Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Other Bands

Old 08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Ayone else like this great supergroup? I think they all lost it pretty quickly except Neil Young, but they're worth keeping in mind for the holy trinity of Crosby Stills & Nash - Deja Vu - Four Way Street, and their solo albums from that era.

Solo album-wise, Graham Nash's debut is probably my favourite (not counting Neil as he wins everything) except the song Be Yourself, which can suck my dick. But Stephen Stills' first four are all pretty ****ing rocking, as is Crosby's debut and his CPR albums. Then there's all the awesome Byrds, Crosby & Nash, Hollies and Buffalo Springfield stuff. Pity that Stills-Young band album is crap.

Except for The Beach Boys and The Byrds, I can't think of any other bands whose harmonies are as good. I never felt Neil blended in that well as a backing vocalist, though, so when he's in the band I'd say it's more for the lead vocals, guitar work and songwriting than his harmonic prowess (although there are actually some really good harmonies on Neil Young & Crazy Horse records). Stills at the bottom, Crosby in the middle and Nash on the top is just a magic combination. And for that short period in the late sixties and early 70s when they all wrote countless brilliant songs they were really a seminal band.

It's pretty cool that just through this one supergroup, if you trace back to their own bands and what the other members of their individual members of their band did, you get an amazing list of artists such as The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Crazy Horse, The Hollies, Buffalo Springfield etc etc. CSNY are basically right in the middle of a huge rock family tree.

I saw CSN in June at Hard Rock Calling and they're still excellent, though Stills' voice is bolloxed, and coincidentally I saw Neil Young at the same venue the year before. The songs haven't dried up for him even if they have for the other guys. However, that opening salvo - Woodstock to Military Madness to Almost Cut My Hair is just plain kickass.

Awesome obscure shit - Fillmore East gig 1970, Sea Of Madness and Everybody's Been Burned (studio recordings from '69), the guys doing Neil's Human Highway in 1974 and Stephen's Just Roll Tape album from the other year, recorded in '68 and featuring beautiful solo versions of incredible tunes like Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (clearly one of the best songs ever) and Helplessly Hoping.

Anyone else a fan? I worship at their damn hippy altar.

Last edited by Ferret; 08-09-2010 at 03:23 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

I'm seeing Crosby, Stills & Nash on Wednesday night when they open for Tom Petty here in Atlanta. I'm definitely looking forward to it!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Anyone else a fan? I worship at their damn hippy altar.
I've been worshiping at their damn hippy alter since 1969. And I was a Buffalo Springfield fan and a Byrds fan before their first album. That first album - just called Crosby, Stills and Nash blew many of us out of the water at the time. It opened with Judy Blue Eyes (referencing Judy Collins) who I was also a big fan of. Damn fine music all the way around and it has stood the test of time for me.

I saw the CSNY tour in 2000 and really enjoyed it. I also saw them during the 2004 election in this country being their usual selves. Most recently I saw them at MSG last fall for the RR HOF 25th anniversary where they were still singing awesome harmony. They did some tunes with Simon and Garfunkel which were stellar.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Blaze of Posting

Only really have heard odd bits here and there (mostly from Young's GH, of course) but if any of them are as half as good as Neil, I'll check them out. I already know together they're all superb so it's looking good.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Something for the Posts

Absolutey love the stuff from the Freedom Of Speech Tour 2006, album and film included. Especially the film, in fact, love seeing how much conviction they have and that scene where all the rednecks walk out of the gig is priceless.

That was a really good tour with a great message, and some shit-hot performances.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

I like Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships and Helplessly Hoping. Haven't listened much beyond that. I think Steven Stills is a really good acoustic player and their voices blend well. I must listen more.