Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Muse to play Wembley Stadium

Other Bands

Old 12-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Tokyo Road

Seems Wembely Stadium loves to mess with people

If Muse are the first to play it, loads of people won't have bought tickets (I reckon) cause they thought someone else was gonna be announced

If someone else is announced, loads of people are gonna be pissed off cos they bought tickets thinking Muse was gonna be first

It's the debacle from this summer all over again ...

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Seems Wembely Stadium loves to mess with people

If Muse are the first to play it, loads of people won't have bought tickets (I reckon) cause they thought someone else was gonna be announced

If someone else is announced, loads of people are gonna be pissed off cos they bought tickets thinking Muse was gonna be first

It's the debacle from this summer all over again ...
wtf?!?!

1) muse could sell out a venue that size, regardless of the prestige of the date

2) if someone was only going to buy tickets because it was the first show, then they would only be bringing the atmosphere down.

3) nowhere at all has it been stated that this is to be the first show at Wembley.

4) it would have to be a really bad night for Muse to leave fans dissapointed

Last edited by BeExcellent; 12-06-2006 at 09:40 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Jovi Freak

Send a message via MSN to Christo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeExcellent View Post
wtf?!?!

1) muse could sell out a venue that size, regardless of the prestige of the date

2) if someone was only going to buy tickets because it was the first show, then they would only be bringing the atmosphere down.

3) nowhere at all has it been stated that this is to be the first show at Wembley.

However good they are, you cannot deny that being the first band to play there would appeal to many people as a good reason to go. Call it an extra incentive for many of those casual Muse fans out there that may not have otherwise gone.

Bon Jovi did make a big deal out of opening the new stadium, I wonder if we will hear of Muse doing a similar thing...

Fernando Torres- turning straight men gay since July 2007
Old 12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo View Post
However good they are, you cannot deny that being the first band to play there would appeal to many people as a good reason to go. Call it an extra incentive for many of those casual Muse fans out there that may not have otherwise gone.

Bon Jovi did make a big deal out of opening the new stadium, I wonder if we will hear of Muse doing a similar thing...
Regards your last point. It is to their credit that they are not hyping the gig as such.

Regards your first point. Yes, that would be an incentive, but an entirely unnecessary one. And, if people buy tickets purely for that reason, i hope Take That, Barry Manillow or Shiteyshiterson announces a show for the Saturday beforehand.

To call this a debacle is entirely unnecessary. Band announces show. Fans excited. End of story.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
wtf?!?!

Debatable. I'm not saying they couldn't, I'm just not as convinced as you seem to be that they can. Especially announcing it about 20 seconds after they've played a UK tour ... sure there'll be a lot of people who are still caught in the moment and buy tickets based on that, but there's also going to be a lot who think "Well I've only just seen them, can't really justify buying more tickets"

Quote:

Be that as it may, people are going to ... why do you think I ended up having spare Bon Jovi Milton Keynes tickets, and only being able to sell them to a tout for £30 each?

Quote:
Whether it's true or not, it's implied. And it does say "first confirmed", which a lot of people will either misread or misunderstand as "first"

Quote:
[/quote]

Did you have tickets for Bon Jovi at Wembley? I wasn't disappointed, not in the slightest, but I was annoyed with the fact that the whole thing was a bit of a shambles, especially at the time where we all had no idea where they were going to play and if the tickets we'd bought would remain valid or not. That's a bit beside the point though, the point is, as Christo pointed out, it's going to leave a lot of casual fans who buy a ticket on it being the first show at Wembley very disappointed if it isnt

Quote:
Yes, that would be an incentive, but an entirely unnecessary one.
Just cos you think the band are Gods among men, doesn't make it so

You can play the game
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Last Man Standing

I dont understand why anyone would go see a band at Wembley, purely because they will be the first to play there. Its not like you get a special ticket for it or anything. Id rather wait and see a band I really wanna see there, be it Bon Jovi, u2 or Oasis. It will still be my first time seeing someone play at the new Stadium.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to Robd788 Send a message via Yahoo to Robd788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotica80 View Post
I dont understand why anyone would go see a band at Wembley, purely because they will be the first to play there. Its not like you get a special ticket for it or anything. Id rather wait and see a band I really wanna see there, be it Bon Jovi, u2 or Oasis. It will still be my first time seeing someone play at the new Stadium.
HERE HERE I was going to Wembley this year to see Bon Jovi, not the stadium.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Tokyo Road

Yeah, but both of you are on a Bon Jovi messageboard, you're not exactly the type of person I'm talking about

OK, take me for example. I've seen Muse live twice, one of which was a part of this tour. They won't have a new album out before they play Wembley, so for all intents and purposes, it'll be the same tour. I didn't go and see them over the UK tour they just did. If they announced that they were playing at Milton Keynes Bowl or Hyde Park or whatever next year, I'd probably have a quick think about whether I wanted to go, and decide that, in the grand scheme of things, there'll probably be a million other gigs that I want to go to next year so I can't really justify going to Muse. But since it's the first gig at the new Wembley, it's just a teeny bit special and, in a way, historical. Which is why I can't decide whehter I should go or not, but am leaning more towards it than I would be if it were anywhere else

You can play the game
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Dry County

Quote:
sure there'll be a lot of people who are still caught in the moment and buy tickets based on that, but there's also going to be a lot who think "Well I've only just seen them, can't really justify buying more tickets"
Muse's entire career has been built on word of mouth and personal experience. They've never been a fashionable band. They've never had the hype that say the Arctic Monkeys have had behind them. They've developed a massive live fanbase purely because of the quality of their shows.

