for restoration of some old live material.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
That's exactly what it is. Didn't Jon say something along the lines of creating the experience was to fill the void of not touring etc?

That's a red flag right there.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

@JayChapperz
Old 06-16-2021, 09:10 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Doesn't mean he spoke to the lawyers before they made the initial announcement...it did all seem very rushed. They are clearly making this up as they go along.

And I'm sure Jon knows the ins and outs of the business side, but does Matt? Isn't this partly his baby? Maybe Jon thought he had it all in hand...who knows.

Either way, it just seems like a complete lack of preperation and effort.