Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Real Life: good or bad?

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidda View Post
Such a pity for David´s injury on his fingers because it put off "Sex Sells" more than one year, enough time for Bruce Fairbairn´s passing away, and ...
It´s not what I think, in fact I like many other Jovi songs more than this one, it´s just a fact that this is one of their 3 to 5 best songs in the last 15 years. A pity it was a song for a film and with Warner bhind...
This is not accurate and makes no sence what so ever....

Sex Sells was supposed to be Jon's third solo album and Dave's finger had nothing to do with any type of delay.

As its proven today with Richie and Tico, Jon doesn't delay anything. He'll get a fill in. Dave's finger kept him out of video so Jon replaced him a cardboard cut-out of himself.

The song is decent but it repeat "This Is Real" way too much.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Well it kept him out of the song recording too, not just the video. I agree though, a lot more went into the delaying of the album than his finger injury but I'm sure it had a part to do with it. I know he was supposed to play on Undiscovered Soul but couldn't.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Well it kept him out of the song recording too, not just the video. I agree though, a lot more went into the delaying of the album than his finger injury but I'm sure it had a part to do with it. I know he was supposed to play on Undiscovered Soul but couldn't.
Why would Jon use Dave for his solo album?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
This Post Feels Right

He DID use Dave for a song on his solo album . But Undiscovered Soul was Richie's album, not Jon's.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
He DID use Dave for a song on his solo album . But Undiscovered Soul was Richie's album, not Jon's.
This conversation is starting to get confusing

Sex Sells was supposed to be Jons third solo album.

Real Life was a song written for that album around that time. They did the song in 2 days before Jon left to film U571. That was the last song Bruce Fairbarin did with them before his passing. If there was a delay, it was because of that

We were just discussing the liner notes in DA. Check out all the musicians Jon knows who could play the keys.

Richies solo albums are mainly about him taking the lead so he'll use Bon Jovi members.

Jons are more about sound, so he uses outside musicians. Sex Sells was supposed to be a solo album so Dave would not be a factor. However, their producers passing would be.

Just out of curiosity, what solo song did Dave play on?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
This conversation is starting to get confusing

Sex Sells was supposed to be Jons third solo album.

Real Life was a song written for that album around that time. They did the song in 2 days before Jon left to film U571. That was the last song Bruce Fairbarin did with them before his passing. If there was a delay, it was because of that

We were just discussing the liner notes in DA. Check out all the musicians Jon knows who could play the keys.

Richies solo albums are mainly about him taking the lead so he'll use Bon Jovi members.

Jons are more about sound, so he uses outside musicians. Sex Sells was supposed to be a solo album so Dave would not be a factor. However, their producers passing would be.

Just out of curiosity, what solo song did Dave play on?
I think we're debating two different things, sorry. Dave played keys and accordion on Staring at your window. I'm not saying anything was delayed because of his injury, I'm saying he was slated to play on Undiscovered Soul. I truly don't think SS got delayed because of him but by the time of the injury and Real Life it had already morphed into a band record, right?

Does anyone remember when it happened? Late '98 I assume?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
This is not accurate and makes no sence what so ever....

Sex Sells was supposed to be Jon's third solo album and Dave's finger had nothing to do with any type of delay.

As its proven today with Richie and Tico, Jon doesn't delay anything. He'll get a fill in. Dave's finger kept him out of video so Jon replaced him a cardboard cut-out of himself.

The song is decent but it repeat "This Is Real" way too much.
By the time the album was going to be called Sex Sells it had already become a band album, it wasn't a solo record of Jon anymore. And yes, David not being able to play did delay the recording of the record, that and a few other factors. As for replacing; The Jon Bon Jovi of 1999/2000 would never replace David Bryan for anyone else, it's exactly what's wrong with the Jon Bon Jovi of today.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

By the time the album was going to be called Sex Sells it had already become a band album, it wasn't a solo record of Jon anymore. And yes, David not being able to play did delay the recording of the record, that and a few other factors. As for replacing; The Jon Bon Jovi of 1999/2000 would never replace David Bryan for anyone else, it's exactly what's wrong with the Jon Bon Jovi of today.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Its not Jon's choice, it's their record company. They pick the times. If it was that critical, Jon would have brought a guy into the studio to play Dave's parts.

When Dave cut his finger, he wrote Memphis. Richie was touring his solo album and Jon was filming U571.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
In addition, Dave cut his finger so bad that he needed physical therapy. No one knew initially when he would actually be able to play again. It could have taken 5 years. Do you think Jon and the record company would have waited five years? They would have gotten a replacement, most likely one of the guys who played two years prior on Destination Anywhere.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Correct, Correct, Correct. All points true.

Tags
real life (song)