Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recommendations for a lost Bon Jovi fan?

Other Bands

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Default Recommendations for a lost Bon Jovi fan?

Hi guys,
This is my first post here and before I get to the point, let me just introduce myself. I'm 16 and got into Bon Jovi after seeing the HAND album cover across an entire aisle at a Virgin store on Oxford Street in London. I was about 11 at the time, hadn't heard of Prayer or Bad Name but the cover just got to me and I begged my mom to pick up the record. I've managed to catch up and love every single album prior and since HAND. I must admit, the band may not be upto scratch these days but they're still at the helm in my books.

Now to the actual question. I've really been struggling with finding new noise after GH, I love the POSITIVE arena rock vibes that Bon Jovi has been pumping out since the mid 80's however I have a preference to newer material, post HAND. I've been listening to Nickelback, Keith Urban, AC/DC, U2 amongst others but I can't seem to find another band with a similar sound. Can anyone advise me?

All input is appreciated

PS, if it helps..my favorite songs so far are along the lines of No Apologies, HAND, TILTIL, Brokenpromiseland, Love's the only rule, Superman, Story of my life, What do you got, fast cars, LH and Summertime.

Last edited by united17; 06-07-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
These Days

Welcome to the board! I hope you'll have fun here

I would advise a band called Train mostly. Not the same style, but their newest album has some similarities with Jovi, at least to me.

My Chemical Romance, Daughtry or All American Rejects are bands that have Bon Jovi as one of their inspirations, but none of them are really trying to write music similar to Jovi, just a few similar things that you wouldn't notice if you don't know about it (however, I kinda like MCR for a lot same reasons I love Jovi). McFly comes to my mind as well.

If you had prefered the 80s Jovi, I would've easily advised Journey, Aldo Nova and, obviously, Def Leppard, but as I see that's not the case.

I hope my post slightly helps you. It's nice to see a younger fan who actually likes the band's newer stuff as opposed to 80s or 90s. I really wish I could say that about myself as my favorite era is the one with the least amount of studio albums, LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Blaze of Posting

The All-American Rejects spring to mind.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Keep the Faith

If you want catchy anthemic rock with keyboards and guitar high on the agenda you really must listen to Brother Firetribe:Heart Full of Fire or Vega:Kiss of Life.
Youtube is your friend use it. Recomendations song wise from the above groups: BF: Wildest Dreams/Who Will You Run To/Heart Full Of Fire
Vega: Staring at the Sun/Hearts of Glass/One of a Kind.

Another group you might like are Matchbox 20 with the "More than you think you are" album. They supported BJ (christ, 10 years ago now!)

Last edited by dcj28; 06-07-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Thanks for the speedy responses! I just purchased 'Save Me San Francisco' by Train and 'More Than You Think You Are' by Matchbox 20. I really appreciate the recommendations
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by united17 View Post
Thanks for the speedy responses! I just purchased 'Save Me San Francisco' by Train and 'More Than You Think You Are' by Matchbox 20. I really appreciate the recommendations
i think you'd love my band

we're called The Toi

on soundcloud .......... www.soundcloud.com/the-toi

and facebook.

we kick arse live!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM
These Days

Quote:
Cool!
Whether you like these albums or not, say what you think of them
Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Livin' on a Post

I would suggest: Train, Taddy Porter, Blackfield, Porcupine tree, Collective soul, Hurt (their last album is mainstream rock, although the first too are metal and vastly superior)
Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambos apprentice View Post
i think you'd love my band

we're called The Toi

on soundcloud .......... www.soundcloud.com/the-toi

and facebook.

we kick arse live!
That's some great music! My favorite out of those is definitely Come Alive. Best of luck for the future, very promising material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Cool!
Whether you like these albums or not, say what you think of them
As for opinions, Train's 'Save Me San Francisco' has some brilliant choruses, especially in the namesake song and 'Parachute'. I really enjoy the positive vibes in 'If It's Love' and 'I Got You'.
Matchbox Twenty's 'More Than You Think You Are' has some great sounding guitars which resonate throughout the album and compliment the drums particularly in 'Feel' and 'You're So Real', great sounding modern arena rock.
Really enjoying my new tunes,
Thanks

Last edited by united17; 06-08-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Now to the actual question. I've really been struggling with finding new noise after GH, I love the POSITIVE arena rock vibes that Bon Jovi has been pumping out since the mid 80's however I have a preference to newer material, post HAND. I've been listening to Nickelback, Keith Urban, AC/DC, U2 amongst others but I can't seem to find another band with a similar sound. Can anyone advise me?

All input is appreciated

PS, if it helps..my favorite songs so far are along the lines of No Apologies, HAND, TILTIL, Brokenpromiseland, Love's the only rule, Superman, Story of my life, What do you got, fast cars, LH and Summertime.