At each stage of their career, they've made themselve accessible to the maximum possible audience before moving up a notch. Before they headlined theatres they had played countless support slots. Before moving up to arenas they'd headlined 3 or 4 theatre tours. When they moved to arenas 2 years ago, they priced their tickets at £17.50 to make sure they had the audience, and sure enough they all came back this year, and brought their frineds when tickets cost £32.00. After selling out their arena tour in more or less a single day and headlining many, many festivals, they have the audience for a Stadium show, no questions asked.

How cool that one of the first bands to play the national stadium is so exemplory of the zeitguiest... If it were any other contemporary act (even one I dislike personally) I couldn't raise an objection.

Quote:

Be that as it may, people are going to ... why do you think I ended up having spare Bon Jovi Milton Keynes tickets, and only being able to sell them to a tout for £30 each?
Because the inaccessable Milton Keynes Bowl meant a lot of people decided to pass on the hassle and expense of an out-of-town trip?

Because you left it till the last minute to get rid of your ticket?

Quote:

Whether it's true or not, it's implied. And it does say "first confirmed", which a lot of people will either misread or misunderstand as "first"
Really don't think it is. You are smart enough to tell the difference between "first confirmed" and "first", why do you think other people aren't up to that level of reasoning?

Quote:

Did you have tickets for Bon Jovi at Wembley?
Yes.

Quote:

It's going to leave a lot of casual fans who buy a ticket on it being the first show at Wembley very disappointed if it isnt
I have no ****ing sympathy whatsoever.

Quote:

Just cos you think the band are Gods among men, doesn't make it so
Surely this is just a petty insult. "He loves Muse. He's like sooooo gay"

EVERY live act has its faults. Jovi rely on Cliche. Springsteen is too political. Muse are too cold and impersonal. You pays your money....

That said. Muse are in the very top flight and have nothing to prove to anyone.

There is no logical reason why the first band to announce a show should be the first band to play a show. If you make that assumption it's your own stupid fault. If having made that assumption you get riled about it, then you are wasting your energy.

Last edited by BeExcellent; 12-07-2006 at 12:27 AM..
Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Muse's entire career has been built on word of mouth and personal experience. They've never been a fashionable band. They've never had the hype that say the Arctic Monkeys have had behind them. They've developed a massive live fanbase purely because of the quality of their shows.

At each stage of their career, they've made themselve accessible to the maximum possible audience before moving up a notch. Before they headlined theatres they had played countless support slots. Before moving up to arenas they'd headlined 3 or 4 theatre tours. When they moved to arenas 2 years ago, they priced their tickets at £17.50 to make sure they had the audience, and sure enough they all came back this year, and brought their frineds when tickets cost £32.00. After selling out their arena tour in more or less a single day and headlining many, many festivals, they have the audience for a Stadium show, no questions asked.
I'm not entirely sure what point your trying to make with this. I'm not disputing that they have a large fanbase, or that they've gone the right way about getting it (although I strongly imagine that just as many people go to their shows that only know 5 or so songs as go to shows by any other band), but I still say that selling they can 100% definetly sell out any stadium in the UK is pure speculation

Quote:
Because the inaccessable Milton Keynes Bowl meant a lot of people decided to pass on the hassle and expense of an out-of-town trip?
One factor among others. In my experience, very few decisions ever stem from just one reason

Quote:
Because you left it till the last minute to get rid of your ticket?
Same answer again

Quote:
Really don't think it is. You are smart enough to tell the difference between "first confirmed" and "first", why do you think other people aren't up to that level of reasoning?
I didn't read the article properly, and as such I didn't actually notice that point until it was pointed out on this board. I'd imagine lots of people will be the same. And also, if information is posted on a messageboard without a link to the source, it may contain misinformation or be misleading

Quote:
Surely this is just a petty insult. "He loves Muse. He's like sooooo gay"
As I've mentioned more than once, I've been to see them live twice, I hardly think I'm in a position to be insulting people for liking them. My point was, just because you think they can sell out any stadium just on the strength of who they are, doesn't make it so

Quote:
EVERY live act has its faults. Jovi rely on Cliche. Springsteen is too political. Muse are too cold and impersonal. You pays your money....
Its just like .... had they been around, you wouldn't have got Muse to play the Moscow Peace Festival in '89 would you? Maybe you would have, I don't know, but I wouldn't, because in my opinion, there are certain times where a connection with the crowd is necessary. A historical event such as the first show at the new Wembley would be one of them

Quote:
That said. Muse are in the very top flight and have nothing to prove to anyone.

There is no logical reason why the first band to announce a show should be the first band to play a show. If you make that assumption it's your own stupid fault. If having made that assumption you get riled about it, then you are wasting your energy.
Opinions are a wonderful thing I think by them being announced first, it is implied that they'll be the first to play, but again perhaps thats just me

Anyway, my problem isn't even with the band, its with ... I'm not even sure, the promoters? The management of the stadium itself? I just think they could have handled it better by either specifically saying or not whether this is going to be the first gig there

You can play the game
BUT NOT ME!!!

Tags
muse, wembley stadium